Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Intelligent Battery Chargers which one?

Choosing an Intelligent Battery Charger? Not a just for the RV.

T105, group 24
I am sure this has been discussed but I can't find anything current?

I have been looking for a battery charger to bring the batteries up to full charge when storing over the winter, and charging all other 12 volt batteries (not just a tender, or jump starter) but a multi stage that can handle deep cycle and starting batteries.

I have been considering the CTEK MULTI US 25000 but if anyone has a better suggestion for an intelligent charger I am open to any suggestion.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 01:55 AM   #2

I too been looking into chargers. Considering a mounted, always connected marine 6 to 10 amp charger. West Marine is a good place to look. Then price compare on Amazon.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:44 PM   #3

Sorry to high jack but I'm looking for basically the same. I have a new TT with two 12v batteries wired in parallel. There is no 110 power at the RV storage yard so I can't use anything to keep the batteries topped off? Or is there something solar that would be big enough to provide a trickle charge while the trailer sits? Or is my only option to remove both batteries and take them home to charge in the garage? I already installed a disconnect.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:11 AM   #4

If you have access to the sun? There are solar chargers that will work but you need to calculate the required voltage/amperage for your particular battery installation. You will also check the batteries to maintain the water levels from time to time.

This won't work for me living in Alaska, snow will cover the collector, days are to short and we travel so no one will be on site for long periods of time.

An example:

The Coleman 6-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger is the ideal solution for maintaining 12-Volt batteries for your cars, RVs, tractors, ATVs, electric fences, deer feeders, boats, and more. This unit is completely weatherproof and charges in all daylight conditions, even in the shade. The built-in blocking diode protects battery discharge at night. A perfect solution for battery maintenance, this unit is completely maintenance free and easy to install. The complete kit includes: 6-Watt amorphous panel, 12-Volt DC plug, battery clamps, mounting hardware, and Quick Connect Technology. It has a maximum power output of 6-Watt, 400mAh.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
If you have access to the sun? There are solar chargers that will work but you need to calculate the required voltage/amperage for your particular battery installation. You will also check the batteries to maintain the water levels from time to time.

This won't work for me living in Alaska, snow will cover the collector, days are to short and we travel so no one will be on site for long periods of time.

An example:

The Coleman 6-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger is the ideal solution for maintaining 12-Volt batteries for your cars, RVs, tractors, ATVs, electric fences, deer feeders, boats, and more. This unit is completely weatherproof and charges in all daylight conditions, even in the shade. The built-in blocking diode protects battery discharge at night. A perfect solution for battery maintenance, this unit is completely maintenance free and easy to install. The complete kit includes: 6-Watt amorphous panel, 12-Volt DC plug, battery clamps, mounting hardware, and Quick Connect Technology. It has a maximum power output of 6-Watt, 400mAh.
Yes, lots of sun here. I just don't know how to do the math to figure out what sized wattage solar charger would be needed. Would I need two of those since I have two batteries? Would I be able to leave the batteries connected to the RV while this solar unit is connected too? I'm guessing the little 2 watt $15 one would be too small for even one 12v battery? Do these solar chargers know to stop charging once they are full?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #6

I have a marine type ProMariner 40 amp charger. It plugs in. But works fine on my generator. I can recommend this by my experience. For solar check this mad man, https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Choosing an Intelligent Battery Charger? Not a just for the RV.

T105, group 24
I am sure this has been discussed but I can't find anything current?

I have been looking for a battery charger to bring the batteries up to full charge when storing over the winter, and charging all other 12 volt batteries (not just a tender, or jump starter) but a multi stage that can handle deep cycle and starting batteries.

I have been considering the CTEK MULTI US 25000 but if anyone has a better suggestion for an intelligent charger I am open to any suggestion.
S Bradley
Many motor homes already have a built in on board "inverter/3 stage automatic battery charger" which will accomplish exactly what you think you need another charger to do for you.
Are you sure yours doesn't?
Mel
'96 Safari, Heart Freedom 20 inverter/charger
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
S Bradley
Many motor homes already have a built in on board "inverter/3 stage automatic battery charger" which will accomplish exactly what you think you need another charger to do for you.
Are you sure yours doesn't?
Mel
'96 Safari, Heart Freedom 20 inverter/charger
Yes I do have a three stage on board it works great, but in the winter I am not always able to be near the RV to plug in or run the generator. I also have the chassis battery it isn't charged by the converter/charger. Additionally I have other batteries that need to be cared for.

There are so many choices with ratings that are just advertisements, I was hoping to get opinions for our group of users.

Thank you,
Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
Yes, lots of sun here. I just don't know how to do the math to figure out what sized wattage solar charger would be needed. Would I need two of those since I have two batteries? Would I be able to leave the batteries connected to the RV while this solar unit is connected too? I'm guessing the little 2 watt $15 one would be too small for even one 12v battery? Do these solar chargers know to stop charging once they are full?
I would contact Battery Tender, they sell Solar panels 5,10,15 watt with a built in Solar Converter. I am sure they can help size the unit for you. If you have two in parallel I doubt 2 watts will be large enough.

Just an informational point the Battery Tender is also an intelligent charger just at very low amperage.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes I do have a three stage on board it works great, but in the winter I am not always able to be near the RV to plug in or run the generator. I also have the chassis battery it isn't charged by the converter/charger. Additionally I have other batteries that need to be cared for.
There are so many choices with ratings that are just advertisements, I was hoping to get opinions for our group of users.
Thank you,
S Bradley
Understood.

My coach always has shore power when it's being stored, with which the 3 stage charger in my on board inverter/charger maintains the 4 12v deep cycle marine house batteries.

A 5 watt solar panel maintains the charge in the 2 12V maintenance free chassis batteries, which on my coach, like yours, isn't charged by the on board charger.

Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #11

After further research I am leaning toward changing out the converter to a true sine wave inverter charger.

My reasoning the:
Inverter provides a clean AC power source true sine wave inverter.
Replacing the modified sine wave inverter, better for the expensive electronics.
The charger provides Intelligent 3 stage charging at 20 amp charging at
a higher rate of charge.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #12

Battery Minder

S Bradley-

I have an earlier model of the Battery Minder 8A charger. bestconverter.com offers a current model at this link. (I see it's out of stock, so here's a link to the product at Amazon.) I use it on my AGM house batteries and various other flooded vehicle batteries I have. It has served me well.

You did ask for a solution that would work for all 12V batteries, not just those in your RV.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery