Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Inverter-Charger installation Help

My houseboat does not have an inverter and I need to install one to run a couple of floor fans for 8-10 hours and maybe the coffee pot.

I am at a disadvantage by having a boat as I have not found a local dependable mobile RV mechanic and my generator guy does not work on inverters. So I am going to have to install and maintain this system myself and it needs to be a KISS system.

I just replaced my converter with a Progressive Dynamics (PD4645V) 45 Amp Converter/Charger with Built-In Charge Wizard and it works great. The area I want to put the inverter and battery(s) is right next to the converter, which happens to be under the guest bed.

I am not wanting to use the converter to charge the battery(s) simply because I don’t want to re-do anything and maybe mess up what I have that works perfectly. I have 3 other batteries in an outside compartment that have a separate charger for the generator, outboard motors and existing house battery.

My options then are to buy a charger and an inverter or buy a charger-inverter combo.

I am considering a Samlex PST 1000 (we might go with a 1500) however we might want to get another inverter that we can hardwire in later. I haven’t researched chargers yet but assume I could get one like I already have that has worked for the last 12 years without a problem.

I have looked at batteries today and Wal-Mart has an Everstart 29DC with 845 CA and 122 Amp Hours for only $86 and only a 1 year replacement guarantee.

NAPA model 7236 $119 has 1140 CA and battery reserve capacity of 175 minutes. How does that relate to Amp Hours? It does have a 3-year warranty.

My questions are:

Any suggestions on a 1000 watt charger-inverter combo in the $4-500 range?

Is there a safety issue with the battery and charger being inside and under the bed?

Is it better to install a separate charger and inverter?

How easy is it to use my converter as a charger and get just an inverter?

Will either of these batteries be a good choice?

How does reserve capacity relate to amp hours?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Grubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

Check out "Compass Marine".
and "cruisersforum" for setting up boat systems.

Get Sam's Club or Costco, 6 volt GC2. batteries. I use them in my boat. True deep cycle.

Don't put batteries under a bed with out vented battery box's.

If you must, use the Sam's Club 6 volt gc2, AGM batteries. They don't "off gas".
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #3

Before you do anything else figure out what kind of power you need to transform. Just add up the wattage rating of the fans and the coffee pot. That will give you a clue about how big an inverter you need. Knowing the inverter size will let you pick batteries. You need 2x enough battery to run your load for the desired time. Multiply watts x hours for each load and total. You need enough charger to replace that total in 24 hours or less. You do not want any that are rated in CCA. They are not deep cycle. You need watt hour or amp hour ratings and the disharge current that is measured at.

Every conversion costs energy. I would be very tempted to look for 12V fans and maybe coffee pot. It may cost less than the inverter but you will still need the batteries. You will want a "true sine wave" inverter for the fans and maybe the coffee pot.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Second the unvented battery under the bed! Drip coffee makers, even the small ones, like watts. On my boat, off the grid, shore power, I use gas and a perkolator pot. Agree 100% with the 2 golf cart batteries...235 amp/hours of power and long life if you only discharge them 50%.
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter