Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Installing my second residential fridge

I traded-up my motorhome and 2 months into owning my new-to-me one the cooling unit on my 3-year-old Dometic DM2852 failed.

In my previous motorhome I installed a Whirlpool 11MTFA fridge, which worked amazing but I never did like how the doors opened.

So now I'm looking at a Frigidaire FFTR1022QB as a replacement for my Dometic DM2852. From what I could find, the compressor uses 6 amps. Does anyone know of any reason why this fridge would not be a suitable residential replacement for my coach? I have a Prowatt SW 2000 watt inverter which is awesome. Also 4 house batteries.

I had zero trouble with the Whirlpool fridge in my previous coach, but the skeptics always say that it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN the compressor fails due to too much bouncing around. Is there anything that could be done to minimize the bouncing around or whatever it is that they think will fail?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
"......... Is there anything that could be done to minimize the bouncing around or whatever it is that they think will fail?"

Probably the only thing you could do is to turn the unit off while going down the road. That might save some wear on the compressor, I have no idea. We leave our Samsung running while on the road but it really doesn't need to. We have gone 20 hours without power because of a transfer switch failure and everything was still frozen in the freezer compartment. Six to 8 hours of no power will not endanger the contents of your refer
Old 09-04-2015, 05:00 AM   #3
paz

I know residential refrigerators aren't designed to bounce around, but there are an awful lot of them that are being installed in RVs these days. The switch to residential began around the time of the infamous Norcold recalls of several years ago. Many residential refrigerators have been operating trouble free for quite a few years now, so I'm not worried about ours.

Incidentally, I read somewhere Fridgidaire will not cover their products under warranty when installed in an RV. You may want to investigate that further before buying. I don't know about the Whirlpool warranty, but I see many Whirlpools as original equipment in new units. Several iRV2 members who installed Samsungs have reported they had warranty work done, so it would appear that Samsung has no problem with installation in an RV.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I know residential refrigerators aren't designed to bounce around, but there are an awful lot of them that are being installed in RVs these days. The switch to residential began around the time of the infamous Norcold recalls of several years ago. Many residential refrigerators have been operating trouble free for quite a few years now, so I'm not worried about ours.

Incidentally, I read somewhere Fridgidaire will not cover their products under warranty when installed in an RV. You may want to investigate that further before buying. I don't know about the Whirlpool warranty, but I see many Whirlpools as original equipment in new units. Several iRV2 members who installed Samsungs have reported they had warranty work done, so it would appear that Samsung has no problem with installation in an RV.

I have a Whirpool frig-- the compressor went out on it. Whirpool sent a appliance repair company out to fix it.

The service guy pulled the frig out into the kitchen. Ordered new compressor & came back two days later and fixed it. He put frig back into the wall & bolted it back in.

All this under warrantee by Whirpool. I never did anything other than sign the paperwork that the work was done. Now my Whirpool had ONLY a one year warrantee.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Frigidaire FFTR1514QW4 which works fine with a sine wave inverter. The original evaporator fan had circuitry in it which burned out the first day with a MSW inverter. The replacement doesn't look like it has that circuitry but is riveted together so I can't tell.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

Check at Sears as they sell many brands and are pushy regarding "service plans".

You may be able to get fair rate for service plan but be certian you add description of installation in the contract.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I have a Whirpool frig-- the compressor went out on it. Whirpool sent a appliance repair company out to fix it.

The service guy pulled the frig out into the kitchen. Ordered new compressor & came back two days later and fixed it. He put frig back into the wall & bolted it back in.

All this under warrantee by Whirpool. I never did anything other than sign the paperwork that the work was done. Now my Whirpool had ONLY a one year warrantee.

Russell
Good to know. I assumed they were covering their units in RVs since so many manufacturers are using them.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm also looking at residential refrigerators to replace my Norcold N841. I need one equal to or less than 24" wide by 60" high.
I've found several "apartment size" refrigerators that should fit. The Frigidaire 10 cu ft FFTR1022QB you mentioned has excellent reviews.
Frigidaire also has a new 11.5 cu ft energy star model, FFET1222QS that look good and ultra low energy use.
GE has an 11.5 cu ft model that has an optional ice maker. Model Model # GPS12FGHBB.
There are lots of choices out there. Let us know what you end up with?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I ordered the Frigidaire 10 cu ft Model# FFET1022QB. The depth was less than the 11.5 cu ft GE or Frigidaire units and it is a newer Energy Star model. They are currently on sale at Home Depot. Now need to figure out how to secure it in the cabinet.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I ordered the Frigidaire FFTR1022QB from Menard's for $404 on sale. Should be arriving this coming week. I also bought the extended warranty as I know the local guy who has the Menard's contract for service and he'd have no problem fixing a fridge in a motorhome.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Got the new fridge from Menard's installed. Had to remove a window to take the old one out and put the new one in.

I don't have the fridge hooked to an inverter yet. In this particular coach accessing the batteries will be quite a challenge so that will take some head-scratching. But meanwhile, I at least have a working fridge when hooked to shore or generator power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frdige1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	109841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge2.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	109843  

Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a Samsung 197 in my Winn Journey in place of the Norcold 1211. It fit with about 3/4" air space on both sides. To secure the top of the fridge to prevent it moving while underway, I used 1-1/2" angle aluminum. I used outdoor 3M double sided tape on the bottom of the angle aluminum to secure it to the top of the fridge and attached the vertical piece to a hardwood board across the top with several wood screws. This blocked the front of the fridge and prevents either vertical or sideways movement. On fridge rear, I used four "L" brackets attached to existing screw holes along the bottom and the other side to the floor - 3/4" plywood I added to cover a wire loom. Blocked the front bottom with a 3" wide piece of oak to really secure it in place. Had it for installed for almost 18 months and it hasn't moved. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I had to saw away about 1/2" of the trim from the left side of the opening. Trim was solid oak! So the fridge fit snug enough that I simply drove screws from inside the fridge into the oak after drilling a pilot hole. Worked awesome.

Tags
fridge, install