Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Uh... The GC-2 batteries are standard lead acid batteries. Or did I miss something in your post?
Mr D,

Sorry for your confusion. You have to read post #50 which is what I was responding to. I forgot to include his quote.

He is asking about stacking a bunch of Lifepo4 batteries which are lithium ion batteries based on the web site.

12.8V (12V) LiFePO4 Battery Packs

Personally, I think he is making a mistake. if he wants to use the lithium battery technology, I suggested a different brand and model that is currently being used in RV's today. I have a couple of friends that invested in them. An it IS an investment. These are NOT cheap.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

(BTW, I love my Banks Power Pack Kit. Had it installed on August 1st. Now I just hope the control box holds up.)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #58

No thanks I'm a pc tech I know lithium batteries and that's what I'm buying.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #59

You do realize that the reason everyone is switching to LFP batteries is because they don't catch fire. Or haven't you been paying attention to Boeing's little lithium problem.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #60

Wjat I wamt to do is hook up a couple of electric motors to both the front and resr wheels to make my RV a hybrid. I may be able to get as much as 16mpg a low speed on level ground. Which is of course most of nyc.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #61

Look at the high school kid who buult a 300hp electric honda. With over 40 1 A dolar/ba2v batteries in my bays I shuld be able to bettet that for my all wheel drive bus.A solar charged battery powered hybrid RV. A project worthy of a retired engineer's attention.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #62

And if it works imagine what it would mean for RV boondocking ad well as RV mpg. Imagine the savings RV'rs would get. The system would pay for ittself in months not years.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
The greatest benefit from this type of discussion forum is the amount of information and differing opinions that people receive to their questions.

However, as individuals, in the end, we all have to make our own final decisions.

It is your money and your RV rig.

Go for it!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skier View Post
I must be the only one out here that really loves the Norcold unit in my 07 Knight! It works great, produces ice cubes reliably, and shifts between 120v and propane when it is supposed to, and for us, that is the difference. Can't imagine boondocking with a house fridge - sounds like more hours on the generator than I want to do. And when we drive, we drive. Not unusual for 10 or 12 hour days with the Allison in "D". When I do stop, I need ice for my Captain & Coke! I guess it is all in what works for you.

Happy with my Norcold and especially fond of Captain & Coke. I use Diet Rite or Shasta Diet Cola (sweetened with Sucralose). Any diet cola with aspartame give me migraine headaches.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
I'm planning on using a Samsung 197. My only question is how many lifepo4 batteries I can stack in the basement
Since they're less than half the size of regular batteries. Plus they are stackable in all directions and don't leak. I'm hoping I can get two or three times as many lfp batteries in the same space. I wonder how many amp hours of storage I'll get. Any Ideas?
If you're serious about lithium you may want to build your own bank rather than buying pre-made. Lots more possibilities there. I definitely think lithium is the future...at some point we'll switch for sure, but that means upgrading our whole charging system too (we're a fair few $$ away at this point). Marine guys are already using them as are some RVers.

These guys have been running them for over a year and have good info on them:
http://www.technomadia.com/lithium/
Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
You do realize that the reason everyone is switching to LFP batteries is because they don't catch fire. Or haven't you been paying attention to Boeing's little lithium problem.
Different kind of lithium, just so you know. The Boeing Dreamliner batteries were Lithium Cobalt cells. The types Marine and RV guys are using is Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4). Totally different ball game.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
And here is another person, a friend of mine, who has been Beta-testing LI batteries for this company in Tampa FL. They replaced ALL of his AGM batteries with LI batteries.

This is the company.

Lithionics RV Li3 Batteries

And his report can be read here. Click on the Lithium Ion Battery Update in blue right at the top.

About RVing - RV LifeStyle - RV Travel Full Time RVing - RV Maintenance - RV Repair

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
And here is another person, a friend of mine, who has been Beta-testing LI batteries for this company in Tampa FL. They replaced ALL of his AGM batteries with LI batteries.

This is the company.

Lithionics RV Li3 Batteries

And his report can be read here. Click on the Lithium Ion Battery Update in blue right at the top.

About RVing - RV LifeStyle - RV Travel Full Time RVing - RV Maintenance - RV Repair

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Nice link. Here's another, very detailed write up from a boating guy. This is a PDF document:
http://marazuladventures.files.wordp...batteries8.pdf

Tags
fridge, install