RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #1

Inverter

I hookup a aimes 2500 inverter to two 6 volt batteries. Seems all was good and working fine. When I was hook up to shore power the inverter would switch and start charging. Today I was hook up to a 110 outlet and all was fine until I turned on my a/c. Started to smell wires and the positive from the battery was very hot. I turned off the ac and it cool down. Is it possible that this happened because I was hook up to 110 and if it was a 30 amp it wouldn't happen?

letup27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by letup27 View Post
I hookup a aimes 2500 inverter to two 6 volt batteries. Seems all was good and working fine. When I was hook up to shore power the inverter would switch and start charging. Today I was hook up to a 110 outlet and all was fine until I turned on my a/c. Started to smell wires and the positive from the battery was very hot. I turned off the ac and it cool down. Is it possible that this happened because I was hook up to 110 and if it was a 30 amp it wouldn't happen?

Batteries should not be affected by turning on ac unless your trying to run ac off of inverter with your set up. A 15 amp Circut is border line able to run ac.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #3

110 and 30 amps are the same voltage, 120 volts.

Some 120 volt outlets are 15 amps, some 20 amps, and RV ones are 30 amps.

As far as the inverter/charger, what model do you have.

A 2500 watt inverter with 2 batteries isn't going to run an air conditioner, although it seems yours is trying.

How is it wired into the system ?

It must have a pass thru switch and a line in and line out connections for the 120 volts. It should NOT be wired to power the AC, gas/electric fridge, or gas/electric water heater, on electric.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:19 AM   #4

2500 WATT LOW FREQUENCY PURE SINE INVERTER CHARGER 12 VDC to 120 VAC
Im not trying to run the a/c off the inverter. I will only be using the inverter for tv, sat, charging stuff, lights. Not the a/c.

I removed the main 10/2 shore power wire from rv panel box and installed a junction box and extended it to the input on the inverter. Installed a 10/2 wire from the out on the inverter to the main in the panel box. I have 4/0 wire running to the neg/pos. When I turn the inverter on everything is working fine. If I plug into shore power the ats in the inverter switches to shore power and the inverter says its charging, all good. While plug into shore power I ran my ac and after a hour or so I started to smell wires and the 4/0 leads where hot. I shut the air and everything cooled down. I call Aimes tech support and the guy said that I should only use a 30 amp receptacle. A second tech guy at aimes said that I need a separate ATS. The inverter has a internal ATS. So the question is why when Im connected to shore power and turn the a/c on the 4/0 wires get hot? If the ATS is doing its job the shore power shouldn't affect the 12 volt side.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
2500 WATT LOW FREQUENCY PURE SINE INVERTER CHARGER 12 VDC to 120 VAC
Im not trying to run the a/c off the inverter. I will only be using the inverter for tv, sat, charging stuff, lights. Not the a/c.

I removed the main 10/2 shore power wire from rv panel box and installed a junction box and extended it to the input on the inverter. Installed a 10/2 wire from the out on the inverter to the main in the panel box. I have 4/0 wire running to the neg/pos. When I turn the inverter on everything is working fine. If I plug into shore power the ats in the inverter switches to shore power and the inverter says its charging, all good. While plug into shore power I ran my ac and after a hour or so I started to smell wires and the 4/0 leads where hot. I shut the air and everything cooled down. I call Aimes tech support and the guy said that I should only use a 30 amp receptacle. A second tech guy at aimes said that I need a separate ATS. The inverter has a internal ATS. So the question is why when Im connected to shore power and turn the a/c on the 4/0 wires get hot? If the ATS is doing its job the shore power shouldn't affect the 12 volt side.
Seems like you did things right,, I get dwnlded the manual.

using 10/2 is good for hok up,,, make sure the input and out put are correct.

This inverter has a powersaver mode that senses
ac load and then transfers or allows inverter to hand the load.. This may e the issue, the AC load on the shore side may under voltage and inverter is taking priority....

check that function
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:32 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	EAAF5510-3C74-4417-8164-82B2A77F8B7A.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	291909Click image for larger version

Name:	DA91C820-7B9E-409E-9113-D14BDBCBC1AE.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	291910
Old 07-04-2020, 04:35 AM   #7

Are you saying I should switch to power safer mode when hook up to shore?
Old 07-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #8

You didn't do it right.

You only want the things you want to run thru the inverter should be connected to it.

Not the AC, water heater or other high amp draw things.

What may be happening is the AC and other loads are overloading your 110? shore power. ( probably 15 amps ).
Power your using is not enough for the outlet to handle and the inverter is switching on to take over powering things.

The inverter ATS is probably quickly switching back and forth, causing your overheating issue.

You need to wire the AC, water heater, and gas/electric fridge to a point before the inverter so it can't run thru it.

That is how inverters are factory installed in most RVs.

Here is a shot showing the flow from shore power to the main panel and then sub panel for inverter powered stuff.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-07-04-08-20-19.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	291916
Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #9

So I will need a separate ATS. Isn't thats what the AST in the inverter suppose to do. Bypass the inverter...
Amies tech guy said I can't use a 120 outlet. Has to be 30 amp.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
So I will need a separate ATS. Isn't thats what the AST in the inverter suppose to do. Bypass the inverter...
Amies tech guy said I can't use a 120 outlet. Has to be 30 amp.
That may help.

Do you have the original charger running ?

That can NOT be running on inverter power either. It will use the batteries to charge same batteries. That never works.

Easy fix is to put it back to normal, and simply plug your power cord into inverter when no shore power is available. Then don't use high amp devices.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A separate ATS placed between the AC panel and the loads you want the inverter to power would be best.

Keep in mind that an ATS is nothing more than a double pole, double throw relay with contacts rated for the load and a 120VAC coil. Energize the coil from the normal AC panel power so that when power is lost the relay will de-energize and switch to the inverter automatically. You need the double pole to switch power AND the neutral.

A quick and easy single circuit (15 amps) relay/ATS - http https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S5Y158/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1://
Old 07-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #12

if the shore power is going to the inverter/charger/ats why will I need another ats.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #13

My plan was to keep the breakers off for the refrigerator, water heater and ac while using the inverter.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My plan was to keep the breakers off for the refrigerator, water heater and ac while using the inverter.
What is plan B if you forget or miss a breaker.

What is plane C when you’re not around and shore power is lost and the inverter switches over?

Tags
inverter