Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
Community Moderator

ISO MSW compatible induction cooktop

i have a nuwave induction cooktop, working perfectly on shore power, but not on modified sine wave that my inverter provides. now i am in search of a compatible one which allows me to use on both msw and psw. does anyone have one working on your coach msw power? tia!

(i read on this board that someone said he got a faberware induction cooktop from walmart and happy about it. i went and bought one today but it does not work either).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I got the Farberware one from Wal*Mart. But we have a PSW inverter and a large battery bank to go with it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:13 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You would do better to upgrade the inverter.. IN days of old Xantrex had a list of things that "Might not work properly" on MSW. it was a long list and the problem was it was growing.. I suspect the reason they no longer have it is liability (Someone puts in an MSW, and when something catches fire.. YES THERE HAVE BEEN FIRES.. they say "But it was not on the list", which is true since the item did not exist when the list was prepared.. LED night lights for example).

On that list is "Anythign needing more power than the inverter can produce"

Now, I will give you the entire list for TRUE SINE WAVE inverters like my Xantrex. This is the entire list.

Anythign needing more power than the inverter can produce

My Big Boss induction cooktop works just fine on the Prosine (TRUE SINE WAVE) ... My radios can not tell the difference between Inverter operating or in standby (Save that when it's operating the DC voltage is a bit lower, the Radios run on the same batteries) and since my inverter is 2,000 watts and the heaviest load I have here is less than that... EVERYTHING is happy save the things hard wired to the main panel (They simply get no power at all from the inverter) like the A/C and Water heater.. Fridge can go either way thanks to a manual transfer switch.. Happy either way.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
Community Moderator

thanks mr d and wa8yxm for the comments. we love induction cook - the speed, the efficiency... i will recommend to anyone for it in a heartbeat. but now this msw causes trouble. i'm seriously making getting a psw as a plan b.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

If you are planning on keeping the coach for awhile then get a PSW inverter. More and more appliances are going to electronic controls that will not work on MSW inverters. Coffee makers, slow cookers, even some toasters have electronic controls.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #6

Yes, even my pathetic Keurig coffee maker will not run on MSW. I'm in the market for a PSW inverter to replace my Magnum MSW, but in no big hurry.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 02-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #7
Community Moderator

that's interesting... coffee maker, slow cooker, blueray, tv... everything else works on my msw except this induction thingy
Old 02-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
Community Moderator

have been using a friend called 'google" extensively on this, there seems no reports at any corner of the world that an msw compatible induction cooktop ever exists

now i started looking at plan b - a psw inverter but which one to pick?

two of them caught my eyes - magnum msh3012m hybrid, and another xantrex sw3012. both output psw, have configurable charging parameters. magnum has a nice feature of hybrid, complimenting each other of shore and batts; while xantrex has an edge in size and installation in terms of replacing existing freedom 20d, close to plug and play; and about $200 cheaper...

still in doing homework, but like to hear from those who has gone through this process...
Old 02-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Replaced my MSW Xantrex with a PSW Magnum. Much better quality than the Xantrex. I was slow witted and lost 3 coffee pots an electric blanket and 2 night lights before I figured it out. Nothing with electronics likes MSW!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote