Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #1

Kwikee Step Issue

I’ve searched for 30 - 45 mins and can’t find the answer to my issue so decided to post.

My Kwikee 3-steps have never given me any problems until today. Had the steps in overnight and when the DW went to go outside this morning, the steps didn’t go out when the door opened. After some experimenting, it appears that the steps work perfectly with the step switch in the ON position. They work perfectly with the STEP switch in the OFF position when the key is in the ignition and in the ON position.

The steps won’t go out in this scenario:

1) ignition key out
2) step switch ON
3) close door which brings steps in
4) turn step switch OFF
5) open door and steps DON’T go out

I removed, cleaned, and reattached the ground wires that go to the frame. Only thing that I know off that is different is that we drove in some light rain yesterday for about 50 miles. Also, if I remember correctly, the steps would always retract/extend when you close/open the door with the key in the ignition, but NOT in the ON position. If this is correct, they no longer work in this scenario with the step switch in the OFF position.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 05:46 PM   #2

Ok , three fuses in the Kwikee step wiring , that have to be located and checked .

Some pdfs on the steps .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Step-Troubleshooting-Flow-Chart.pdf (1.49 MB, 71 views)
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
The step switch should only keep the steps out, never in. If you have cleaned the connecter underneath, and the ground, I'd suggest going thru the Kwikee step troubleshooting procedure. https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001636.pdf

You don't necessarily need the pigtail, if you have wires with insulated alligator clips.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #4

Clean the connections in the magnetic switch on the door jamb. Mine would not extend after sitting for 4 months, I used a strong magnet to trigger the switch, which took 6-8 tries.
When it finally triggered the steps to extend, I removed the switch and cleaned the connections. Now it works as designed again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I will be stationary for a few days starting tomorrow afternoon and will start troubleshooting. Think I will dig into the magnetic switch on the door jamb first. If no luck there, guess I will use the troubleshooting guide.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:52 AM   #6

Ok folks, it’s been several weeks and I’m back to looking into this again. I’ve cleaned all the grounds I can find and they looked/look ok. I don’t see any obvious issues, but then again I’m not the most electrical wiring proficient person in the world.

Just to recap, my steps seem to function exactly as they should except in the one scenario I described in my initial post. Let me ask this, just to confirm before I break out the volt meter. Is there a scenario, in a perfectly functioning step, where the steps SHOULD NOT extend when the door is opened (assuming steps are retracted when door is opened)?

In looking at the owners manual for my moho, if found the info below. Look at the second caution statement. I don’t know if this happened or not. My question about this is is there a reset procedure for this situation or does it reset itself when the switch button is turned on?

Any help would be appreciated. Headed outside to get the volt meter and start testing some connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC8B735E-8128-4001-9CE2-FB745E85551B.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	348314  
Old 11-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #7

UPDATE: Unfortunately, I still have the problem. I went through the troubleshooting flowchart (link in 2nd post above). I’m a computer programmer so flowcharts are great for me!

I did my tests with the steps out. The flowchart doesn’t specify if they should be in or out. Started the tests with the step switch OFF. The flowchart refers to anOVERRIDE swith which I assumed was what I call the step switch. Everything in the 4 wire plug connector tested out as it should. Voltage was above 12v.

Starting half way down page 3 of the flowchart it starts testing the 2 wire connector to the motor. It doesn’t specify whether the step switch should be on or off. I did the test both ways. It doesn’t say if the steps should be in or out. I did the test with the steps out. With the step switch OFF, there is no power on the red when the door is opened and no power on the yellow wire when the door is closed. I further checked both wires for power when the door was both opened and closed and there was never any power to either wire when the step switch was off.

With the step switch ON and steps out, there was NO power at the red wire when the door was opened and NO power at the yellow wire when the door was closed. With these readings, the flowchart indicates defective control module BUT when the door is opened I get power on the yellow wire and when the door is closed I get power on the red wire which is the opposite of what the flowchart is looking for.

So what does this mean? Could testing with the steps out effect the reversed power readings on the red and yellow wires? Why does everything appear to work exactly as it should except for the one scenario? Is it possible the scenario in the 2nd caution statement from the owners manual that I posted above be in play and I need to do some kind of reset?
Old 11-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #8

My kwikee steps have the same mode that you describe. Most people, that I read here, don't have the same functionality: If I have the step switch set to leave the steps out and then turn the ignition to the right, first position ("ON"), this will make the steps retract, which I hear retracting. Then if I open the door, they don't extend. To overcome this I close the door, change the step switch to normal mode and then open the door and they will extend again. It can be dangerous if not paying attention: The only scenario that I can think of for this mode is if you use permanent steps at a location and don't need the steps coming out. Welcome to the special mode club.
If I have the step switch set to leave the steps out, I put a clothes pin on the ignition key to remind me to flip the step switch to normal before starting the engine.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Steps out, door switch override wall switch is off. Steps stay out regardless of door position.

Steps out, wall override switch off ignition on. Steps retract so you will not trash your steps.

But.....the steps will not extend when the door is opened and the ignition is off, because the door switch is overridden by the wall switch.

My steps have worked this way for 20 years and is apparently by design. So look down before you step out.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies RKins and deandec. I’ve had the moho for 5 years and I’ve never noticed this “special” mode. I just took her back to storage so I can’t do anymore checking at the moment. It just seems like they have always come out when the door was opened regardless of the switches.

Deandec, I’m 99.99% sure that my steps will extend regardless of the switch setting when the door is opened after the ignition is switched from on to off. I will double check next time I have her out.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #11

Just last month my Kwikee step model 28 would not retract. Following the troubleshooting chart indicated the controller was bad. I doubted that so continued testing.
It was the magnetic switch again, it had moved and was not functioning properly. I re-positioned the switch so it made better contact with the door magnet and immediately it began functioning as designed again.
The magnetic switch is held in position with 2 sheet metal screws, mine were too short and only extended into the carpeting in the step well. I used longer self-tapping screws to reach the metal wall.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 11-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
The yellow wire is supposed to be voltage from the ignition switch; when the key is on, you get 12 volts, and it overrides the step switch and retracts the step when the door is closed. That's its only function IIRC. I'd suggest replacing the controller, if they weren't so darn expensive.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
Thanks for the replies RKins and deandec. I’ve had the moho for 5 years and I’ve never noticed this “special” mode. I just took her back to storage so I can’t do anymore checking at the moment. It just seems like they have always come out when the door was opened regardless of the switches.

Deandec, I’m 99.99% sure that my steps will extend regardless of the switch setting when the door is opened after the ignition is switched from on to off. I will double check next time I have her out.
That's how mine work too, and it's the way the Kwikee product Service Training Manual says they work.

I think Dean's two switches are a coach mfgr. modification.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post

I think you are correct with your 10 year newer Kwickee setup. You just need to make sure there is not a rock or post in the way of your step when you open the door. Although, the Imgl version fixes that problem.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee