Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2023, 02:36 PM   #1

Is my Atwood gas and elect water heater cooked??

Before realizing that my water water lines and water heater was empty, I turned on my Atwood water heater in the gas mode for about 20 minutes. Now, not only does hot water heater not work, neither of the two indicators above the gas and electric switch in main control panel on my 2008 Fleetwood Expedition.

Is my goose cooked or is there an easy repair? I've checked fuses in behind fuse panel and circuit breakers. Seems a safety device may have triggered and that no power is being supplied to unit as neither of the indicator lights will illuminate above either the gas or electric switches.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dennis B
Bakersfield Ca.
Denbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2023, 03:08 PM   #2

Dry firing with Gas will cause T-stat to open Plus the ECO (hi temp t-stat) to open....no damage to tank PROVIDED tank is allowed to Cool before filling with water.

DC fuse on Circuit Board MAY have tripped ......wiring/circuit board could have melted due to the Heat

Electric will not work if turned on with empty tank.....elements burn out quickly when not covered in water

2008 Atwood uses DC for controls/functions for Electric AND Gas
Verify you have DC to the On/Off Switches
Closely inspect circuit board and wiring in outside compartment

*Only one set ot T-stat/ECO for Electric and Gas
T-stat Opens/shuts heat sources at 140*F---- Closes/allows reheating at 110*F
ECO TRIPS at 180*F....will reclose when temp drops below 150*F but 'lockout' has to be reset by turning switches off then back on

**If you have an XT Model with Mixing valve T-stat Opens at 160*F
All other temps same as Standard Version

DC ....find source Fuse
Verify you have DC to switches
Check 2A fuse ...wiring etc in outside compartment
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #3

Problem solved-Thanks

Not exactly sure what I did but removed wires to T-Stat and ECO and jiggled the T-stat prob and it started working
Denbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, gas, heat, heater, water, water heater