Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2022, 07:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
We don’t normally boondock, we have had extended periods of power outages. We will run a generator during the day to charge the batteries, so only need to power overnight and most likely in cool weather.

Question to you do you have a compressor refer, or just making assumptions.
We do not have a compressor refrigerator in our travel trailer. We dry camp extensively. In summer we can go for 5 days and have significant battery reserves. In an extended stay situation, we can run our 1000 watt inverter generator for 5 to 6 hours and stay for another 5 days. We currently have 200 amp hours.

If we were to install a compressor refer we would have to add battery capacity to get the same off grid time.

Assumptions are less than reliable. The running consumption and how long your battery bank lasts can be calculated, however, the compressor will run when thermostat calls for cooling. How much cooling is required is variable. You will have to estimate based on where and when you camp. Most places we camp do not allow generator operation.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #16
RDG

I had JC Refrigeration convert my Norcold 611 over to their 12v unit the first part of August. I had a 6:00 AM appointment and was on the road by 7:30 AM. I do like to do updates myself but for $250.00 installation charge, I had them do the install. My refrigerator is in a slide out and had to have heaver wire run from the batteries to the slide out which was another $200.00 so for under $1300.00 it was done, and I did not have to see the chiropractor. lol
I am very pleased with the workmanship and the way the unit works.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
I had JC Refrigeration convert my Norcold 611 over to their 12v unit the first part of August. I had a 6:00 AM appointment and was on the road by 7:30 AM. I do like to do updates myself but for $250.00 installation charge, I had them do the install. My refrigerator is in a slide out and had to have heaver wire run from the batteries to the slide out which was another $200.00 so for under $1300.00 it was done, and I did not have to see the chiropractor. lol
I am very pleased with the workmanship and the way the unit works.
You are one of many satisfied customers, myself included. Two hours for my install and when I got back to their shop, it was in place, wiring up and running, and on it's way to being very cold. It is night and day difference between the absorption version and the 12V compressor version.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:04 PM   #18

Not to be the devil's advocate but a dedicated properly sized inverter & a 120 volt household fridge would not only save you a lot on purchase price but increase your storage capacity by over 50%. A properly sized inverter can be 95% efficient. Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Chef-HM.../dp/B078P4W6M8
Old 10-11-2022, 05:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyteddy View Post
Not to be the devil's advocate but a dedicated properly sized inverter & a 120 volt household fridge would not only save you a lot on purchase price but increase your storage capacity by over 50%. A properly sized inverter can be 95% efficient. Example:
I had thoughts about going residential too, but when I gathered up the pros and cons, I went with the 12VDC conversion instead. In my opinion, the JC unit would be a better choice for at least a couple of reasons.

1. In my case, I have no solar and no inverter, so at a minimum, an inverter would have to be purchased and installed, then a circuit ran back to the fridge compartment in the streetside slide.

2. The JC unit has been hand built at their facility and is ruggedized specifically for RV usage....trailer movement, bump in the road, etc. A residential unit is made to be........well, in a residential location. Normally, residential locations do not bounce around, move, shake, etc. The fridge sits in one location in a temperature controlled environment. To me, this is advantage JC unit.

3. The OEM absorption unit comes out of the cubicle it's in, gets converted to 12VDC compressor, and goes right back in the same exact hole it came out of....no muss, no fuss, no altering or fitment issues to go right back in where it came out of.

Storage space is exactly the same with my unit. 18 cu. ft. before the mod....18 cu. ft. after the mod.

Of course everyone's situation is different, but for me, the JC mod made the most sense. A battery upgrade was needed whether I went with the JC mod or if I would have gone with a residential unit and had to install an inverter. My Trojan T105 batteries were "OK", but AHs were somewhat limited vs. me building a 302AH LFP battery....which I did.

Again, this is my opinion and it's what works for us and our usage....YMMV
Old 10-11-2022, 06:26 AM   #20

I would have had them install it as well if it were only $250..
I count the fuel involved for the round trip to take my unit to them which would add another $500 to my cost. So I installed it myself.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:35 AM   #21
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I had thoughts about going residential too, but when I gathered up the pros and cons, I went with the 12VDC conversion instead. In my opinion, the JC unit would be a better choice for at least a couple of reasons.

1. In my case, I have no solar and no inverter, so at a minimum, an inverter would have to be purchased and installed, then a circuit ran back to the fridge compartment in the streetside slide.

2. The JC unit has been hand built at their facility and is ruggedized specifically for RV usage....trailer movement, bump in the road, etc. A residential unit is made to be........well, in a residential location. Normally, residential locations do not bounce around, move, shake, etc. The fridge sits in one location in a temperature controlled environment. To me, this is advantage JC unit.

3. The OEM absorption unit comes out of the cubicle it's in, gets converted to 12VDC compressor, and goes right back in the same exact hole it came out of....no muss, no fuss, no altering or fitment issues to go right back in where it came out of.

Storage space is exactly the same with my unit. 18 cu. ft. before the mod....18 cu. ft. after the mod.

Of course everyone's situation is different, but for me, the JC mod made the most sense. A battery upgrade was needed whether I went with the JC mod or if I would have gone with a residential unit and had to install an inverter. My Trojan T105 batteries were "OK", but AHs were somewhat limited vs. me building a 302AH LFP battery....which I did.

Again, this is my opinion and it's what works for us and our usage....YMMV
X2. Thought about the residential route, did that on my class A. The JC unit is the way to go in my situation.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:12 PM   #22

I did the conversion a month ago. Had the factory do the install for a number of valid reasons I had. I have 510 watts of solar and two large AGM batteries so power consumption not an issue as long as we have sun.

My only complaint would be noise. We have a lot of vibration noise, I have been working to reduce it, more to be done. The fans in the fridge and the way the controller attaches is responsible for a good portion also the metal plate compressor is mounted to the remainder.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:09 AM   #23
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRT800 View Post
I did the conversion a month ago. Had the factory do the install for a number of valid reasons I had. I have 510 watts of solar and two large AGM batteries so power consumption not an issue as long as we have sun.

My only complaint would be noise. We have a lot of vibration noise, I have been working to reduce it, more to be done. The fans in the fridge and the way the controller attaches is responsible for a good portion also the metal plate compressor is mounted to the remainder.
We have no vibration, and the only noise is the fin fan which is very faint. I can't hear the compressor running when in the Motorhome.
I hope you find what is making the noise.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:29 AM   #24

No vibration issues here either. If I listen really hard and pay attention, I can hear the fin fans running, but they just are not a bothersome issue.....kind of like a gnat farting!
Old 10-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #25
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyteddy
The 120 volt AC amperage requirement will show how much power is drawn from an inverter. The JC compressor seems to pull 12 amps of power out of the batteries. If a residential fridge requires 1 amp of power at 120 volts AC then the inverter powering it will pull at least 12 amps out of the batteries.

I went to the owners manual for that unit to see what it's amp draw was but found this note. That particular one probably not a good choice...

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magic Chef.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	378611  
Old 10-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #26

Best Move I Ever Did

I had JC install the 12VDC unit last October. No issues just frozen ice cream again. From pre-sales to out the door they are the nicest people I have ever dealt with. On a 1 to 10 scale I'd give them and the product an 11.
PoorTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 02:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well our cooling unit has failed, pretty sure no cooling on gas or electric. Noticed some dreaded yellow powder and a slight smell of ammonia.
So now looking at the JC Refrigeration 12 volt compressor cooling unit. I have the room for it, and it seems like it should work better then the absorption unit.
Are there any members that have real world experience with one of there units?
Our refer is a Dometic RM2862, the replacement unit runs $785, install is $0.00 as I will do myself.

We replaced the cooling unit 8/3/2018, so got just over four years out of a new unit. A new absorption unit runs $740, and a rebuilt is $450. That puts the cost on par with absorption unit.

We full Time and mostly park host, so almost always have power, we have two Interstate SRM-27 batteries in parallel, if without power.
I recently replaced my failing cooling unit with their 12 volt compressor style replacement unit all I can say is wow what a difference. I was at lake Havasu in 118 degree weather this summer and the fridge stayed in the 30's and ice cream solid as a rock. I wouldn't hesitate to use the compressor style replacement . even dry camping the power consumption isn't a big deal
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:03 PM   #28

I installed a jc refrig 12v compressor cooling unit 2 years ago. Could not recommend it any higher. Has been excellent, after sale support was excellent. I installed myself and had a couple of hiccups which they helped me through. 2 years later same support when I had an issue with the ice maker. Again they walked me through a solution easily.

I find the unit pulls about 6 amps at 12v and I find it has a high duty cycle but I think that is because I need new seals.

It’s quiet, cools down very quick and frankly if I bought another coach with an absorption fridge I would swap it to a jc refrig unit immediately. Why suffer through any more time with a lousy fridge, takes forever to cool down or recover from loading groceries, and so no any other issues you correct with a compressor unit.
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, compressor, cooling