Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 AM   #1

Inverter Question

Hi All,

I have a coach that runs on 50 amp and need to use 30 amp in the campground I am in now. The coach doesn’t have any sort of energy management, so I will make sure I limit the draw of my coach against the park electrical system.

My question is in regards to the inverter. It has a an amperage setting (50, 30, etc) that is used to determine, I believe, what the battery charging rate will be. Is it necessary (or even correct) to scale this value to the current available amperage or should it be set to the normal coach amperage? It is a Xantrex inverter.

Thanks,
Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
It should scale it automatically based on that setting. If it knows you are pulling say 25 amps on a 30 amp setting it will reduce the charge rate so it doesn't overload the system. When the load goes down it will ramp back up. Set it to whatever shore power you are plugged into at the time.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two amprage settings on an nverter that I know of
One ihas to do with battery charging What it is varies from Inverter to inverter but it may be the battery bank total Amp Hours (Over 500 on my setup) or it may be maximum changing amps (100 on mine)

The other is "Breaker Size" and that is normally 30 on my rig, it is the size of the circuit breaker that feeds the inverter's 120 volts IN.

What it does is this... If I have everythign downline off then it can draw whatever it needs to charge the battery up to 100 amps (maximum output of charger) but if I am using the Microwave and other stuff say drawin as much as 25 amps off the Sub Panel ... Well it "Throttles' charging so as to not trip ye old 30 amp breaker. I'm thinking that's whay you have

I'd set it at 20 on a 30 amnp site.

Tags
inverter