Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2021, 04:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
A different Parts Tech from Lippert, spent 1.5 hours on the phone with me as I was under the rig running tests and cutting wires.

Nathan was a confused as I was.

After doing some research, he concluded that control module that had been recommended for my steps was not appropriate.

So, I am getting a different module.

Nathan was patient, experienced and very helpful during the process.

I hope this begins to resolve the problem.

Thank you to all who replied to my quandary.
It'll be interesting to see if he sends the correct "old style" control and if it operates like your '95 model did (same as my '97). Once you install and check operation, if it is correct, please let us know the part# that you get for future conversations.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #30

Hopefully the new module does the trick. In the meanwhile, this may be/could have been of assistance. Looks like it was initially published in 2011 so may or may not help.

Step Control-Testing Procedure.pdf
Old 12-17-2021, 08:06 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Success, sort of:

My steps are now working normally....

I reinstalled my 26 year old step controller and all features work. Door Switch, Step Switch and Ignition override. (This controller previously stopped extending the steps with the door.)

After the Lippert Tech, Nathan's, assistance it was clear to me that he did not understand why the controller recommended by E-Trailer did not work.

He did not send me the Controller that he said he would to solve my frustrations.

So, I read in the manual, that some features of their controller would not work with poor ground connections. I burnished the grounding area with a wire wheel, and also the washers and mounting screw. Ohms tested at 0.00 for ground.

This provided no improvement for the New controller.

In a fit of frustration, I temporarily connected my old controller!!!

It now worked!

I guess the fresh grounds worked for the old unit but the new unit would not.

What a waste of $300 worth of parts that would not perform.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 05:01 AM   #32

Thats great news. Glad you got it working. So now you have the "Stay In" mode (mode that is not supposed to function) plus the "Stay Out" mode?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Thats great news. Glad you got it working. So now you have the "Stay In" mode (mode that is not supposed to function) plus the "Stay Out" mode?
Yes. I guess that "Stay In" mode is a good security feature if someone wants to force their way into the coach after opening the door. But, we have not needed it for the past 20.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:32 AM   #34

The LC379146 Controller (recommended by E-Trailer) did not fully work on my 1995 Series 42 Steps.

The controller did restore the movement of the steps with the door, which is the essential feature.

This was achieved without replacing the motor.

The Lippert Tech said a motor is a motor. So our motor should not need to be replaced if already working with the Controller. And replacement of the motor would not improve the performance of the new controller.

The Controller did not allow the Step Switch to hold the steps in an extended position.

So, the Ignition Override feature could not be tested with the new controller.

My Kwikee steps are moved by a large gear plate and extend on drawer type side mounted metal slides.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Yes. I guess that "Stay In" mode is a good security feature if someone wants to force their way into the coach after opening the door. But, we have not needed it for the past 20.
Yes but it is wise to remember that you have this mode in case you start up the coach with the step extended. I had some techs (TST) come over after the RV show ended to install my sensors. One of them asked me to air up the coach so he could reach the inside wheels - well when I started it the steps were sucked in. One of the sales people was inside our coach and it was dark when they were ready to leave. She sensed that the steps were not out. I stopped her, closed the door, flipped the switch to "follow mode" and then opened the door and all was fine. Otherwise it was a long first step.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #36

Updated step override switch?

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC369311.html

I just stumbled onto the above Step switch that purports to hold the steps extended when the Door is closed.

Perhaps this is the solution I would need if forced to use the New LC 379146 control module that I currently own.

The first Lippert Tech referenced it but did not direct me to this item.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Dean; pay attention to the note at the bottom of that page...

Note: Designed to replace rocker switches manufactured after 1999
Old 12-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Dean; pay attention to the note at the bottom of that page...

Note: Designed to replace rocker switches manufactured after 1999
Harry, that is a good catch.

However, Lippert claims no knowledge of anything Kwikee prior to 1999 so I do not know whether this is more CYA by them or a real concern.

$28 is not a costly experiment, if I even need to try.

I am not convinced that my old controller is invincible...
Old 12-19-2021, 07:36 AM   #39

Seems like I nailed it with my post but you ignored it.

"Second this system has a very limited set of parts that are involved in the control. The motor and the door switch are working perfectly. That leaves the controller or the on off switch that are left, literally nothing else. If the OP is confident the controller is good then that only leaves the door switch which can be checked with a multimeter at the plug to the controller. If the signal to the controller is good then the controller is not working.

One other thing to verify is that you have a good ground connection. Wouldn't think that would cause that symptom but a bad ground can sometimes cause strange things."
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Seems like I nailed it with my post but you ignored it.

"Second this system has a very limited set of parts that are involved in the control. The motor and the door switch are working perfectly. That leaves the controller or the on off switch that are left, literally nothing else. If the OP is confident the controller is good then that only leaves the door switch which can be checked with a multimeter at the plug to the controller. If the signal to the controller is good then the controller is not working.

One other thing to verify is that you have a good ground connection. Wouldn't think that would cause that symptom but a bad ground can sometimes cause strange things."
Your post presented nothing new to me. All had been checked, by me and once in a one hour phone discussion with a Lippert Tech.

I am sorry I did not give you attribution for your post.

I installed two controllers of the same model with different results. The first was defective on the step switch wire. Several hours were consumed with voltage tests.

I assumed the ground connection was good because all but one feature worked. But, in continually trying to make the new controller work, I did burnish the ground connection to .000 resistance. The new controller still did not work but My Old Controller did.

I agree with your conclusion that the new Controller, which was recommended by E-Trade, did not function correctly.

No other controller was recommended by E-Trade or Lippert Components.

What I am now looking for is a Controller that will work when I need it. Do you have a suggestion for another controller to use?

Thank you for your response.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #41

My take away from what you describe.

First the flaky ground was your original problem.

Second if you want to run a post 1999 controller you need to replace the on off switch. Presumably the on position of the switch provides a different behavior to the step controller. You should be able to verify this by checking the voltage at the 4 way connector by disconnecting it from the controller.

From what I remember the Kwikee troubleshooting guide tells you how to test the switch and controller. My guess is the old switch shorts the pin to ground or something that is different from the post 1999 switch. If you confirm a different behavior then the current parts and a new switch wired as Lippert specifies and you should be good
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #42

A good analysis, thank you.

My 1995 wiring schematic is identical to the current Kwikee manuals.

This old rig even had a NO door switch, which Kwikee/Lippert did not know. And it is white, which they say should be black.

The question you raise, is how to change the wired function of the White step switch wire?

I know the on/off SPST wall switch sends 12vdc down the white wire to the brain. I do not know what brain does with that voltage, or how to change it.

The end result of the new controller is the door can be held retracted by the step switch but not held extended. Hence the ignition override function is irrelevant.

I have switched the wire leads to the step switch to change the switch off to on, but as I expected, that made no difference.

How can I change the performance result of that white wire voltage that ends inside the brain?

Tags
kwikee, switch