Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Ice Maker Issues

Just picked up a 2001 Endeavor a couple weeks ago and can't get the ice maker to do anything. Book says it will start automatically, with the lever down, when the freezer is cold enough. Can anyone tell me how cold the freezer needs to be?
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

I don't know the temp it needs to be at but probably in the 30 degree range. You probably need to be hooked up to city water also. There is a water valve that opens to allow water into the ice maker that can go bad. The drive motor in the ice maker can go bad also. If you do need to replace the whole ice maker you can buy a whirlpool replacement for a fraction of the cost of a Norcold or Dometic supplied one (Whirlpool makes them). I think I paid about $50 to $60 when I replaced mine.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We don't use our ice maker and I've shut off the water supply to it. Mine has a valve down below the refrigerator, in the cold air return for the furnace, and I've shut that valve off.

So the previous owner of yours may have done the same thing.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi 67fisher,
I just went through this a couple of months ago.I have the Dometic frig.My first problem was the water supply line had gotten up against one of the coils and had actually melted almost into and had stopped up the line,once that was replaced I had to purge the water line 5 or 6 times to get it to finally work and the temp should be about 35 to 37 for mine to start making ice.Good Luck and Safe Travels.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
the temp should be about 35 to 37 for mine to start making ice.
It's been a long time. But in school I was taught it took 32º or below to make ice.

Fresh water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit but seawater freezes at about 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit , because of the salt in it. When seawater freezes, however, the ice contains very little salt because only the water part freezes.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check to make sure you have water going to the solenoid valve on the back of the refrigerator. On my coach the icemaker water comes from a filter under the kitchen sink, the is a small T handle type valve that turns it off and on.

If your refrigerator is getting to ~38 F then the freezer will be ~0-4F which should be cold enough to freeze for ice making. I invested in a remote sensor type temperature monitor to keep track of both freezer and refrigerator.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Mine only works when the inverter is on or I'm plugged into ac.
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post
Just picked up a 2001 Endeavor a couple weeks ago and can't get the ice maker to do anything. Book says it will start automatically, with the lever down, when the freezer is cold enough. Can anyone tell me how cold the freezer needs to be?
As mentioned, mine will only work if generator is on or if we are plugged into shore power. You have not given much to go on, is there water flowing into it, are you on gas or electric, more details may be helpful. Also, is everything else in the freezer frozen? If they are then I think it is cold enough.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator336 View Post
I don't know the temp it needs to be at but probably in the 30 degree range. You probably need to be hooked up to city water also. There is a water valve that opens to allow water into the ice maker that can go bad. The drive motor in the ice maker can go bad also. If you do need to replace the whole ice maker you can buy a whirlpool replacement for a fraction of the cost of a Norcold or Dometic supplied one (Whirlpool makes them). I think I paid about $50 to $60 when I replaced mine.
Thanks...I will definitely remember this if I need to replace the entire unit.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Hi 67fisher,
I just went through this a couple of months ago.I have the Dometic frig.My first problem was the water supply line had gotten up against one of the coils and had actually melted almost into and had stopped up the line,once that was replaced I had to purge the water line 5 or 6 times to get it to finally work and the temp should be about 35 to 37 for mine to start making ice.Good Luck and Safe Travels.
I will check into this. I have water up to the solenoid valve but that's all.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Check to make sure you have water going to the solenoid valve on the back of the refrigerator. On my coach the icemaker water comes from a filter under the kitchen sink, the is a small T handle type valve that turns it off and on.

If your refrigerator is getting to ~38 F then the freezer will be ~0-4F which should be cold enough to freeze for ice making. I invested in a remote sensor type temperature monitor to keep track of both freezer and refrigerator.
I do have water to the solenoid valve. The fridge is running about 34 degrees. The freezer is running about 22 degrees.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW ! I will give $3K to anyone who can make water freeze above 32 degrees in an ice maker at normal sea level atmospheric environments.. Most ice makers and freezers require about 0 degrees to operate in a normal condition but RV units may be a little warmer. the unit must also have 117 vac to operate the heater and the timer motor which releases the cubes.

if the unit is defective then a simple replacement is in order. you can find your replacement at LOWES. there are only about three manufactures of ice makers mechanisms. I have a norcold and replacement was about $65 bucks.

incidentally, your refrigerator portion should be held at 40 degreses
Old 01-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #13

Ongoing ice maker thread here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/reque...er-276684.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post
Not sure if all ice makers are the same, but a number I remember seeing in an ice maker manual somewhere (can't remember where) is 17 or 18º before the dump cycle will begin.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote