Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The bowl is just that, a bowl.

It has no passages that can clog up or needle valve that can stick.

Take off the bowl and take some fine stranded electrical wire and stick it up thru the center passage a few times. That cleans out the crud so that the correct amount of gas is sucked up.
Wipe out the bowl and put it back on.

I'm referencing the Onan 4000 , which is the generator in my coach . I can't speak to the other models which I have no experience with.

In fact , on the 4000 model , the bowl has the main jet screwed into the bottom of the bowl and a 12v solenoid screws into the bottom of the jet . In addition , the bowl contains the altitude adjuster , which enters the bowl from the side and meters the main jet when compensating for altitude.

This is why they can gum up , because the jet and the alt. adjuster are both located in the bottom of the fuel bowl.

A gummed up carb can cause several conditions , from not starting , to starting and then dieing , to the engine surging at idle or under load.

The bowl can't be cleaned by putting it in a solvent bath because of the plastic parts on the alt. adjuster that are not removable .

The easiest fix is to replace the gummed up bowl with the bowl from an aftermarket carb.

For further clarity , check the YouTube videos available.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 06:04 AM   #16

Just replaced our carb with a knockoff, OEM around $400. and could not find one. Wish I would have known about just replacing the bowl on 4000, would have been a lot easier.
Has been running fine so far, probably a 150 hours, it does seem to be a little louder. I will be better about running it more often during storage. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:25 AM   #17

I've used knock-off carbs from eBay and Amazon for years on small engines.
Probably over a dozen.

Can only recall one that I had a problem with.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #18

I replaced the carb on our 5500 two years ago with a cheap knock-off from eBay for $260.00. It has been running great ever since. I tried cleaning the original and it was a no-go. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #19

Well, I removed the bowl and tried cleaning the carb as best I could without removing it from the generator. Started it back up and it ran for over 1/2 an hour, until I tried turning the basement air on and then it died. Would run with a lighter load such as a microwave. Ok, I thought, at least we're making progress. I went and got some lunch and when I came back to work on it some more it was acting the same as before I cleaned the carb... run for a minute or two and quit. What a $%#@$ pain!! These things remind me of John Steinbeck's description of his cantankerous outboard motor, which he dubbed the "Hansen Sea Cow", that would never run when the waves were high or when the wind blew, but content to run perfectly on a nice warm day when you wouldn't mind rowing yourself.

https://katzanddawgsunlimited.wordpr...ansen-sea-cow/

In any case, I went ahead and ordered a knock-off carb from Amazon yesterday, so we'll see how that goes. As an aside, I noticed that the so-called OEM Onan carb sold on Amazon is also made in China and has worse buyer ratings than the knock-offs!
Old 10-21-2021, 06:01 AM   #20

Almost sounds like your fuel pump is not keeping up.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
Almost sounds like your fuel pump is not keeping up.
I thought the same thing, but I've tried three different fuel pumps, replaced the fuel filter and all but the last foot of fuel line. The only thing that helped (somewhat) was cleaning the carb.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #22

I had several fuel pumps fail, each before each weekend trip was up. One was Airtec, one was supplied by Cummins and it looked like Airtec, and finally I purchased an old school Carter and have had not trouble since.

But in my case though, it was obvious the pump was failing each time. There was no gas in the bowl.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #23

Part of the problem troubleshooting fuel pumps is that the generator control board shuts off the 12 volts to the pump at the first sign of trouble, so yes, you can have minimal fuel in the bowl even though there is nothing wrong with the pump. When testing the pump you really need to connect it to another 12VDC source in case there's something wrong with the control board or some other issue that is causing the board to cut the voltage.

I think all the safety sensors (over/under voltage, frequency, temperature, oil level etc.) are a big reason these generators are so finicky. Yes, I understand the reasons for them on an RV, but the old school outdoor generators I've used at work sites didn't have most of these sensors and seem a lot less problematic.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #24

Well, my $59 Amazon Chinese carburetor is installed and the generator has never run better! It literally started on the first crank. I ran it for an hour with the air conditioning on full and it never skipped a beat. No fuel leaks either!

I even got rid of the alternate fuel pickup I had rigged up through the extra vent pipe in the fuel tank as it wasn't needed. I'd been chasing my tail for months thinking this was a vapor lock, fuel pump or fuel pick-up problem while it was the carburetor all along.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Well, my $59 Amazon Chinese carburetor is installed and the generator has never run better! It literally started on the first crank. I ran it for an hour with the air conditioning on full and it never skipped a beat. No fuel leaks either!

I even got rid of the alternate fuel pickup I had rigged up through the extra vent pipe in the fuel tank as it wasn't needed. I'd been chasing my tail for months thinking this was a vapor lock, fuel pump or fuel pick-up problem while it was the carburetor all along.
Congratulations.....I imagine most of the "OEM" carbs are made in China anyway.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
Congratulations.....I imagine most of the "OEM" carbs are made in China anyway.
Yes, the $400 carburetors available on Amazon claiming to be Cummins/Onan brand are indeed made in China.

https://www.amazon.com/Cummins-54107...%2C303&sr=8-21
Old 10-26-2021, 11:51 PM   #27

I bought one for $48, it will be installed on my gasser Onan tomorrow. I shall report results then.

Tags
generator, onan, generators