Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #57

They use helium.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...cooling-units/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #58

12v conversion

I changed my "Notcold" to the 12v compressor unit 4 rears ago. It has worked great. I recommend it. My unit does not have a LP capability. I think some may have this also. MOMCAT
Old 10-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
2 compressors? I only see one in the JC pics.
Correction...I guess they redesigned their compressor style units and added a second compressor.
I like that they continue to improve their product.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:08 PM   #60

Not lp gas and 12v pption...misspoke
Its helium i do believe and a 12v
Marty1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:04 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
https://youtu.be/Yte1V3CkDrw

Here is a video of a JC conversion. Unless you want to keep the look of your old fridge, and don’t mind the storage size, otherwise why won’t you just go with a new 12v? The cost is not much more, unless you do the conversion yourself.
In my case, there are no 12VDC fridge made that are as big as mine....Norcold 18.xx cu. ft. so it made perfectly good sense to have mine converter over the the twin, 12VDC compressors. Plus the fact that the JC unit is built "heavy duty", with thicker wall tubing, and the compressor's feet are rubber mounted...made to withstand the 4.5 earthquake of travelling down the bumpy roads and highways. Not mention, it went right back into the same hole that it came out of with ZERO modifications to the cabinetry for it to fit. Win/Win for me.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:59 PM   #62

What refrigerant do they use? Most compressor based fridges are getting away from r134a and using isobutane instead. Isobutane is safer for the Ozone & a bit more efficient but it is flammable, should the sealed system leak.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:08 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
In my case, there are no 12VDC fridge made that are as big as mine....Norcold 18.xx cu. ft. so it made perfectly good sense to have mine converter over the the twin, 12VDC compressors. Plus the fact that the JC unit is built "heavy duty", with thicker wall tubing, and the compressor's feet are rubber mounted...made to withstand the 4.5 earthquake of travelling down the bumpy roads and highways. Not mention, it went right back into the same hole that it came out of with ZERO modifications to the cabinetry for it to fit. Win/Win for me.
18 ft.³! WOW, that’s huge, no argument here! I would’ve done the same.

I just replaced a Norcold N8XRT Lp with a GE 9.8, 12V RV fridge. Perfect fit, just ran 10 AWG to a separate breaker on my battery, it’s huge compared to the Norcold. Wish I had it when we were full time a year ago!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #64

They use helium in the unit for heat transfer, but LP gas still "cooks" it. Here's a link to a quick explanation. https://www.ferrellgas.com/tank-talk...liquid%20state.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #65

I purchased the Norcold 811.
Am I happy yes
Does it work yes
https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...cooling-units/
Marty1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:45 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Correction...I guess they redesigned their compressor style units and added a second compressor.
I like that they continue to improve their product.
I believe the double compressor is for larger units to retrofit, where some of the small units only require one. The website shows both based on the model # being retrofitted.

I have done some corresponding with JC and they said the by using the Dutchaire Universal Fridge Control it will eliminate the Inkboard and the Norcold/Dometic control board and also control the freezer.
Kevin-Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
I recommend you let JC install it - they don't charge for it ... I got mine two years ago for about $600 so I guess the price has gone up some. You will need to run a heavier gauge wire from your batteries as the compressor draws much more than the electronics of the Norcold - they may charge you for this or you can run a 10 gauge pair before you go just don't connect it. I switched to their thermostat/controller this year ($104) so all the Norcold stuff is gone. I did a couple of modifications - used where their motion sensor light bulb plugs in to run the wires from the overhead built in light - not in your eyes so much better. I also bypassed their exposed on/off switch as it could be accidentally shut off. I had the Norcold on a circuit breaker and used that to power their thermostat so you can ignore all their harnesses - spade connectors on the compressor take the main power from the batteries, two more run power to the fans - they installed a thermistor on one of the Freon copper lines so they come on after the Freon has heated up some. About 9 minutes. Finally to wires from the thermostat which turn the whole system on and off by refrigerator temperature. It now makes more ice than I can use and trust me, that's a lot of ice.

Do you like the Dutchaire Universal Fridge Control mentioned above? I researched the size of the Norcold 1200 replacement 120v HVAC for my Mountain Aire and came to the conclusion I would have no access to the Norcold control board to reset or the Inkboard. If I decide on this over a residential, I will go this route.

Does anyone else have the Dutchaire Universal Fridge Control for the HVAC style retrofits? Pro's or Con's?
Kevin-Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:13 PM   #68

Well I went with the 12 volt and love it so far, cooled down to 38 degrees refer and 5 freezer in two hours.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:24 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin-Siesta View Post
Do you like the Dutchaire Universal Fridge Control mentioned above? I researched the size of the Norcold 1200 replacement 120v HVAC for my Mountain Aire and came to the conclusion I would have no access to the Norcold control board to reset or the Inkboard. If I decide on this over a residential, I will go this route.

Does anyone else have the Dutchaire Universal Fridge Control for the HVAC style retrofits? Pro's or Con's?
I do because my circuit board was an old style and wouldn't run their unit, It works perfect gives you the temperature inside your fridge and the light comes on using a motion sensor The only thing is after 28 years of seeing the lights on in the front of the fridge its weird not seeing them on. other than that, I kind of like the way it works much better.
rush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, compressor, cooling