Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #1

Issue with Battle Born batteries

Hey all, since new dealer install our Battle Borns will randomly turn off while boondocking. Plugging back in to ground power resets the battery and it’s then fine for a while. Happens at cool and hot temps. Any ideas? Dealer has no idea and I can’t get in touch with Battle Born. They seem to be dragonfly energy now??? Anyone have a good number?

Also I’m thinking of carrying a portable AC power bank to reset them while in the middle of nowhere since we don’t usually have a genny. Any suggestions?
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #2

Enter model number of batteries for better advice.

Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries are also electronic devices. They have a built in device (BMS) that monitors the batteries and will disconnect them under adverse conditions.

There is no shortage of Battle Born support. The dealer is lying.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/contact/

https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...po4-batteries/
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #3

If you aren't using a battery monitor with shunt I would recommend one. The BMS will shut off the battery if you are discharging completely. This is to protect the cells. Here's a link for the Victron Energy SmartShunt at about $130. It uses the Victron Energy VictronConnect app for smart phone to configure and display status.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...7-93deae8f9840
Old 08-18-2022, 09:51 AM   #4

Issue with Battle Born batteried

Battleborn just replaced my friends 4 batteries and his dads 3 for what sounds like the same issue. Just call them and they will take care of you. They did walk us through some tests before sending the new ones. Im assuming there were issues found with a batch of batteries a couple years ago
Old 08-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #5

The following has always helped me.
Roni Ventura
1355 Greg St
Sparks, NV 89431
(775) 622-3448 ext. 114
support@battlebornbatteries.zendesk.com
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:28 PM   #6

Ok sorry for not responding I had to get back to work for a bit. Battle Born got back to me (seems to be no prob at all getting in touch with them now). They are saying the dealer wired them incorrectly and that solar pos should be connected to one battery and solar neg to the other. I’m not sure which is the solar pos but Is there any reason I couldn’t bring the one red and the 2 blacks to the other pos on the other battery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B703955-5CCF-417D-84FA-EA9A76D8C9BB.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	375031   Click image for larger version

Name:	33D633C3-CD4C-4032-86F6-D4B64549AC6D.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	375032  

Name:	7CF33632-7D87-4A4F-B32D-3C18502D32CB.png
Views:	31
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	375033  
Old 08-30-2022, 05:48 PM   #7

Probably easiest to just take the white wire (looks like that is the negative from solar panel) to the negative post of the other battery. Everything else remains the same, and your set-up will then look like the diagram.

A battery monitor is helpful. The little light gizmo that is standard with the trailer won’t tell you anything meaningful about your Battleborns. The standard battery monitor is reading voltage, and by the time a lithium battery voltage drops enough to register on a standard meter you are pretty well empty.

Somewhere on Battleborn’s site is a table of voltage versus state of charge. A good multimeter at the batteries will tell you what you need to know, but a SmartShunt or a Victron BMV-712 is easier/better/more fun.

Some day you will want to move those batteries inside your trailer. The battery platform on the tongue makes a convenient spot for a toolbox.

Did your dealer set up your converter to charge lithium ion batteries? For modern converters it is usually a matter of setting some dip switches.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:57 PM   #8

I don’t know if the dealer did anything to the converter tbh. I’ll have to call them tomorrow. The neg cable doesn’t reach the other battery so I was hoping to do the positive.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #9

Your converter should be hooked up across both batteries also, and so should the loads. I probably oversimplified my first response by neglecting the rest of the system.

It is not clear from the photos what else is connected.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:55 AM   #10

perhaps it is just me but i don't see anything wrong with the way the batteries are wired. in the picture it looks like 2 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. yes all the load and ground cables are attached to one battery and some will say that they should be spread across both. others will say that spreading them will offer miniscule benefits.

but i think that the batteries shutting down is completely unrelated to how they are currently wired and won't be corrected by rewiring them. a battery monitor like the smart shunt will provide more knowledge and benefit and the proposed rewiring. we don't know how full the batteries are getting when they are recharged and how low they are being drawn down.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
perhaps it is just me but i don't see anything wrong with the way the batteries are wired. in the picture it looks like 2 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. yes all the load and ground cables are attached to one battery and some will say that they should be spread across both. others will say that spreading them will offer miniscule benefits.

but i think that the batteries shutting down is completely unrelated to how they are currently wired and won't be corrected by rewiring them. a battery monitor like the smart shunt will provide more knowledge and benefit and the proposed rewiring. we don't know how full the batteries are getting when they are recharged and how low they are being drawn down.
I’m 99% sure they aren’t getting drawn down much at all. And I think you are right about the wiring because they are showing identical voltage now while boondocking and the solar panel in direct sun. So that means they are evenly charging and discharging correct?
Old 08-31-2022, 10:21 AM   #12

Just saw this on the manufacturer page 🤔
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F8761DAE-E311-4F78-A1D7-D8830D3533C3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	375066  
Old 09-03-2022, 08:15 AM   #13

The Battle Born facebook page is pretty active. Might want to ask there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2586837264688649
1200W Solar > 412 aH LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #14

Post make and model of solar controller and converter/charger or inverter/charger for better advice.

I agree with Little Guy. Positive connected to positive on one battery and negative connected to negative on the other is better. Charging and discharging will be better balanced across the two batteries. Balance is important for charging Li batteries.

That said, I also agree that it is not likely the cause of your issue.

The issues that the Little Guy article is referring to are also not likely to be causing the symptoms. Usually, the incompatibility is related to getting the Li batteries fully charged and balanced.

The Battle Born BMS is fairly robust. It may work OK with the chargers. If BB did not say anything when you called and described your issues, then they are probably OK. BB has done extensive testing with various charging systems.

Please post make and model of chargers for better advice.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote