Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's how mine work too, and it's the way the Kwikee product Service Training Manual says they work.

I think Dean's two switches are a coach mfgr. modification.
Actually the step power switch (door switch overide) is in all manuals that Kwikee published. (Even manual 842 for Series 42 steps now discontinued)

Some kwikee steps do not need the ignition override (trailers) and some do not have the door switch override (vans?) and are discussed in the manuals.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Just last month my Kwikee step model 28 would not retract. Following the troubleshooting chart indicated the controller was bad. I doubted that so continued testing.
It was the magnetic switch again, it had moved and was not functioning properly. I re-positioned the switch so it made better contact with the door magnet and immediately it began functioning as designed again.
The magnetic switch is held in position with 2 sheet metal screws, mine were too short and only extended into the carpeting in the step well. I used longer self-tapping screws to reach the metal wall.
I carry a magnet on a stick to escape that situation. I have my entry door hinge sag and misalign the door magnet and door frame switch.

Also a spare magnet is an easy way to test your door switch functionality.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
I’ve searched for 30 - 45 mins and can’t find the answer to my issue so decided to post.

My Kwikee 3-steps have never given me any problems until today. Had the steps in overnight and when the DW went to go outside this morning, the steps didn’t go out when the door opened. After some experimenting, it appears that the steps work perfectly with the step switch in the ON position. They work perfectly with the STEP switch in the OFF position when the key is in the ignition and in the ON position.

The steps won’t go out in this scenario:

1) ignition key out
2) step switch ON
3) close door which brings steps in
4) turn step switch OFF
5) open door and steps DON’T go out

I removed, cleaned, and reattached the ground wires that go to the frame. Only thing that I know off that is different is that we drove in some light rain yesterday for about 50 miles. Also, if I remember correctly, the steps would always retract/extend when you close/open the door with the key in the ignition, but NOT in the ON position. If this is correct, they no longer work in this scenario with the step switch in the OFF position.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I wish my steps would work like that again!

All you need to do is add one door switch tactic.

6. Door open. Steps do not extend. Turn step switch to ON.

That is how my steps worked until the fuse started blowing.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Actually the step power switch (door switch overide) is in all manuals that Kwikee published. (Even manual 842 for Series 42 steps now discontinued)

Some kwikee steps do not need the ignition override (trailers) and some do not have the door switch override (vans?) and are discussed in the manuals.
You are correct, however, he has 2 switches inside.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #19

Quote:
You are correct, however, he has 2 switches inside.
I suspect most Class A Motorhomes do. The door magnetic switch of some sort and the Step Switch.

The step switch uses 12v power to hold the steps in their last position.

Step switch on = Steps move with Door

Step switch off = Steps stay in last position (unless ignition event).

This is how my older version worked before fuse event.

Our goal is to have the Step extended with the door closed to avoid cycling the steps needlessly.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
I suspect most Class A Motorhomes do. The door magnetic switch of some sort and the Step Switch.

The step switch uses 12v power to hold the steps in their last position.

Step switch on = Steps move with Door

Step switch off = Steps stay in last position (unless ignition event).

This is how my older version worked before fuse event.

Our goal is to have the Step extended with the door closed to avoid cycling the steps needlessly.
I interpreted his post to say he has 2 switches + the magnetic door switch. I must have been wrong.
From everything he has posted his steps are operating correctly, except for the steps staying retracted when the door is opened. That IMO is connected to the magnetic door switch operation or lack thereof.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #21

Ray,IN and deandec, I’ve gotten kind of confused with the last several posts. Not sure if you’re talking about my issue or not. In Ray,IN’s post immediately above he says “he has 2 switches + the magnetic door switch”, if I’m the “he” in terms of switches I have the step on/off switch and the magnetic door switch. My steps seem to be working perfectly except for the one scenario. That scenario is step switch on, open door, steps extend, close door, steps retract, turn step switch off, open door and steps DO NOT extend. As for the magnetic switch goes, it works when the switch is on.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
The yellow wire is supposed to be voltage from the ignition switch; when the key is on, you get 12 volts, and it overrides the step switch and retracts the step when the door is closed. That's its only function IIRC. I'd suggest replacing the controller, if they weren't so darn expensive.
HarryStone, using the trouble shooting guide, my yellow wire tests as it should. Also, anytime the ignition is on and the steps are out, they do retract.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Ray,IN and deandec, I’ve gotten kind of confused with the last several posts. Not sure if you’re talking about my issue or not. In Ray,IN’s post immediately above he says “he has 2 switches + the magnetic door switch”, if I’m the “he” in terms of switches I have the step on/off switch and the magnetic door switch. My steps seem to be working perfectly except for the one scenario. That scenario is step switch on, open door, steps extend, close door, steps retract, turn step switch off, open door and steps DO NOT extend. As for the magnetic switch goes, it works when the switch is on.
Kxbronco:

You have one door Switch which says door open, steps out, door closed, steps in.

You have one Step switch which says if Off steps do not move, if On steps move with the door position.

You have an Ignition override which says I do not care what the step switch says. If I am running or just turned off, the step will follow the door.

So, you park your rig, with the Step switch set to Off and turn off the engine.

Open the door and close the door one time. The Step will follow the Door due to the Ignition override.

Open the door a second time, the step will not move because the Step Switch is turned to Off and the ignition override is no longer a factor.

Turn your step switch to On and the steps will extend.

Turn your step switch Off and the step will remain extended when you close the door.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #24

deandec,

I agree with everything you describe with 1 exception. In the highlighted part below, I’m not 100% sure my steps will come back in in this scenario. I kind of think they stay out. My moho is at my storage facility so I can’t test it now. I will check this scenario when I have it out in a few weeks.

So maybe you can help me understand how the steps know to go out in this scenario. Using the troubleshooting flowchart, the yellow wire, which is the ignition override, is only hot when the ignition is in the on position. So assuming no power in the yellow wire due to the ignition being off and the step switch is off, how do the steps know to go out? Is there some logic in the control module that gets triggered when the ignition goes from on to off? Is there some flag or indicator that overrides the step switch and energizes the magnetic switch? I’ve dug into it this far that “I gots to know”!

Quote:
Kxbronco:

You have one door Switch which says door open, steps out, door closed, steps in.

You have one Step switch which says if Off steps do not move, if On steps move with the door position.

You have an Ignition override which says I do not care what the step switch says. If I am running or just turned off, the step will follow the door.

So, you park your rig, with the Step switch set to Off and turn off the engine.

Open the door and close the door one time. The Step will follow the Door due to the Ignition override.

Open the door a second time, the step will not move because the Step Switch is turned to Off and the ignition override is no longer a factor.

Turn your step switch to On and the steps will extend.

Turn your step switch Off and the step will remain extended when you close the door.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #25

The is sequence outlined in the Manuals, but there is no explanation of how the module makes the decisions.

So, I cannot provide your requested info.

"Is there a scenario, in a perfectly functioning step, where the steps SHOULD NOT extend when the door is opened (assuming steps are retracted when door is opened)?

Yes, if your Step Switch is telling the steps to not move with the door. (See post #9)
Old 11-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
The is sequence outlined in the Manuals, but there is no explanation of how the module makes the decisions.

So, I cannot provide your requested info.

"Is there a scenario, in a perfectly functioning step, where the steps SHOULD NOT extend when the door is opened (assuming steps are retracted when door is opened)?

Yes, if your Step Switch is telling the steps to not move with the door. (See post #9)
Concur. I just verified it with my steps. Steps in, door switch off, open door, steps remain in.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #27

Thanks deandec for the input and the effort. I really do appreciate it. I guess I’ve just never had this scenario in the past 5 years of ownership. Apparently, they are working as they should. I definitely learned a lot about my steps!

Thank you HarryStone for confirming. I will definitely check mine out the next time I have it out of storage.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks deandec for the input and the effort. I really do appreciate it. I guess I’ve just never had this scenario in the past 5 years of ownership. Apparently, they are working as they should. I definitely learned a lot about my steps!

Thank you HarryStone for confirming. I will definitely check mine out the next time I have it out of storage.
Yes, I've read on here that some people seem to have Kwikees with "special" modes. It looks like you're agreeing to go with this explanation, but imo, the steps operating the way you describe (step switch off, steps not extending when door is opened) is an indication of a malfunction. I just can't imagine Kwikee or any other company designing a system that could easily cause an injury.

The steps should extend when the door is opened no matter what position the ignition switch or step switch is in.

Tags
kwikee