Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #1

Inverter Mod...Why Not

I want to be able to run some of my outlets, etc. off my 2000 watt inverter. But running new wires and the related equipment to my electrical panel is a near impossibility. So I plan a simpler solution. I will add an outlet next to the shore power cable connection that the shore power cord can be directly plugged into. This outlet will be wired directly to the inverter. The idea being, I can simply plug the shore power cable into the inverter outlet and then switch on the designated breaker to allow me to run what I need off the inverter. Other breakers for high current usage can be left off. For those that might have done this modification or those with electrical knowledge, what might be issues with this modification? Notwithstanding the possibility of turning on high output breakers by mistake. Adding a sub-panel for the inverter breakers is not possible either at this time. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Powering whole house from an inverter is ok. Need to disable battery charger so as not to have a charging loop. And not turn on large loads.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #3

Thanks, thus the part, "The idea being, I can simply plug the shore power cable into the inverter outlet and then switch on the designated breaker to allow me to run what I need off the inverter. Other breakers for high current usage can be left off." . Chuck
Old 04-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is what I have helped several friends do after installing solar panels. It works out well. Just run 10 gauge with ground from Inverter to Shore Power compartment and put a receptacle for the Shore Power Plug on it. Turn off breaker for converter while using Inverter.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

Should be okay as long as the converter is not energized. Instead of another outlet can't you just add a plug to the wire you run and plug right into the outlet that's already there? Maybe run a lenth of 12g or 10g from the inverter to the outlet where you normally plug in shore power to. Put a plug on that wire that will plug into the outlet you already have there. Then turn off the breaker powering the converter. Plug your inverter wire in. Would that work?

Why would you need another receptacle? The house doesn't know where the 120v is coming from.....pedestal or inverter.

I want to do the same thing to avoid extension cords all over the place.

Jim58
Old 04-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
Should be okay as long as the converter is not energized. Instead of another outlet can't you just add a plug to the wire you run and plug right into the outlet that's already there? Maybe run a lenth of 12g or 10g from the inverter to the outlet where you normally plug in shore power to. Put a plug on that wire that will plug into the outlet you already have there. Then turn off the breaker powering the converter. Plug your inverter wire in. Would that work?

Why would you need another receptacle? The house doesn't know where the 120v is coming from.....pedestal or inverter.

I want to do the same thing to avoid extension cords all over the place.

Jim58
Most don't have a receptacle, only those that don't have a transfer switch and that receptacle goes to the generator output. It is not a good practice to use a plug on the end of anything that can output a high voltage, could cause even lethal harm to a living thing or short out the source or cause a fire.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You should have a main panel and and inverter panel move the breaker that want to work from the main panel to the inverter panel.

Done with a lot less work.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #8

The only outlet now is the connection to the RV's end of the shore power cord. So an additional outlet connected to the inverter to be able to plug the shore power cable to instead of a power pedestal is the plan. I'm not sure I understand Jim58's post. Chuck
Old 04-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Most don't have a receptacle, only those that don't have a transfer switch and that receptacle goes to the generator output. It is not a good practice to use a plug on the end of anything that can output a high voltage, could cause even lethal harm to a living thing or short out the source or cause a fire.

The OP has a Class A (assuming his profile is still the same) that I'm sure has a shore power receptacle. Are you saying he, or I, can't run a line from an inverter, put a plug on that wire that matches his OEM receptacle, de-energize the converter, and plug in?

And the high voltage output you're talking about. Is the inverter putting out higher voltage than a pedestal?

I'm all ears to a way to get this to work.

Jim58
Old 04-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
You should have a main panel and and inverter panel move the breaker that want to work from the main panel to the inverter panel.

Done with a lot less work.
That's a whole lot more work and not going to get done right now. The inverter will be used very infrequently so adding permanent panels and making things much more complex doesn't make sense for me right now. Chuck
Old 04-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
The only outlet now is the connection to the RV's end of the shore power cord. So an additional outlet connected to the inverter to be able to plug the shore power cable to instead of a power pedestal is the plan. I'm not sure I understand Jim58's post. Chuck

Does your bus have a receptacle where you plug the shore power cable in to?
Old 04-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
The OP has a Class A (assuming his profile is still the same) that I'm sure has a shore power receptacle. Are you saying he, or I, can't run a line from an inverter, put a plug on that wire that matches his OEM receptacle, de-energize the converter, and plug in?

And the high voltage output you're talking about. Is the inverter putting out higher voltage than a pedestal?

I'm all ears to a way to get this to work.

Jim58
This is exactly what I plan to do. The voltage output is going to be the same or slightly less than a power pedestal. The only limitations will be the 2000 watts the inverter puts out. But my usage connected to the inverter will never reach that. This will mostly get used to run the fridge going down the road and to watch TV for a few hours at night when no shore power is available, rather than run the generator just to watch TV and run some small devices. Chuck
Old 04-16-2021, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Does your bus have a receptacle where you plug the shore power cable in to?
It has a twist on receptacle connection for one end of the shore power cable. The other end connects to a power pedestal right now. After the modification, I will be able to plug into a power pedestal OR the new inverter outlet inside the bay that holds the power cable which will match the 3-prong end of my shore power cable. Chuck
Old 04-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
This is exactly what I plan to do. The voltage output is going to be the same or slightly less than a power pedestal. The only limitations will be the 2000 watts the inverter puts out. But my usage connected to the inverter will never reach that. This will mostly get used to run the fridge going down the road and to watch TV for a few hours at night when no shore power is available, rather than run the generator just to watch TV and run some small devices. Chuck

I'm with you so far. My question is why another receptacle? Why not get a plug that matches the receptacle you already have. The wire goes from the inverter to the receptacle you already have. When you have pedestal power, plug in the wire from the pedestal. When you're rolling, roll up your pedestal shore power cord, stow it (heavy shore power cable no needed). Plug in the wire from the inverter (to the same receptacle you already have) . I don't understand the need for a second receptacle on a RV that already has a shore power receptacle. If there is one I'm all ears.

But either way will work, as long as you cut power to the converter when you're running off the inverter.

Jim58

Tags
inverter