Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Intermittent problem with my Coleman Mach 8 15K heat pump

My one remaining original rooftop unit is acting up. Its behavior is very puzzling. Here's what happens. If the AC has sat off for a week or so (I don't have an exact amount of time, but it is more than a day or two), the compressor and blower turn on and run for about 3-40 minutes. After that, the compressor shuts off and the blower continues to run. After 3 or 4 days, it will run again for about 30-40 minutes.

In trying to diagnose the problem, I tried short the red and yellow wires on the thermostat. According the the pin out on the thermostat, this should turn the compressor on. The first time I tried it, the compressor fired right up. I put the thermostat back and everything was fine for 30-40 minutes when the compressor quit. I tried the red wire to yellow wire trick again and I could hear the relay click, but the compressor didn't start. 3 or 4 days later, it did.

Since I can make it fail and it takes so long for it to start again, I am guessing this isn't a temperature, freeze, or pressure problem. I would think overnight would resolve any one of those issues. On the other hand, I am not so sure about the start and run capacitors. I am not sure how they fit into the equation. If one of the caps was leaking or shorted, could it take days to resolve?

I recently had foot surgery and cannot get on the roof. I have a mobile repair guy coming over next week and I am hoping to get him to diagnose the problem and repair it, rather than telling me I need to replace the unit.

Has anyone seen this problem or can anyone steer me somewhere I can get some help? Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #2

Based on the symptoms, and the situation, I'd carry a set of caps up there with me. Also, your Coleman is newer, so I'd be looking for something that's gone bad, not just aged out. As you say, it doesn't sound like there's a bad compressor. If it was bad, you'd most certainly hear some weird noises as it started up or while running. I don't know about your model, but in the old days, compressors sometimes came with their own start relays, and your symptoms remind me of that being bad. Not sure modern ACs have those any more though.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I guess I should have posted the model. It's a 47074A879.

Tags
coleman, heat, heat pump, problem, pump