Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 01:08 PM   #1

Question Inverter Transfer Switch Question - Renogy 2000 Watt

Hey everyone,

I've recently picked up a 2000 watt Renogy inverter (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...e?ie=UTF8&th=1) and installed into my Citation Supreme motorhome.

We had our power hooked up last week and now have our unit plugged in to a 30 amp receptacle.

I've now noticed that even while plugged in, we are limited to 2000 watts as if the inverter is running all of our electrical.

The inverter specs state that the built in transfer switch will allow current to pass through. Shouldn't this mean that the inverter will not need to power the system and we wouldn't observe the 2000 watt limit imposed by our inverter?

I'm concerned that when summer comes we actually won't be able to run the AC unit as it will exceed the limitations of the inverter.

Am I missing something here? I don't see any options related to the transfer switch in the inverter manual.

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Kyle
Logik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 01:17 PM   #2

You need to wire it like a branch circuit .

Leave out the roof top air, water heater, old converter charger and gas/electric fridge. Residential fridge can stay.

The microwave can stay, if you have 4 batteries.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:32 PM   #3

I have made a post addressing this in the past. My Aimes inverter will not pass through 30 amps. Like you noticed it will only pass through 2000 watts or 16.6 amps. You will see many replies with some good advice and some with incorrect information. I too believed that pass through meant I would get 30 amps but I can assure you my inverter will only pass through the rated capacity of the inverter which is 16.6 amps or 2000 watts. I had to install a switch to either use shore power or inverter and have to trip the circuit breaker for the charger while on inverter.
bakedalaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:14 PM   #4

Don’t quite understand the post. First, I didn’t know there were inverters with internal transfer switches except for hybrid inverter/chargers, which is what I have. A transfer switch is normally wired such that it switches to the inverter in the absence of ac shore power, if ac SP is present it should switch to the 30amp breaker on the panel, bypassing the inverter. This is the branch wiring described by twinboat above. In the absence of ac SP, the transfer switch switches to the inverter, and from there, there are variety of ways the current flows depending on which ac Circuits you want hot. If your inverter is really a hybrid inverter/charger it’s different. In the absence of ac SP, the inverter is on (unless you turn it off). In the presence of ac SP, the internal transfer switch passes through the ac power, unless the unit has power sharing, in which case the charging function is reduced, so max ac loads can be serviced. If no charging load, internal transfer switch passes through 30 amps to ac panel.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

The OP linked his inverter charger brochure.

Spend a little time reading and and it's all explained.

Little long winded but that's the way many work.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The OP linked his inverter charger brochure.

Spend a little time reading and and it's all explained.

Little long winded but that's the way many work.
Sorry, didn’t notice the link. OK, so it’s really a hybrid inverter/charger. Amazon Q&A says the renogy will only pass thru 20 amps. So, I suppose not much can be done unless he bypasses the renogy with an external transfer switch. But then he wouldn’t be able to charge batteries when on SP unless it’s a manual switch.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You need to wire it like a branch circuit .
This is correct and if you are really handy with electrical work i can draw you up the diagrams. Basically you will be able to run one of your in house circuits on inverter power.

I have a Xantrax 1000W with two external auto switches. lots of wiring but ALL of my house outlets are hot with Inverter. the dealership told me this wasn't possible. spent months researching. its not work for the faint of heart.
davidmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #8

Renogy specifies this model to pass through 30 amps.
https://www.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pur...w-lcd-display/

When 120 volts is applied to AC input lines, battery charger is switched "on" and inverter is switched "off". Verify battery charger is "on" when plugged into shore power.

Link to manual:
https://www.renogy.com/content/R-INV...S%20Manual.pdf

See page 16 for operating instructions.

See page 26 for setting priorities. Your unit may be set to "battery priority".

"The second setting is Battery Priority (SbU). Under this setting the inverter charger will provide power using the connected battery bank even when it detects an AC source.

When the battery voltage reaches the low voltage set-point in Program 12, the inverter charger will power the loads using the connected AC source but will not charge the battery bank."

Fault codes are on page 36.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:15 PM   #9

I grew weary of looking so here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 15.14.36.png
Views:	115
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	354138  
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:20 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

Disappointing to see that only 20 amps/2000 watts while SP is connected as well.

I suppose the best solution is to create a branch circuit as twinboat mentioned and keep my AC, Fridge, Micro, and water heater off of the inverter circuit.

Much appreciated for all of the help!!
Old 02-02-2022, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logik View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone!!

Disappointing to see that only 20 amps/2000 watts while SP is connected as well.

I suppose the best solution is to create a branch circuit as twinboat mentioned and keep my AC, Fridge, Micro, and water heater off of the inverter circuit.

Much appreciated for all of the help!!
I agree, that would be a good solution.

You will need at least two output branch circuits, probably 15 amps 120 volts each. Some inverter/chargers have two branch circuit breaker outputs built in.

I assume you mean "30 amps/3600 watts while SP". 30 a * 120 v = 3600 w

2000 watts while inverting provides 17 amps. 17 a * 120 v = 2000 w

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:49 PM   #12

Do you have the entire coach wired through the inverter? Or is there an inverter sub panel?

I like the idea of having the entire coach running through a hybrid inverter, but if at all possible you may want to get an inverter that supports a full 30 amp bypass, like maybe a Victron Multiplus inverter.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I agree, that would be a good solution.

You will need at least two output branch circuits, probably 15 amps 120 volts each. Some inverter/chargers have two branch circuit breaker outputs built in.

I assume you mean "30 amps/3600 watts while SP". 30 a * 120 v = 3600 w

2000 watts while inverting provides 17 amps. 17 a * 120 v = 2000 w

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Thanks Persistent!

Hmm that's what I expected, a 30 amp bypass allowing me to run everything directly on shore power when I was plugged in, but it seems that is not the case. Everything is wired through the inverter. Even though the display states it is on "Bypass" and showing 113v SP input, but the inverter will alarm when exceeding 2000 watts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Do you have the entire coach wired through the inverter? Or is there an inverter sub panel?

I like the idea of having the entire coach running through a hybrid inverter, but if at all possible you may want to get an inverter that supports a full 30 amp bypass, like maybe a Victron Multiplus inverter.
Yes the entire coach is wired through the inverter. SP Comes in to a sub panel with 30 amp breaker, then to inverter, then to main panel (And battery). I had thought that when on SP the inverter would be on bypass and allow me to operate everything directly from SP. But as I mentioned, when exceeding 2000 watts the inverter will alarm and display a fault code.

So far I don't have to many issues, Microwave operates fine and I'm relying mostly on space heaters currently, but I can't run them both simultaneously on high without exceeding 2000 watts. This is when I realized that the inverter isn't bypassing as I had expected. I now realize that the AC unit will not be able to operate at all come summer, as it will exceed the inverter rating as well.

From what I gather, It seems the only solution is to manually bypass the inverter for my AC unit (and the microwave as well as I'll never run it from my battery bank) on a separate circuit.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:47 PM   #14

A manual bypass would work and certainly be your least expensive option.

Only other option for running 30 amps is a better inverter/charger. If you go hybrid you could run sb AC off of a 2k generator if that matters to you.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, switch, transfer switch