Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Kwikee Step Switch Holds Step Retracted, not Extended

Installed a new Kwikee Controller 379146 for my Series 42 steps.

Steps move with door as they should.

Ignition Override works as it should

Step switch override will hold step retracted when door opens, but not extended when the door closes. This is Backwards!

Lippert Tech person says I need an updated switch but has yet to recommend one. Really?

Mine is a SPST rocker switch and tests properly.

Is my switch outdated or is there another fix for my problem.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
He's likely referring to the door switch, and not the rocker switch. You need a normally open switch, and you probably have a normally closed switch.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...ion_manual.pdf
Old 12-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Installed a new Kwikee Controller 379146 for my Series 42 steps.

Steps move with door as they should.

Ignition Override works as it should

Step switch override will hold step retracted when door opens, but not extended when the door closes. This is Backwards!

Lippert Tech person says I need an updated switch but has yet to recommend one. Really?

Mine is a SPST rocker switch and tests properly.

Is my switch outdated or is there another fix for my problem.
Kwikee changed between normally closed (NC) and normally open (NO) switches. Whichever one you have, you need the other kind. Magnetic switches with both NO and NC contacts are widely available, and that's what we use.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #4

On my coach, the switch is a normal single pole single throw switch, AKA, a light switch.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Kwikee changed between normally closed (NC) and normally open (NO) switches. Whichever one you have, you need the other kind. Magnetic switches with both NO and NC contacts are widely available, and that's what we use.
I understand that is for the door activated switch.

My steps go in and out with the door. My original switch was normally open. The new controller needs a normally open switch.

So this is not the current problem.

A SPST rocker switch used for the step override, has no NO vs NC feature.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
He's likely referring to the door switch, and not the rocker switch. You need a normally open switch, and you probably have a normally closed switch.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...ion_manual.pdf
Wrong. I have a "normally open" door switch.

The steps follow the door.

But thanks for responding.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #7

"Step switch override will hold step retracted when door opens, but not extended when the door closes. This is Backwards!"

That does sound messed up. Since the other mode works it sounds to me like you have a faulty controller. Hopefully you can return/exchange it.

Surprised Lippert wasn't more helpful.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
"Step switch override will hold step retracted when door opens, but not extended when the door closes. This is Backwards!"

That does sound messed up. Since the other mode works it sounds to me like you have a faulty controller. Hopefully you can return/exchange it.

Surprised Lippert wasn't more helpful.
I got the feeling that there was not much knowledge on the part of the Tech. It's response did not make much sense to me.

Since this is the second controller and the step override switch at least tries to work, I doubt a third one will solve the problem.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:51 AM   #9

I Need to Work on Careful Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I understand that is for the door activated switch.

My steps go in and out with the door. My original switch was normally open. The new controller needs a normally open switch.

So this is not the current problem.

A SPST rocker switch used for the step override, has no NO vs NC feature.
D'oh! Sorry for the spurious post. Gotta work on the reading comprehension thing...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:42 AM   #10

I'm sure this is frustrating for you. I expect that the new modules do not work the same as the one you took out. I found a different wiring diagram in an online search at this web address:

https://schematron.org/wiring-diagra...ep-module.html

Note the wire color differences and the different method of using the ground to control the door. I expect you are getting a ground at the wrong time.

Do you have the in/out button door switch or the magnetic door switch on your coach?
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #11

One of the functions of my old controller, as we talked about in your other thread, is if the door is open (and step out) when you turn the "Power Switch" ON, the +V makes the step stay out. On the other hand, if the door is closed (Step in) when the power switch is turned ON, it keeps the step in.
So, are you waiting for the step to be out before you flip the switch on?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
One of the functions of my old controller, as we talked about in your other thread, is if the door is open (and step out) when you turn the "Power Switch" ON, the +V makes the step stay out. On the other hand, if the door is closed (Step in) when the power switch is turned ON, it keeps the step in.
So, are you waiting for the step to be out before you flip the switch on?
Yes. My 1995 steps have always worked that way since new. But, the first new control module always blew the step wire fuse. The second works backwards.

I have ordered a new motor from E-Trailer to see if that solves this issue.

ript,
Old 12-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #13

If you look at the wiring diagram the on off switch should be at 12v in one position and open in the other position. If that is the behavior at the 4 way plug to the controller then I don't see how it isn't the controller. If that's not the behavior then your switch or wiring to the switch is incompatible.

The motor goes one direction with power applied, then reverses with the other polarity, since the steps work correctly based on the door switch you don't have a motor problem.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I'm sure this is frustrating for you. I expect that the new modules do not work the same as the one you took out. I found a different wiring diagram in an online search at this web address:

https://schematron.org/wiring-diagra...ep-module.html

Note the wire color differences and the different method of using the ground to control the door. I expect you are getting a ground at the wrong time.

Do you have the in/out button door switch or the magnetic door switch on your coach?
The posted schematic shows a "normally closed" door switch.

My old magnetic door switch is normally open (and white) and works correctly with the new controller and the steps following the door. (My 1995 step schematic displays the door switch as normally open.)

(Lippert says a normally open door switch will be black...but they apparently are wrong regarding a 1995 door switch.)

I do not see any wire color differences from all the other schematics nor do I see a different ground connection from all other schematics.

That grounding strap, however, apparently is not installed on my rig or is somewhere other than near the steps. I have just two ground wires from the Controller causing everything to work.

How is the ground connection used to control the door?

Tags
kwikee, switch