RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagn View Post
It was tripped couple weeks ago and I reset it...basically nothing changed...one last remark/question before i throw in towel and take to shop...I ran new wire from converter to circuit breaker in BCC. Before I hooked it up it showed 13.8V. I used ground on vehicle and red to end of wire (voltmeter). As soon as I hooked the wire to CB it didn't change voltage (11.6v) before and after new wire for test. I then hooked to battery with all the other wires still hooked up and no change...could that be neutral wire from converter (white)? way too deep for me...
At this juncture, I don't think you have much choice but to take it to a qualified technician. Don't be too surprised when they suggest major work and replacement actions with associated major costs. Good luck
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #30

News Flash re: Draining chassis batteries

Quote:
It was tripped couple weeks ago and I reset it...basically nothing changed...one last remark/question before i throw in towel and take to shop...I ran new wire from converter to circuit breaker in BCC. Before I hooked it up it showed 13.8V. I used ground on vehicle and red to end of wire (voltmeter). As soon as I hooked the wire to CB it didn't change voltage (11.6v) before and after new wire for test. I then hooked to battery with all the other wires still hooked up and no change...could that be neutral wire from converter (white)? way too deep for me...
God is Good...while attempting to run a new neutral (white) wire from converter, when I unhooked it, it was "loose". Tightened it up and ALL works again!!! As a matter of fact it was so high it kicked out breakers and now works great with them tripped...holding 14.4 Volts...when I reset jumps to 15.5 and kicks them out one of them)...Another problem brewing? Thanks for all of your expert help in diagnosing...
swagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
God is Good...while attempting to run a new neutral (white) wire from converter, when I unhooked it, it was "loose". Tightened it up and ALL works again!!! As a matter of fact it was so high it kicked out breakers and now works great with them tripped...holding 14.4 Volts...when I reset jumps to 15.5 and kicks them out one of them)...Another problem brewing? Thanks for all of your expert help in diagnosing...
Glad you now have the required charging that you wanted, but there is obviously still a BIG problem with your system. The BCC simply is NOT functioning as designed.

I suggest that you just leave the breakers "tripped" until/unless you decide to have the system restored to operational. I doubt you've seen the last of this problem situation.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
Glad you now have the required charging that you wanted, but there is obviously still a BIG problem with your system. The BCC simply is NOT functioning as designed.

I suggest that you just leave the breakers "tripped" until/unless you decide to have the system restored to operational. I doubt you've seen the last of this problem situation.
As I thought, the converter went out, started smelling and then quit charging. I have another one coming and will see what happens. I hope this may not be "another" band-aid although didn't have any issues until November so I am hoping the loose wire started the problem and/or the converter was going out. Thank you for your wisdom and assitance...
Old 02-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #33
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Once you have the new charger in place and things are charging check to see if both banks are getting charged. If they are someone has probably added a replacement device versus fixing the existing system.

Here is an example.

Combiner 100 Sheet
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Once you have the new charger in place and things are charging check to see if both banks are getting charged. If they are someone has probably added a replacement device versus fixing the existing system.
This is a very real possibility considering the strange symptoms, and previous wire cutting, described by the OP.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post

Here is an example.

Combiner 100 Sheet
That is great info...many thanks. Also, i have 2012 Ford Edge and considering towing all down vs dolly (most say this is better option all down). Do you have to do anything different like start every 6-8 hrs to circulate oil? Also anyway to get around the hooks not being seen when not towing or cut into the frt bumper?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #36
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
That is great info...many thanks. Also, i have 2012 Ford Edge and considering towing all down vs dolly (most say this is better option all down). Do you have to do anything different like start every 6-8 hrs to circulate oil? Also anyway to get around the hooks not being seen when not towing or cut into the frt bumper?
Check your manual closely. Not all Edge models are towable. Yes it should be started when you stop for fuel or food after a few hours. A charge line is really helpful especially if you have the keyless ignition system. If you have the adaptive cruise you will need to be sure the tow bar is compatible. Most bars are not obtrusive. DO NOT use an Invisibrake with diodes. There are known issues with the thing locking up. Mine has done it several times. My hooks came with nice covers.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
intellitec, manual