Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #1

Inherited problems - Onan Marquis 7000 will not Start

I recently recevied a 1995 holiday rambler from someone who passed away and am slowely fixxing it back up here's my problem the genset will not start i have new batteriesfor the coachand new fuses in the genset it is a onan marquis 7000 gas
Any help would be greatly apprecated
Wheelman1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 11:39 PM   #2

So does it crank over.?
Most gas gen problems are fuel pump or gunked up carb. Also most genny won't run if under or near 1/4 tank.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If the generator has not been started for a while the carburetor may be gummed up. Doesn't take long for the gasoline to turn to varnish.

You may have to remove the carb and go through it, completely clean, pull the needle valve and float from the bowl. Make sure it it passing fuel.
Seafoam goes a long way fixing this type of problem.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #4

As I mentioned in another thread yesterday,, I fixed my parents Onan Marquis simply by opening up the carburetor drain and spraying Onan 4C up in there, letting it sit for a day, draining it and doing the same thing again. The RV shop said they needed a new carburetor, but it worked beautifully after I cleaned it without even removing the bowl. It's worth a try. If you can't find "4C", which is discontinued, try Seafoam. Get the spray version so you can stick the straw up the carburetor drain hole. Then once you get it running, make sure to run it on occasion, so it doesn't get gunked up again. Or some people put a shut off on the fuel line, then let it run dry.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
So does it crank over.?
Most gas gen problems are fuel pump or gunked up carb. Also most genny won't run if under or near 1/4 tank.
No i can't get it to do anything
Wheelman1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:27 AM   #6

There should be switches on the dash and at the genny. If neither work, check for fuses near the control panel at the genny. If it cranked and won't run, then the carb, and fuel make sense.
Kenrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #7

If not cranking you need to start looking at all the electrical connections at the generator starting solenoid, the ground connection and the switches. If it's been sitting for a long time, once you get it cranking you're probably going to find you have carburetor problems.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 AM   #8

EDUT Me and above were typing at same time. I also agree to be prepared to clean the carb.
I don't know your genny very well but it should have a starter solenoid. Some are easy to jump across the cables to engage the starter. Also listen for a click as someone tries to start it. Does it have control panel at genny try starting it there. Many heavier pos cables will have large fuses near source distribution area . These don't usually blow unless someone actually shorted the cables or they rubbed through.
Cummins has good manuals as well as service manuals online free skip any sources that try to get you to sing up . Search your Model manual add pdf at end. Flight Systems has good troubleshooting flow charts . They are a great resource for DIY owners.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #9

If cranking.. try starting fluid while cranking.. use all safety precautions.. and with air filter removed... if starts.. you know it's a fuel problem.. if does not.. then something else..

Carb is made to be cleaned.. it's easy and most of time.. nothing needs to be taken apart..
SO don't replace carb..
Report back to us on if it starts with starting fluid into carb.. or if just not cranking at all

Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #10

How to take care of your Onan gas generator

You said it won't do anything. Well then right off the bat the battery needs to be looked at.
No telling how the previous owner maintained it and performed the regular PM items. There's a lot of things that need PM to keep them running right and be dependable along with other practices.
There's is no quick answer to your problem without digging in some, but if you want to learn how to bring this genny back up to snuff with all the PM items—which could very well be part of your problem—watch this 3 part series on YT. You'll be miles ahead of most RVer's on how to care for your Onan.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cn1LTAzgImKgH0
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, ems, problem, problems