Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Kwikee Step Issue- Help

I have a 2 step Kwikee entrance step that is intermittent. I have checked all the wires and thought it might be an issue with the power wire (12v) from the rear circuit panel. So I connected another 12v wire from another closer source and it did not work. The original senario works sometimes and I can't determine what or when. If the magnet solenoid (door trigger) goes out, what is the symptom? It seems I may have a bad connection but I don't see it. Ground seems to be good.

All suggestions welcome. We are planning to take a trip next week and need to get it solved.

Thanks
John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If the magnet is not centered on the reed switch that signals the door opening it will create an issue. Pull the switch out of the door frame and see if wires are attached. Then Google a manual for your step model. I understand some are made to have the switch open when door is closed, others close the switch when the door closes. You'll have to discover which way yours works. Also see if the switch works in the 12 v (+) side or it makes or breaks a connection with ground.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If the magnet is not centered on the reed switch that signals the door opening it will create an issue. Pull the switch out of the door frame and see if wires are attached. Then Google a manual for your step model. I understand some are made to have the switch open when door is closed, others close the switch when the door closes. You'll have to discover which way yours works. Also see if the switch works in the 12 v (+) side or it makes or breaks a connection with ground.
Thanks for the feedback. I took the switch out and it looks ok. I now have a manual (internet) and will start testing the pin outs under troubleshooting. Since it is intermittent, I think it is going to be wiring/connections somewhere.

John
Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I took the switch out and it looks ok. I now have a manual (internet) and will start testing the pin outs under troubleshooting. Since it is intermittent, I think it is going to be wiring/connections somewhere.

John
Two most common causes are: the magnetic switch (Amazon has it) and a bad ground. Buy the switch and try it, if that's not it, its good to have a spare regardless.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #5

I had the same issue with mine and it ended up being the motor would get stuck. The motor pretty much stops and starts in the same place every time, so I guess it wears. I replaced the motor (and controller) and haven't had anymore issues.
Jim-MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update

I think part of my problem is with the hot wire from the rear distribution panel as I could not get a 12v reading from it when testing at the step. I have run another wire from the driver's side fuse panel in the front outside compartment to the red wire on the step pigtail.

I also checked all the pin outs on the pigtail connector with the new wire and they were all good. I put it all back together leaving the new 12v wire connected and the old one and the steps work.

We are camping during this week and the step has been working properly. I am not going to try to trace the original hot wire from the rear as it will be almost impossible to get to under the chassis. When we get back I will disconnect the old hot wire from the setup and see if the steps still work.

Thanks for the feedback.

John
Old 12-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

This might sound like a dumb question but,
Have you tried giving them a good douse of spray lube? One of the biggest reasons these steps fail is lack of lubrication. Particularly if you are in a humid climate.

Use a good spray lube like CRC Power Lube from your local Auto Parts Store.
WD40 is a poor choice as it evaporates quickly.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
This might sound like a dumb question but,
Have you tried giving them a good douse of spray lube? One of the biggest reasons these steps fail is lack of lubrication. Particularly if you are in a humid climate.

Use a good spray lube like CRC Power Lube from your local Auto Parts Store.
WD40 is a poor choice as it evaporates quickly.
That's a good idea. I know it was electrical since the override switch (at door) won't light up like it's supposed to when I have the problem.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
stuck step

I had same problem after I took it apart piece by piece I found that the main gear was almost seized to the mounting bolt. after soaking and working it got it loosened and no more problems. Be careful with motor mount as there are small spacers that fall out. I also had to retime the step motor. Works great since.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee