Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I installed a 1500 watt Samlex pure sine wave inverter. I run it by doing what you are proposing, and I have added a power strip at the AC power source for the converter. When I turn on the inverter I simply shut off the power strip which cuts power to the converter. That way you won't be charging you batteries with your batteries, in a loop.

If this is all you want to do, you can save a lot of time, and expense by just using a small inverter 300W where you need them by plugging in you DC power points. I have 2 bestek 300 w inverters, they each cost less than $25. I use them to watch TV when I spend the night a Walmart.
Thanks Homeless and Davdeb. I would love to just run the tv's/sat straight to the inverter, but like I mentioned, they all plug in in various spots throughout the coach. I would have a spiders web of wires running along the floors if I tried to do that. ie: the outside tv plugs in underneath the stove behind a drawer....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my coach all the entertainment items are on the same circuit. I installed a 1500 w msw inverter in the bay next to the battery area, from the breaker box ran the circuit out to a Xantrex auto transfer switch and back. The auto transfer switch is plugged into the inverter and can power the circuit when needed. Installed a remote on/off switch for the inverter in the coach so can activate when driving so passenger can plug AC devices in. Love this set up as I do not need to plug or unplug anything. Just hit one button to turn on inverter and don't have to worry about it when on shore power or gen set with auto transfer switch.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #17

jiwky
Since you only want to power a satellite receiver and 1 or 2 TVs with your added inverter, you don't need a "whole coach inverter".

IMO, the best way to inverter power the TV(s) and sat receiver with a 100watt inverter would be to add two new receptacles powered only by the added inverter.... (1 for the sat receiver and 1 TV and 1 for the other TV).

If/when you have no shore power and want to watch TV simply:
1.) Unplug the power cords of the TV(s) and the sat receiver from the existing shore power receptacles.
2.) Plug them into the inverter powered receptacles.
3.) Turn the inverter on.

To conserve your batteries turn the inverter off anytime you are not watching TV.

If/when you do have shore power plug the power cords into the the existing shore power receptacles.

BTW, I see no reason to turn the converter off.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Thanks Vsheetz, MrD and Scarab! I understand the furnace runs off propane and 12v, but I didn't know if when on shore power the furnace actually got it's 12 volts from the converter via shore power. ie: With the inverter hooked to shore power cord, is the electricity flowing from the batteries --> inverter --> shore power cord --> converter --> furnace or is it no matter what just batteries --> furnace?
The 12VDC power from the house batteries and converter/charger from Shore power is common.

The furnace, lights and other 12VDC stuff will pick-up power from the system...there is no different path for the 12VDC power coming from the converter/charger.

And, I have the inverter as near to the batteries as possible too (as recommended by the inverter mfgt). The batteries are in the space under the entry steps and open to the exterior. Now, if it was a sealed battery compartment, then corrosive gasses and such could be an issue, but that is not the case.

The OP is exactly correct to turn-off the converter/charger while using the inverter. If that is not done, the converter/charger will pull 110VAC from the inverter -> to charge the batteries -> that are feeding the inverter -> and on and on and on -> ultimately killing the batteries...the death loop.

This is the easiest, cheapest, and simplest way I have found to get what we want - power to the whole house, so I don't have to pick and choose what we can use. Yes, everyone in our RV knows the rooftop AirCon cannot be used on the inverter, but that is the only exception. Wanna plug-in a 110VAC cell phone charger in the dinette - Yes. Wanna run a crock pot for dinner while driving into the afternoon - Yes. Wanna charge the laptop so you can use the free WiFi at the next campground - Yes.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The 12VDC power from the house batteries and converter/charger from Shore power are common.

The furnace, lights and other 12VDC stuff will pick-up power from the system...there is no different path for the 12VDC power from the converter/charger.

And, I have the inverter near that batteries too. The batteries are in the space under the entry steps and open to the exterior. If it was a sealed battery compartment, then corrosive gasses and such could be an issue, but this is not the case.

The OP is exactly correct to turn-off the converter/charger while using the inverter. If that is not done, the converter/charger will pull 110VAC from the inverter -> to charge the batteries -> that are feeding the inverter -> and on and on and on -> ultimately killing the batteries.

Best luck
Thanks, how can I test that switching the "Converter" breaker off will stop the converter from trying to charge the batteries?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by opbart1 View Post
In my coach all the entertainment items are on the same circuit. I installed a 1500 w msw inverter in the bay next to the battery area, from the breaker box ran the circuit out to a Xantrex auto transfer switch and back. The auto transfer switch is plugged into the inverter and can power the circuit when needed. Installed a remote on/off switch for the inverter in the coach so can activate when driving so passenger can plug AC devices in. Love this set up as I do not need to plug or unplug anything. Just hit one button to turn on inverter and don't have to worry about it when on shore power or gen set with auto transfer switch.
That's a great idea!! I will have to see if my entertainment devices are on the same breaker or not.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks, how can I test that switching the "Converter" breaker off will stop the converter from trying to charge the batteries?
Probably one of the easiest thing to test in the RV electrical system...

1. Plug-in the RV to shore power (not running the generator) - BUT - turn-off the converter/charger.

2. Turn on all the interior house 12VDC lights (especially the regular non-LED's), fans and such that you can.

3. Let it all run for a while...

4. Finally, while watching the lights and listening to the fans, TURN-ON the converter/charger...

...You will see the lights get obviously brighter and the fans will run at a higher speed.

You can also use an electrical test meter to see voltage on the batteries with the converter/charger on and off, but that's more complicated.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You might just want to put a power strip at the plug that feeds the converter. That way you won't put unnecessary wear and tear on the breaker.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
You might just want to put a power strip at the plug that feeds the converter. That way you won't put unnecessary wear and tear on the breaker.
I'm not following you, do you have a picture or can you re-word that? Converter is built in to the coach, i don't know of any plug feeding it.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That's a great idea!! I will have to see if my entertainment devices are on the same breaker or not.

Here is a source for the transfer switch - it is the key piece of this install

Xantrex Prowatt SW Inline 15 Amp Transfer Switch
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #25

Quote:
If you have shore power there is no reason to run the inverter.

If you have no shore power and have wired new/additional outlets for inverter power to the TV(s) and sat dish, the converter will not draw from the batteries since the converter will only see 120VAC if/when you are connected to shore power, (or when the generator is running).

We have a 12VDC TV, therefore we only need a small inverter to power the DirecTV receiver.
BTW, we also have 12VDC power supplies for our laptops, (and 12V power supplies and or 12V battery chargers for all other electronics).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have a 2300w MSW inverter configured for powering the whole coach as you describe. So as to not have a loop you need to disable the converter - turn it off, unplug it, put a switch in it's input - whatever works. Charging via the engine alternator while using the inverter is ok. Just need to size your battery bank and inverter to the desired load.
Let me expand a bit on my setup that I outlined here.

My 2300w inverter that powers the whole coach is co-located near the batteries and the bay where the shore power cord is stored/connected. It has a remote on/off switch inside the coach to make it easy to enabled when needed. When not plugged into shore power pedestal, I plug into the inverter. I use it primarily for the microwave, coffee pot, etc. - or whatever else anywhere I want.

I also have multiple point of use small inverters, which are used more often and as needed. One located in the AV area to power the TV/DVD/SAT. Others plug into DC power ports in the bedroom, dining area, and computer workstation area. Here I use Triplitte 150's as they have zero power draw when off and no fan / no noise when operating.

After various inverter configurations I have ended up as described, and find it convenient and making good use of battery power.

Battery bank consists of four 6v Trogan 105's, with primary charging via 600w of solar panels. The converter is seldom turned on, even when actually connected to shore power.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #27

Xentrex 4000W 24v dc True Sine wave and i run every thing fro the washer/dryer to every thing

Xentrex 1000W True Sine wave look at the max amp out put i think you may want to go up more in the long run you may want to run some thing that well pull more amps latter

you well find in a inverter you well max out the amps it can make befor watts

high end labtop 7 to 9 amps
2 tvd 8 with both giving size
in side lights from 2 to 12 amps and this is DC amps

i for get but my inverter makes from 60 to 80 max
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

I also have multiple point of use small inverters, which are used more often and as needed. One located in the AV area to power the TV/DVD/SAT. Others plug into DC power ports in the bedroom, dining area, and computer workstation area. Here I use Triplitte 150's as they have zero power draw when off and no fan / no noise when operating.

After various inverter configurations I have ended up as described, and find it convenient and making good use of battery power.
vsheetz
.......That's an easy common sense way to power many/all low amp 120VAC items when the RV has no shore, (or genset), power!
IMO, far to many owners over-think and complicate things, (and often overlook the simple economical solution to a problem).
Mel

Tags
inverter