Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #1
NXR

Kwikee 3-step electric - slop in mechanism. Again.

This is not the usual motor, switch, or binding problem. Electrically and mechanically they extend and retract fine and are often lubed to keep them that way.

In 2019 when our motorhome was about 3 months old we had to have the Kwikee steps replaced under warranty because a couple of the monster-sized rivets they use to secure the steps to the mechanism were literally pulling right through the metal side arms. We also had a lot of slop when stepping on the left side as opposed to the right side.

Since then we use wood blocks or the screw jacks to help support the steps everywhere except at home to try and avoid those problems.

Of course, barely two years after the steps were replaced under warranty we now have a lot slop in the mechanism on the left side again. But at least the rivets are not pulling through, yet. The right side is far more solid.

With the steps retracted, I actually can easily wiggle the one arm, the one that holds the bottom step front to the middle step front (on the left side) so there's wear in both of those giant rivets or their holes or something.

Additionally, on the top step, at the rear left on the "L" shaped piece, I can see wear on that rivet and I can move the step a bit up and down.

Both of the above means the left side of the steps is not pulled as tight as the right side when retracted but they're not dropping much. Yet.

I see people sell a "self-lubricating bronze bushing" but it appears that Lippert no longer sells a full repair kit, other than the motor parts. This is strictly a mechanical problem. I don't even know if that thing can help me because it does not appear that I have them now.

Bushing: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC116531.html

Has anyone else had to deal with this and come up with a permanent fix?

I'm thinking about grinding those rivet heads off, the part with the "X", and seeing how the hole in the steps themselves look but I'm kind of committed to do something once I do that. So yeah, I'd like to do it right the first time.

Thanks,

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #2

To replace NLA rivets, measure the diameter+length, then go buy "shoulder bolts" of the same measurments, The threaded portion of shoulder bolts are not measured, buy Nyloc nuts to fit the threads. The shoulder bolts should be slightly longer than the bushing to prevent binding.
If you will be using those oil-lite bushings, buy shoulder bolts to fit them instead.
Don't use threaded bolts through the oil-lite bushings, the threads will quickly destroy them.

That solves the rivet problem if the bracket holes are not wallowed out too much already.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:00 PM   #3

Bushings are usually tapped or pressed into place. The metal of the step is so thin it would deform if you tried to install a bushing.

Mine had the same problem, also on the left. I used a bridge clamp to squeeze the rivet, it helped. Any heavy C clamp that tightens with a wrench will probably compress the rivet enough to tighten it up for awhile. That's really all you'll get because of how poorly they're made.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #4

Post #4 here, member NHRA225 says he completely rebuilt his steps, perhaps he remembers how he replaced the rivets.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
NXR

Thanks for the suggestions. When the rivets on the original set started pulling through I was able to "re-squeeze" them with a large clamp so I'll give that a try again. I had forgotten about doing that. I don't have a bridge clamp so maybe I'll try a small vise instead.

When I worked in aviation we often put a "doubler plate" behind something to strengthen it, such as where antennas mounted to the fuselage. That's just extra meta and l'm thinking I may need to do something similar if the holes in the steps have enlarged.

The way I can just lift up on the top step a bit makes me believe a bushing has been damaged or the metal elongated, though. That's where I was hoping those bronze bushings may be of help, especially if I can get a piece of metal bar stock on the inside of the steps.

Ray
Old 08-05-2022, 05:02 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I did in deed rebuild my steps and replaced all of the factory welded rivets with Shoulder bolts and Bronze Bushings-I'll check my notes and post back later as I'm on a different laptop at the moment.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:37 PM   #7

If you have a couple hammers you can re peen the rivets to tighten them up. One hammer acts as an anvil and the other peen over the expanded side of the rivet. You don't have to strike them hard, just strike off center and work your way around. If you have a heavier hammer use it as the anvil. This will get things tightened back up unto you can source parts.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225
I did indeed rebuild my steps and replaced all of the factory welded rivets with Shoulder bolts and Bronze Bushings-I'll check my notes and post back later as I'm on a different laptop at the moment.
Thanks! Mine were replaced under warranty in 2019 so while they may be different from yours due to the age and Kwikee being bought by Lippert, probably not by much, hopefully. I'm most interested in what is sitting between the moving arms and the steps.

It kind of looks like a washer rather than a bushing but I cannot really tell. The big area of concern is that top step where I can see vertical movement at the rivet. It could either be a worn bushing or an elongated hole in the step.

Ray
Old 08-06-2022, 08:49 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
1st --I bought a used set of steps identical to mine (Kwikee 32's) they were pretty rusted- --knocked some of the rust off --removed the electronics .
I then ground off the inside of the steel rivets and punched out the remainder as to not elongate the holes. Mine had 2 sizes of holes on the upper and lower 1/2 in and 3/8 in.
I then sanded off all of the Brackets and measured for Bushings and Shoulder Bolts along with Nylock Nuts. In my search for bushings I found that they come in different hardness Spec's and self lubing too. I then assembled the steps with the electronics and bench tested and they were Like New.
I disassembled the steps- sand lasted and had them powder coated --upon reassembly I had to Dremel out the holes to remove the Powder Coating in order to refit the new Hardware. I purchased all of the New Hardware from McMaster Carr . See the attached and feel to ask questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt Kit.png
Views:	21
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	372956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronze Bushing.png
Views:	16
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	372958  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Current Order _ McMaster-Carr.pdf (80.1 KB, 6 views)
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #10
NXR

Thank you very much for all of the details. That essentially is what I was thinking I would need to do but I'll need to do it to my steps rather than a spare set.

I tried recompressing the rivets with clamps and hammers as suggested but all they did was bend a bit on the ends, just like the first set did when they were pulling through the arms. (The "X" part was almost completely flush with the arms in three months since delivery and I found posts from other people with the same pics as I had.)

Did you have a washer or perhaps a nylon bushing between the articulating arms and the steps themselves? I have something soft-appearing but I cannot tell if it's just a washer or an actual bushing. Some of my reading found it may be a nylon bushing that was worn through.

These steps are fairly new and since the first set went bad we almost always have something under the bottom step to help stabilize them, such as wood or two of the screw jacks. They are very solid when stepping on them when supported but even that has not prevented the slop on the left side.

Ray

Tags
electric, kwikee