Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Intellitec Battery Control Center

My motorhome has an Intellitec Battery Control Center P/N 00-00635-000. It appears to be functioning normally. The Battery Control Center has what appears to be a modification. A relay has been added that connects the chassis and coach batteries together anytime the ignition switch is on. See the first attachment to see the relay. The relay in question is in a red box. See the second attachment to see how it is connected to the Intellitec Battery Control Center. The relay is also in a red box in the schematic.

This relay seems redundant because that is what the Intellitec Battery Control Center does in a much more intelligent way. It addition, the 10 gauge wires connecting the relay to the batteries seems too small.

Does anyone know if this is a common modification to the Intellitec Battery Control Center? If it is a known modification why is it necessary or desirable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1023-Red.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	373056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auxiliary Battery Disconnect modified2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	373057  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #2

That relay might be fine with much bigger wire size, but 10 gauge is way too small. It has an ampacity of 60A which means that any more creates the potential of melting the wire's installation.

You could easily get that much current with either one of the batteries near dead (more likely the coach battery because the chassis battery has to first start the engine) then the other one will supply lots of current and possibly exceed 60A.

I would remove it and then see if the Intellitec still operates as designed.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #3

I'm not very proficient at reading automotive schematics but it looks like it's doing the same thing that the aux start switch is already doing, when the ignition is turned on. I wonder if it being tied into F8 would be a clue. Maybe disconnect the solenoid feed and see if something stops working.

Curious to see what you find.

Jim58
Old 08-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #4

The boost / isolation solenoids are prone to failure. Could this be a previous owners work around.

Or is it factory ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
That relay might be fine with much bigger wire size, but 10 gauge is way too small. It has an ampacity of 60A which means that any more creates the potential of melting the wire's installation.

You could easily get that much current with either one of the batteries near dead (more likely the coach battery because the chassis battery has to first start the engine) then the other one will supply lots of current and possibly exceed 60A.

I would remove it and then see if the Intellitec still operates as designed.

David
Or at the very least put a fuse on it.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The boost / isolation solenoids are prone to failure. Could this be a previous owners work around.

Or is it factory ?
I'm thinking it is for charging the coach battery while driving. I'm tired so I more then likely wrong.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:36 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the added relay that connects the coach and chassis batteries when the ignition switch is on is redundant. The Battery Control Center appears to be working as designed and connects the batteries in an intelligent way whether the charge current is coming from the engine alternator or from the converter.

Unless one of you think of something I'm missing I think I will disconnect the extra relay and see if everything still works.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:26 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am now sure that the relay I mentioned in the first post of this thread is something extra added to the Intellitec Battery Control Center. See attachment 1.

It is easy to see that this extra relay connects the chassis and coach batteries together whenever the ignition switch is ON. This relay is definitely not needed and because of the small wire size can be dangerous.

This a quote from the Intellitec Battery Control Center Manual:

Charging Circuit

"The charging circuit, (which utilizes an isolator solenoid to connect the two batteries together for charging) will charge both batteries if either battery is being charged. It operates by sensing the voltage on the main and auxiliary batteries. If either voltage goes above 13.3 volts (the minimum necessary to fully charge a battery) for more than about 14 seconds, the isolator solenoid will pull in, charging both batteries. If the voltage falls below 12 volts for more than 4 seconds while the ignition is on, the isolator relay will open, keeping all of the alternator's output available for the chassis functions. If the ignition is off and the auxiliary battery voltage should drop below 12.8 volts (voltage of a fully charged battery) for 4 seconds, the isolator relay will open, preventing the coach loads from discharging the main battery."

I'm am including a schematic of the Battery Control Center for reference. See attachment 2. Note the 'Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay Electronics' (BIRD) on the schematic. The components of the BIRD are on a PC board that is integrated into the Battery Control Center. Attachment 3 is a picture of the PC board. Note the 2 large connectors on the left side of the board and the row of fuses. That part of the PC board is visible in Attachment 1. The rest of the components of the PC board are under the relays.

Looking at the PC board it is obvious that the circuit is really simple. It does not use sophisticated electronics to achieve its function. Not much to go wrong.

I disconnected the extra relay and tested the function of the Battery Control Center. It functions as described in the quote from the Intellitec Battery Control Center Manual. I did not attempt to measure the delay times nor did I attempt to verify the low battery function defined in the Manual. But it does connect and disconnect the batteries from each other using the Isolator Relay at the appropriate times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG1023.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	373170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Control Center.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	373171  

Name:	BIRD.jpg