Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Intermittent Atwood water heater

Atwood WH model GCH 10A 4E is intermittent at best on both power sources. It is in a 2006 Journey.

I have a good 14v on input pins (white and orange- electric and gas )

I have a good 14v on brown wires with good connectivity through Tstat and have temporalily bypassed thermo cutoff just to be sure it wasn't a cause.

ECO switch has good connectivity but I only measure 9.7v. I have cleaned all contacts on the 4 and 6 pin connectors and they all appear solid.

I am thinking about changing out board, but I don't remember ever having an intermittent board. If I do change out board I am considering a dinosaur UIB 64.

Your thoughts please.
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPO1980 View Post
Atwood WH model GCH 10A 4E is intermittent at best on both power sources. It is in a 2006 Journey.

I have a good 14v on input pins (white and orange- electric and gas )

I have a good 14v on brown wires with good connectivity through Tstat and have temporalily bypassed thermo cutoff just to be sure it wasn't a cause.

ECO switch has good connectivity but I only measure 9.7v. I have cleaned all contacts on the 4 and 6 pin connectors and they all appear solid.

I am thinking about changing out board, but I don't remember ever having an intermittent board. If I do change out board I am considering a dinosaur UIB 64.

Your thoughts please.
ECO circuit (Red wire from circuit board to/thru ECO to gas valve) should have FULL DC voltage when on GAS
**Are you measuring 9.7VDC at the edge connector or at ECO?

FYI-----ECO circuit should have millivolts when on electric
*Places ECO in control loop if T-stat Fails

Are the spade connectors tight on the ECO terminals?
Are the ECO terminals tight...don't move ?

RED wire is the 'Valve Track'
With circuit board removed and all wiring disconnected you can test the power track using a voltmeter set to ohms scale
Red probe on Red wire edge connector
Black probe on Green wire edge connector
Should have continuity....

Brown wire is the 'Power Track'
Red probe on TOP Brown wire edge connector
Black probe on Green wire edge connector
Should have continuity.....

Intermittent issues........
Grounds...loose/dirty/corroded

Dino board UIB 64...great replacement
Better quality circuits
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply.

I went back out this morning to check my readings again. When I touched my vom probe to one of the tstat connections the WH gas side fired up.
Electric is also good now and
has been working all day.

Even though I got over 12v on both sides of the tstat yesterday and the connections felt strong when I pulled them off something was not making a good connection.

I will leave as is for now as we are parked. I have ordered new tstat and eco, and will open it up and get a good look when they arrive to figure out the cause of the intermittent connection. I did replace them both about 3 years or so ago because of a tstat failure.

Thanks again for the reply.

Safe travels
Old 02-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Replaced thermostat and made sure all connections were clean and making good contact.

WH is back up and running well.

Thank you Old Biscuit!
Old 02-16-2022, 05:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the Update and resolution.

Hot water good!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater