Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

Inverter question 93 Safari Continental

I am new in the motor home world and have some mechanical knowledge but weak in the electrical world. I had and older Heart 1800-12 inverter that was not It had a shut down warning light and I found another heart inverter on Ebay Older new stock unit that seemed like a good buy at $599. Looked new. Hooked it up and plugged the 2 110 volt plugs and watched the shut down light and presto it stayed on. It did put out 110 volts. 2 problems have showed up. 1) I find it shut down after a day or 2 so I reset it once again. 2) My new batteries are failing to charge. I didn't notice anything until I pushed the monitor button. Said batteries are weak. doesn't the inverter charge the batteries? Also all 4 of my batteries appear new. It starts strong. But my step is slowing down. Another question is which batteries are being monitored? I have 2 that can be accessed from the outside. Are these the cabin batteries? I have 2 under the bed inside. Right now I'm charging the 2 on outside with a charger to see if the monitor changes. Please give me a run down on this system. Next to my heart inverter is a unit that buzzes when plugged in. What is charging the batteries? I don't see how this inverter charges anything. Hooks up to 12 volts and sends 110 to plugs. Sorry to be so inferior in my knowledge. I only have about 3 days to send this unit back. I would rather not spend $1000 plus on a another one. It does look new.
ollison is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What is the exact model of the inverter(s)? Some chage and invert some don't.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #3

1800-12 Heart

1800-12 Heart
Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #4

What the best buy out there on inverter?

What the best buy out there on inverter?. What is minimum watts I could get by with? I think this one should charge. I has 2 hook outlet hook ups. I'm only using the 110 volt output.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollison View Post
I am new in the motor home world and have some mechanical knowledge but weak in the electrical world. I had and older Heart 1800-12 inverter that was not It had a shut down warning light and I found another heart inverter on Ebay Older new stock unit that seemed like a good buy at $599. Looked new. Hooked it up and plugged the 2 110 volt plugs and watched the shut down light and presto it stayed on. It did put out 110 volts. 2 problems have showed up. 1) I find it shut down after a day or 2 so I reset it once again. 2) My new batteries are failing to charge. I didn't notice anything until I pushed the monitor button. Said batteries are weak. doesn't the inverter charge the batteries? Also all 4 of my batteries appear new. It starts strong. But my step is slowing down. Another question is which batteries are being monitored? I have 2 that can be accessed from the outside. Are these the cabin batteries? I have 2 under the bed inside. Right now I'm charging the 2 on outside with a charger to see if the monitor changes. Please give me a run down on this system. Next to my heart inverter is a unit that buzzes when plugged in. What is charging the batteries? I don't see how this inverter charges anything. Hooks up to 12 volts and sends 110 to plugs. Sorry to be so inferior in my knowledge. I only have about 3 days to send this unit back. I would rather not spend $1000 plus on a another one. It does look new.
I"m not familiar with this inverter and can't find specifics on it. However, if there is not a 120v line running TO it from the coaches system, then it doesn't charge the batteries. It simply takes 12v from the batteries and inverts to 120v. So my theroy is your converter/charger is not charging the batteries. When they get low, the inverter shuts down.

Assuming this is a diesel, the rear batteries are for starting and the fronts are for the coach. When plugged into shore power, the charger should charge those batteries and they should show 13+v. If less than 13v, the charger is not working. That buzzing box sounds like the charger. It will have a 120v line in and large 12v cables out that lead to the coach batteries.

After charging with an external charger and the inverter works again, this would indicate the onboard charger is not working (as long as it was plugged into shore). That's about all I can help with at this time and is just the basics.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #6

It does have 110 inputs. It has 110 outputs

It does have 110 inputs. It has 110 outputs which are hooked up to coach with 2 plugs into an breaker type outlet. the input has no wire at this time ran to it. My old one did not have an input. So run 110 to it and presto I have a charger? Thanks
Old 11-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It does have 110 inputs. It has 110 outputs which are hooked up to coach with 2 plugs into an breaker type outlet. the input has no wire at this time ran to it. My old one did not have an input. So run 110 to it and presto I have a charger? Thanks
Maybe. It could be if 120v is present, it merely passes the 120v to the inverter outlets. I just can't be sure without some EMS1200 NS docs. I would think the panel would have some indicator of battery charging on it. Anyway, running 120v to it should tell the story. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Be carefull about the other device in the system. You really should not run two chargers to the same bank of batteries. What is the brand and model of the other buzzing device?

What do the charging lights on the side of that Heart Unit indicate? It should have a bank of indicators showing it the batteries are getting charged or not. Xanterex took over Heart and should be able to advise you the best.

Here is one that may be close. You can even download an owners manual from here:

Inverter Charger | Freedom HF Inverter/Charger | Xantrex
Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #9

More electrical problems

I looked at the noisy switch next to inverter. Sure enough it maybe what charges the batteries since there is a negative positive leads going to Positive Negative terminals. I don't believe my batteries are being charged. Can I unhook this charger and replace it with this new inverter charger? Also another problem. The monitor inside cab has quit working. Dead No lights no pump or fridge below it. Where is the breaker for all this? One last item. I the back by the Cummins motor I have 2 switch boxes. I was looking for a breaker. It says Power Switch Automatic transfer switch. Also next to it another one like it. They are grey and look old. They have removable front covers?. Didn't do anything with covers until I understood them. Up hill battle ironing all these systems out. Thank you all so much in guiding me..
Old 11-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I looked at the noisy switch next to inverter. Sure enough it maybe what charges the batteries since there is a negative positive leads going to Positive Negative terminals. I don't believe my batteries are being charged. Can I unhook this charger and replace it with this new inverter charger? Also another problem. The monitor inside cab has quit working. Dead No lights no pump or fridge below it. Where is the breaker for all this? One last item. I the back by the Cummins motor I have 2 switch boxes. I was looking for a breaker. It says Power Switch Automatic transfer switch. Also next to it another one like it. They are grey and look old. They have removable front covers?. Didn't do anything with covers until I understood them. Up hill battle ironing all these systems out. Thank you all so much in guiding me..
As I said in a previous post, that buzzing box is probably the old charger since your old inverter was not a charger. I would remove it and connect a 120v line to the new inverter. That should then charge the batteries. The problem with no lights on the monitor could be as simple as the batteries are now dead. The charger hasn't been working and the inverter/charger isn't hooked up yet. I would get and external automotive charger going on those batteries until you get this sorted out.

That automatic transfer switch is what senses if the power is coming from shore power or the generator and directs it to the coach. The second one 'could' be an ATS also that directs power from the 20a circuit on the Genny directly to the rear A/C unit. Generally this is only on 30a coaches and it just a guess.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #11

What are the full model numbers of both the old and new inverters? The suffixes show if the inverter is just an inverter or includes a charger. That information along with the installation instructions are at the link I previously posted.

Tags
inverter