Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kwikee Step issue

Hi, got back from 9700 miles on the road last month with no 'major' issues but a nagging step motor problem. Sometimes the steps wouldn't extend (mostly). Could almost always 'fix' it by hammering on the motor.

So, figuring it is/was probably a motor with a bare spot, I ordered a replacement motor/gear from eTrailer that said it was the one that would fit my year Kwikee (2004 HR Vacationer). It does fit but . . not exactly (needed a new pigtail but that was another issue).

My steps have a gear where part of the tip of the gear notches into a hole in the step frame. This holds the gear in the exact position necessary for mating to large extension gear. The replacement motor/gear does not have the same gear with the tip that can go in the frame hole. It does fit but doesn't work using the same 'smaller' bolts/nuts from the original. They allow the gear to move away too much (no gear pin extension to hold it in place) and it 'skips' gears (noisy! - ratchet sound). I replaced the original bolts/nuts with larger size to keep gear in place (larger bolts don't allow so much movement) and that seems to work - for now.

My question - has anyone had this experience before and did the use of larger bolts work and hold for you or should I still be looking for an exact fit even though I am told it doesn't exist. Tried Visone but they claim they don't have a used one for my coach.

Thanks for any help . . .

Picture of the original step motor. Replacement has no tip showing . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4171.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	262078  
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Pull that top gear off and remove the cover- You'll see a Plastic gear under neath that and look at the teeth- I bet it is stripped - if so its available.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

I just replaced the motor on a Kwikee Step for our 2014 Southwind.
Kwikee's web site was helpful in identifying the correct motor and I was able to purchase one from Amazon for $107.00 CAD.
An easy install and all is working fine now.
I would not spend time trying to get an incorrect motor to work.
Determine the correct model and replace with new.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thought I'd better update on this step issue. The install with bigger bolts did not last more than a few weeks. Steps started stuttering and binding. Finally removed the entire assembly (plate/gear/motor) and re-installed the motor with longer bolts and better nuts/lock washers. So far, it is know holding but does not go out/in as smoothly as it did previously. I do expect it to fail sometime soon because it just can't keep in the exact position it needs to be. What I have found out is the motor is NOT a correct replacement, even thou Lippert says it is (go figure!). There are really two alternatives - a new step plate/gearbox upgrade (replace everything) which is available on Amazon for about $400.00 or use a substitute motor that does match the installed one. This is a Stromberg Carlson model SP-1636669 (also available on Amazon) for about $90.00. This motor has the proper gear/pin that fits into the step plate and correctly indexes the gear/motor AND holds it firmly in place without the need to torque the three bolts like there is no tomorrow.I bought one and have it as my spare when the current one will no longer stay in place.

Also, be careful with what manuals were included with your coach concerning these steps. Mine was the wrong one and had wrong numbers - I had to get the correct one off the Internet

Hope this helps someone
Old 03-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #5

Have you been lubricating the step piviot points monthly as recommended by Kwikee?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Have you been lubricating the step piviot points monthly as recommended by Kwikee?
I have been lubing the stairs constantly. The problem is the bolts (without the pin of the step motor gear that keeps it in the exact place) allow the motor/gear to shift out of place and bind/loosen while turning the table. I have torqued the bolts as tight as I can but that still doesn't insure the motor is absolutely correctly positioned. Without the gear pin to hold the motor in the correct position, it can move because of the amount of pressure involved. That motor is NOT the proper fit for this step table regardless of what kwikee states. And there was no way the original bolts could begin to hold the new motor/gear in place (they are much thinner and allow all kinds of slop but that is because the gear pin was what held it in proper alignment. At least the larger size bolts do keep it in 'relatively' the right position. But it still 'wobbles'.

Tags
kwikee