Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Inverter Help Please

I have lost my 110v side of my Trace 2000 watt inverter,it was caused by someone rigging a plug up wrong and sent 110v down the netural.I need to make it thru the next two weeks. Can someone please tell me if you can bypass the 110v( incoming to inverter) side of the inverter so that the wall outlets and tv's that run thru it can be used.I can't grt in to the shop until 7/9/14. Thank's in advance for any assistance any one can provide.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Check for circuit breaker or fuses on the inverter. Why not just use extension cords or power strips from working outlets until you can get it serviced?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
The incoming side is for the charger in the Inverter/Charger.
Unplug it from the 120V plug in.

Then you will need to use a portable charger to keep the coach batteries up.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I assumed it was just an inverter from first post. Looking into it, I see it is an inverter/charger. Here's a link to the manual:

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_Rev-A).pdf

If you've reset the circuit breaker and it still doesn't operate, I agree with Triker56 that a portable battery charger can be hooked to the batteries until you can get it serviced. Be sure to check circuit breakers in main panel that supplies power to the inverter/charger and also any GFI outlets that might be tripped due to the incorrectly wired plug that started the issue.

As to the 120 v outlets, I'd do as I suggested and just run extension cords from non inverter powered outlets. In the manual on pg 2-9 it shows AC input and output is all located on one terminal block, so you could bypass the inverter if desired, but it would be much simpler to use extension cords.

I see that the unit has a 3 year warranty, don't know if you'd be covered with this sort of problem, but it's worth a try.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks t all for the replies.Sorry it tookso long to post,having trouble with my computer too.I was able to bypass the inverter fairly easy.So until we get to the shop to have the coach fixed hopefull things will continue to run smoothly.Happy Trails!!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you need to remove the converter to repair (Assuming it is not just a circuit breaker) I will give you bypass instructions

You need, a Outlet box, and an outlet and cover Get a 15/20 amp outlet,
YOu also need a magic marker pen Fine tip.

Now UNPLUG and if you have a generator turn it off:

Now on the inverter in the junction box there is a line from your Main breaker panel.. It will be connected to teh LINE IN terminals,, Remove it, and LABEL it "Line in" using the pen, Put it into the outlet box and connect to the outlet, The black wire goes to the copper color screw, the whtite wire to teh slivery one.. The green wire to the green, but do not tighten this one yet.

Now do the same with the OUTPUT, including labeling it OUTPUT wire.

Hook it to the remaining copper and silver secrews, as before, If you can put both GREEN wires under the same screw.. (The proper way is to joing them with a 3rd green wire using a wire nut and put it under the scrw but we will shortcut here) Use of a washer permitted.

Close up the outlet box, CAREFULLY remove the inverter and disconnect the power leads, Black first, Tape these off so they can not short,

You can hook the portable charger (A smart one please) to these wires and plug it into the outlet if you wish.

When I had to do mine,, I skipped one step.. labeling the wires (Yup, Me 1D 10 T all aright) Lesson learned.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Since you need to remove the converter to repair (Assuming it is not just a circuit breaker) I will give you bypass instructions

You need, a Outlet box, and an outlet and cover Get a 15/20 amp outlet,
YOu also need a magic marker pen Fine tip.

Now UNPLUG and if you have a generator turn it off:

Now on the inverter in the junction box there is a line from your Main breaker panel.. It will be connected to teh LINE IN terminals,, Remove it, and LABEL it "Line in" using the pen, Put it into the outlet box and connect to the outlet, The black wire goes to the copper color screw, the whtite wire to teh slivery one.. The green wire to the green, but do not tighten this one yet.

Now do the same with the OUTPUT, including labeling it OUTPUT wire.

Hook it to the remaining copper and silver secrews, as before, If you can put both GREEN wires under the same screw.. (The proper way is to joing them with a 3rd green wire using a wire nut and put it under the scrw but we will shortcut here) Use of a washer permitted.

Close up the outlet box, CAREFULLY remove the inverter and disconnect the power leads, Black first, Tape these off so they can not short,

You can hook the portable charger (A smart one please) to these wires and plug it into the outlet if you wish.

When I had to do mine,, I skipped one step.. labeling the wires (Yup, Me 1D 10 T all aright) Lesson learned.

I too am a big labeling fan. I also use my cell phone camera to get a few pictures of how it is.
I just pulled my inverter to get it rebuilt and got pictures of all the connections BEFORE I disconnected them. Sure makes life simple wa8xym !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the great help.Got it in to the shop last week.Hopefully it will not be there to long.Happy Trails.....

Tags
inverter