Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

It's the Newbie Again

We're still exploring our Lexington and learning every day but every day leads to new questions.

We resolved the generator stoppage and have interior lights, idiot lights, and light in the fridge.

But no A/C. We checked the breaker and fuse box and all looks intact to me.

Now, on the control panel there is a switch for an "Arctic Pac". What is it for, what does it control and does it have anything to do with the A/C.

Thank you in advance.

Lexi's Mom
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you plugged in? Is generator running? Is breaker on generator tripped? Is GFCI tripped? The Arctic Pacific is probably tank heaters/blanket heaters for fresh/grey/black.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #3

Your roof A/C uses 12V for the circuit board and t-stat, and 120V for fan and compressor.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Are you plugged in? Is generator running? Is breaker on generator tripped? Is GFCI tripped? The Arctic Pacific is probably tank heaters/blanket heaters for fresh/grey/black.
No we weren't plugged in to shore power. Yes the generator was running and seemed to be working well. I will need to locate the breaker on the generator, is it A/C specific because we did have power to everything else. Is the GFCI A/C specific? if so where would I likely find that.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Your roof A/C uses 12V for the circuit board and t-stat, and 120V for fan and compressor.
Could you please explain again in simpler terms? Besides being a newbie RV owner, I know very little about electricity and electrical systems in general. Is there something specific I should check on the rig?

Thank you for trying to help.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

t-stat = thermostat , requires 12 V. What happens when plugged into shore power. Have you checked your wall outlets to make sure you have 120V with generator on, with shore power. You can use a simple tester that lights up when to insert the 2 pins in the plug, or just take a small lamp and plug it in to the outlets in the coach to see if you have 120 V power.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
No we weren't plugged in to shore power. Yes the generator was running and seemed to be working well. I will need to locate the breaker on the generator, is it A/C specific because we did have power to everything else. Is the GFCI A/C specific? if so where would I likely find that.

Thanks for the assistance.
Do you have power to any 110v plugs. They look like household plugs. The lights, refrigerator light, and other lights are 12v battery power. They will work whether Genny is running or not.
12v is DC. It comes from the battery. 110v is ac. This is what is produced by the Genny or shore power. your Genny could be running, but if the breaker or on/off switch is switched off, you won't have 110v ad power.
Can you plug something in and make it work? If not you do not have 110v ad power coming into your RV.
The only way to locate the breaker for the Genny is look for it.
I suggest you Google GFCI so you know what plug you are looking for.
By the way some say 110v and others say 120v. Both are the same. It is ac power, it comes from the shore power or Genny.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Do you have power to any 110v plugs. They look like household plugs. The lights, refrigerator light, and other lights are 12v battery power. They will work whether Genny is running or not.
12v is DC. It comes from the battery. 110v is ac. This is what is produced by the Genny or shore power. your Genny could be running, but if the breaker or on/off switch is switched off, you won't have 110v ad power.
Can you plug something in and make it work? If not you do not have 110v ad power coming into your RV.
And to add to this. Some RV's need to have the shoreline cord plugged into an outlet in the same area the cord comes out of. They do not have an automatic switch so must be plugged in to what is the generator outlet.

I had an rv that also had a switch inside to select from shoreline or generator as well as having to be plugged in to the outlet mentioned.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #9

No offense, but if you don't understand electricity and don't have a meter to test, you either are going to have to learn a lot quickly, or let someone work on it in the mean time.

It's not hard, but there is a lot to learn.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

We Did It!

Thanks to all of you for the advice and for not talking to me like I am an imbecile.

I located the circuit breaker on the generator and reset it. Then I started the generator and let it run for about 2 minutes. Before starting I checked the oil to make sure it was ok and it was. Then I plugged the voltage tester into one of the plugs and it worked. After a few more minutes, I turned on the A/C and IT WORKED! Now I am running the generator because I don't know when it was last worked.

If I'm not pushing my luck, can ya'll answer a few more questions for me?

1. Is there a proper sequence to starting the generator, turning on the auxiliary batteries, powering up the water pump and hot water heater?

2. Is there a proper sequence to do things when first you pull into the RV
park?

3. Is there a proper sequence to shut down everything and prepare to leave?

I'm sure there are more questions to come, but I am about ready to load 'er up and go camping!

PS, my hubby has some medical issues that require me to become as knowledgeable as I can about this rig so that he doesn't have to worry. He bought the RV mostly for me. I know I have a huge learning curve but I'm up to it.

Thanks again to you all.

Regards,
Lexi's mom
Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are no auxiliary batteries. There are house batteries, they power the lights, refrigerator light and board, the a/c thermostat and board, and they are used to start the Genny. They are charged by the Genny and Shore power and they should always be on.
There is the chassis batteries, they start your engine and power most things on your dash.

2. Pull into Rv spot, get level, hook up water, sewer and shore power. Open slides if you have them. Then you can turn on water heater. You can have water pump on anytime, it runs off house batteries. Keep refrigerator on automatic. You don't need Genny unless you don't have shore power.

Leaving, dump tanks if you are books up to sewer, then reverse above procedure. If no sewer, dump on way out of park.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread for newbies plus to also many links for coach functions.
All systems require 12v for operation your AC's, micro, fridge if on electric all require 110 volts for operation plus the 12v's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only "Proper sequence" for generator start I know of is this. Basically turn everything off (Water heater, A/C's Microwave, Big ticket items, you should also turn off TV's and Radios for different reasons)

IF not already disconnected from Shore power (House or park) DO so and wait at least one minute. (Three is better).

Start generator... When any of the following happens. You can start turning stuff back on, any order, one at a time I'd start with the A/C cause,,, Welll.. I want COMFORT First.

You hear the transfer switch CLUNK
The microwave clock lights up
Interior lights brighten
Any device plugged into a wall outlet not turned off starts working (Fan for eample).

Generator circuit breakers like to shut off for no good reason by the way.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

As for "powering up the water pump and hot water heater", if you're at a park and have your hose hooked to their water supply, you don't use your motor home water pump. You should have a pressure regulator like the following Camco 40055 Brass Water Pressure Regulator - Walmart.com on your hose, to prevent possible excessive water pressure through the park water connection. If you're not hooked up to city/park water, you just turn the pump on. You turn on the hot water heater after first making sure the heater is full, by turning on a hot water faucet until you have a steady stream of water. I'll assume your water heater is propane gas only, as that's the most common, so your gas has to be turned on also.

Tags