Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Question Inverter | Transfer switch |Converter | Charger question

I know there are hundreds of threads about this, and i've been searching and reading for months, but everyone's situation is unique. Here's what I would like to do:

I currently have a Xantrex 1000W PSW inverter that I installed near the battery compartment and ran a shorepower cord to it. Remote switch is installed inside coach. I have a remote control for the converter so I can shut it off when I'm running whole-house inverter.

What I don't like: Having to remember to shut off converter everytime.
-And losing power for a moment when i turn on genny.

I just ordered the EC-30W Auto-Gen start so I can make sure my batteries dont get low while running on inverter.

What I want to do:
I want to get it where I don't have to turn converter on and off manually, I'd like to just leave inverter on all the time, but power ONLY my wall outlets if possible. That way i can run a fan at night and leave my Satellite box plugged in all the time, and the AGS will keep batteries topped off 24/7.

Is the simplest solution to run a wire direct from inverter to circuit breakers for the wall outlets?

Main issue: There is not an easy way at all to run a wire from the inverter to the main panel/breakers. It is across the entire coach.

If there is another way to do this, what am I missing? I would prefer to still utilize the 1000W PSW inverter I've invested in, even though now I would much rather have an inverter/charger instead of the existing converter....

Thanks for any ideas and tips!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

Do you have one of these: Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay F Prowatt SW | eBay

I can leave the inverter on and whenever the gen or shore power is running it bypasses the inverter.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Do you have one of these: Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay F Prowatt SW | eBay

I can leave the inverter on and whenever the gen or shore power is running it bypasses the inverter.
I've seen that, but would that work in my situation, given my shorepower cord is plugged into inverter? So the converter "thinks" its on shorepower even though it's really inverter.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #4

I think you'll need a transfer switch so that you don't end up feeding 240 into the house. From what I understand, you have 120 going into your shore cable that's coming from the batteries through inverter. If you fire up the generator then you'll be adding that voltage on top. We have one in our coach that will prevent the double supply.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I think you'll need a transfer switch so that you don't end up feeding 240 into the house. From what I understand, you have 120 going into your shore cable that's coming from the batteries through inverter. If you fire up the generator then you'll be adding that voltage on top. We have one in our coach that will prevent the double supply.
the coach has a built-in transfer switch between shorepower and generator, so no worries there.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

I may be overlooking something, but it sounds like the transfer switch should take care of it.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I may be overlooking something, but it sounds like the transfer switch should take care of it.
Not really, as that doesn't take care of the converter situation.

What is involved in wiring the inverter to just power the wall outlets only, anyone?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Not really, as that doesn't take care of the converter situation.

What is involved in wiring the inverter to just power the wall outlets only, anyone?
Or, would be nice to have the converter on a relay, which knows the difference between generator power and inverter power, so when the AGS kicks on, it kicks on the converter too to charge the batteries. Then when AGS kicks off, it kicks the converter off and we're back to inverter power. Just difficult for me to picture how this all wires up....
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #9

Hi Guys,
Whilst Your on the subject of Inverters and charging, I have My RV in winter hibernation in My Barn here in UK England, however I keep it plugged into the mains or shoreline as I think You call it, the reason being I keep an electronic Mouse/Rodent repellent in the basement storage it emits a high frequency sound keeping them away "it says", I also keep a small fan heater switched on periodically to keep damp air at bay along with a plug in air freshener, the electrical input goes into the coach through the inverter converting to 240v for Our UK onboard sockets, I periodically put the Charge Selector on on the digital display by the bathroom, to top-up the house + chassis batteries - My question is :- as the hibernation period is approx a 6-month period am I doing the Right thing or am I putting too much added strain on the longevity of the Inverter by keeping the RV powered up for this extended period ? Many Thanks in advance of any informative responses You may have
muppet3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet3074 View Post
Hi Guys,
Whilst Your on the subject of Inverters and charging, I have My RV in winter hibernation in My Barn here in UK England, however I keep it plugged into the mains or shoreline as I think You call it, the reason being I keep an electronic Mouse/Rodent repellent in the basement storage it emits a high frequency sound keeping them away "it says", I also keep a small fan heater switched on periodically to keep damp air at bay along with a plug in air freshener, the electrical input goes into the coach through the inverter converting to 240v for Our UK onboard sockets, I periodically put the Charge Selector on on the digital display by the bathroom, to top-up the house + chassis batteries - My question is :- as the hibernation period is approx a 6-month period am I doing the Right thing or am I putting too much added strain on the longevity of the Inverter by keeping the RV powered up for this extended period ? Many Thanks in advance of any informative responses You may have
You will probably get more answers if you start your own thread, Mr Hijacker
But in my opinion, you are not putting strain on your electrical inverter.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #11

Thank You, I just though with the subject being of a similar nature the response would have been greater, now without writing it all out again I DONT know How to put it as a New post, any ideas ?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Or, would be nice to have the converter on a relay, which knows the difference between generator power and inverter power, so when the AGS kicks on, it kicks on the converter too to charge the batteries. Then when AGS kicks off, it kicks the converter off and we're back to inverter power. Just difficult for me to picture how this all wires up....
That's fine, but what happens when you are actually plugged into shore power (instead of into your inverter) and your converter won't come on because it's been wired to only operate when the AGS starts the generator?

There's a price for the convenience you desire.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #13

CLick on your post, hit edit, and highlight the text to COPY. Then open a new thread and edit to paste the text in the new thread. Then Edit the original post to either delete the text or show the edit to the new thread. Or something like that...
Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #14

So "EASY" when You know HOW lol, I'd prob find it Easier to learn Chinese HeHe but THANKS for Explaining - Much Appreciated (that's Why My name is :- Muppet) !

Tags
converter, inverter