RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
I want to add a 50 amp female receptacle powered by my generator

I have a nice big generator on my 2019 Thor Ace.

What I want to do is install a female 50 amp receptacle to my rig that is powered by my generator.

I would like to run my rig's generator and be able to plug a 50 amp cord into it to power a second RV.

I think I know the basics about how to do this, but would welcome any advice, do's and don'ts.

thanks in advance

woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

I did same thing except i wanted to power my house 110v ( genny is 2 circuits of 110v not 220v) if needed and works great.

I wired my inverter to where the genny was connected in the transfer switch. I plug in my shore power to the genny outlet when on road in case its needed.

Could just as easy power another rv from the plug as well.

I bought everything off amazon.

It was straightforward to do, I probably spent more time studying the circuits and how to do it than actually doing it.

Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
I wired my inverter to where the genny was connected in the transfer switch. I plug in my shore power to the genny outlet when on road in case its needed.
Could you elaborate on this a bit?

I'm stuck in the "studying the circuits and how to do it" phase.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #4

Ill make you a sketch but ill try to explain it.

The transfer switch has 2 inputs and 1 output. The inputs on mine were shore power cable and genny. The switch always selects genny if its running, otherwise it selects shore power and makes The connection to the output ( coach breaker box)

I removed the genny wires from the switch and routed to a new 50a box mounted near the switch. So now gen output goes only to the new box.

I wired my inverter to the transfer switch input vacated by the gen.

Now if i turn on inverter it gets selected by xfer sw and powers breaker box ( all circuits)

When i travel, i plug the shore power cable to the new gen box, if i turn inverter off and start gen the xfer sw selects genny to power the breaker box, all circuits.

This also allows gen to power other things such as house, another rv etc by plugging into the new gen box.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jon, that is pretty clever. Are you 30 amp or 50? If 50, did you just parallel the old generator inputs with the inverter output?

Might make for a heck of a brown out if the AC's try to come on.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Jon, the part I'm having difficulty getting my brain around is how the inverter plays into this mod.

My initial thought was to in essence clip the 4 wires going from the generator to the transfer switch.

I would put a male plug on the wires leading back to the generator output. Then I would install a female receptacle on the wires leading to the switch.

When plugged in, it would operate like it does now. When unplugged, it would allow me to plug in the 50amp cord from the other rv.

Seems like then I could power up either rv but not both at the same time.

Am I missing something....?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post
Jon, the part I'm having difficulty getting my brain around is how the inverter plays into this mod.

My initial thought was to in essence clip the 4 wires going from the generator to the transfer switch.

I would put a male plug on the wires leading back to the generator output. Then I would install a female receptacle on the wires leading to the switch.

When plugged in, it would operate like it does now. When unplugged, it would allow me to plug in the 50amp cord from the other rv.

What your suggesting is fine.

Female plug on generator output.

Male plug, just like shore power plug on end of wire, going to auto transfer switch.

Another option is to just wire a female plug at the generator to RV junction box. If none add one.
With that you can run both RVs, within limits of the generator breakers. There is no need to disconnect the wire going to your auto transfer switch.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ah yes, Twin. I had the male and female reversed.

But I like what you suggest about simply wiring in a new female receptacle and calling it a day.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Jon, that is pretty clever. Are you 30 amp or 50? If 50, did you just parallel the old generator inputs with the inverter output?

Might make for a heck of a brown out if the AC's try to come on.
50 amp. I wired the inverter output to where the gen was connected inside the xfer sw. I jumpered both hots together as my inverter has only 1 output circuit. I hope that answers your question.

I can run both a/c on inverter with no brownout but thats not what i intend to do
Old 05-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post

Sorry for the confusion, you dont have to do anything with the inverter, but that was part of my project so i thought i would include it.

What your describing Will work, or if you parallel the new box with existing wiring you could run 2 rvís up to your gen capacity. Just note the neutral wire is larger gauge
Old 05-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Thanks everyone.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You must have a big inverter and plenty of batteries to run AC's. Thanks for responding to my question.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
You must have a big inverter and plenty of batteries to run AC's. Thanks for responding to my question.
Your welcome!
5kw inverter and 4 T-105ís about 2 hr runtime on 1 a/c, probably only 1 hr on 2 but I havenít tested.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pardon getting off topic a bit....

Can someone tell me what size output wires (awg) you have for your 50 amp generator?

Tags
generator, power