Originally Posted by rackem59
Was dry camping with generator on auto. In the morning the generator came on after about 45 min started getting a hot electrical smell from the inverter.
Shut down the generator and smell went away and hasn't come back, even when running the engine.
Inverter, converter, transfer switch should not smell (or stink). Generators frequently do stink.
Inspect all connections to these devices (sometimes all in one place). Look for loose, corroded, or burned connections. If no joy, expand search to other nearby connections.
Converter runs to charge batteries from the generator. They often have a fan. Could you hear the fan running? If high current and no fan, overheating can occur.
A transfer switch not making a good connection inside can cause burning odors.
Many inverter installations would not be running the inverter while the generator is running. If transfer switch failed and inverter was still running, a big stink could occur.