Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
A good analysis, thank you.

My 1995 wiring schematic is identical to the current Kwikee manuals.

This old rig even had a NO door switch, which Kwikee/Lippert did not know. And it is white, which they say should be black.

The question you raise, is how to change the wired function of the White step switch wire?

I know the on/off SPST wall switch sends 12vdc down the white wire to the brain. I do not know what brain does with that voltage, or how to change it.

The end result of the new controller is the door can be held retracted by the step switch but not held extended. Hence the ignition override function is irrelevant.

I have switched the wire leads to the step switch to change the switch off to on, but as I expected, that made no difference.

How can I change the performance result of that white wire voltage that ends inside the brain?

Have you been using the troubleshooting guide? :https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com › ...PDF
Kwikee® IMGL Step Control Testing Procedure - Amazon AWS

Have you checked the output ofthe switch at the 4 way plug specially

"
2. To check the step lockout switch, connect a voltmeter between the white wire from the four-way
connector (vehicle half) and the terminal at the end of the control unit’s green ground wire (Fig. 5).
A. The reading should be a minimum of 12 volts DC with the switch in one position, and zero volts
DC with the switch in the opposite position."

My guess is it's not behaving as needed.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #44

The OEM Kwikee switch can be identified by color. However, my door switch is aftermarket; it replaced one that was *also* aftermarket, which failed (the only magnetic switch I have ever seen fail, as it happens). It's available in white, black, and brown, IIRC.

It's about whether the switch is NC or NO that matters, not what color it is.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Have you been using the troubleshooting guide? :https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com › ...PDF
Kwikee® IMGL Step Control Testing Procedure - Amazon AWS

Have you checked the output ofthe switch at the 4 way plug specially

"
2. To check the step lockout switch, connect a voltmeter between the white wire from the four-way
connector (vehicle half) and the terminal at the end of the control unit’s green ground wire (Fig. 5).
A. The reading should be a minimum of 12 volts DC with the switch in one position, and zero volts
DC with the switch in the opposite position."

My guess is it's not behaving as needed.
It has always tested for @ 12.47dcv except when the first new controller kept blowing the fuse......
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
The OEM Kwikee switch can be identified by color. However, my door switch is aftermarket; it replaced one that was *also* aftermarket, which failed (the only magnetic switch I have ever seen fail, as it happens). It's available in white, black, and brown, IIRC.

It's about whether the switch is NC or NO that matters, not what color it is.
A month ago, the switch was confirmed as NO (even though white) with the first new controller. The steps would follow the door and have also with the second controller.

E-Trailer is the source of the White is NC and Black is NO statement. and folks here echo that so I mentioned its.

Lots of people have suggest the door switch is wrong, but they ignore my response of the "steps follow the door"! Probably the result of not reading the entire thread, so I repeat myself.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #47

Quote:
It has always tested for @ 12.47dcv except when the first new controller kept blowing the fuse......
The only other thing on the switch is when it is off it seems like it should be floating, not connected to ground.

If all the controls to the step controller are correct then I don't see how the step controller isn't bad.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #48

Quote:
My steps are now working normally....

I reinstalled my 26 year old step controller and all features work. Door Switch, Step Switch and Ignition override. (This controller previously stopped extending the steps with the door.)

After the Lippert Tech, Nathan's, assistance it was clear to me that he did not understand why the controller recommended by E-Trailer did not work.

He did not send me the Controller that he said he would to solve my frustrations.

So, I read in the manual, that some features of their controller would not work with poor ground connections. I burnished the grounding area with a wire wheel, and also the washers and mounting screw. Ohms tested at 0.00 for ground.

This provided no improvement for the New controller.

In a fit of frustration, I temporarily connected my old controller!!!

It now worked!

I guess the fresh grounds worked for the old unit but the new unit would not.

What a waste of $300 worth of parts that would not perform.
I've been following this thread hoping for a better answer as I have the exact same issue on my 2003 CC Magna.

1) The step extends with opening of the door, and retract when door is closed (just as it should).
2) When I flip the "Step" switch next to the door, the step retracts and stays retracted. (should be the other way around)
3) It appears that someone (owner before me?) quit using the built in door switch and added a magnetic switch. Other work may have been performed by the previous owner (replaced controller, etc.).

What I'm doing for now - and don't necessarily recommend - is I mounted the magnetic portion of the mag-switch using Velcro. When I want the steps to stay out, I just remove the magnet. The steps extend and stay extended. While this works, it's not right and I'd love to get this issue resolved.

Any updates to this thread providing guidance would be greatly appreciated.

. . . but congratulations on getting yours working!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #49

vtwinwilly

Thank You for posting about your same problem.

I can now appreciate that my result is not unique!

I have to think that an IGML controller paired with an Igml Motor would work together.

But, I now do not have the patience or need to solve the problem.

Hope you find an acceptable solution.

I suspect your original controller has been replaced with a Kwikee IGML controller.

Lippert does sell step switches that use the magnetic door contact to interrupt the step travel. That seemed to me to be the only alternative for our problem when using their new controllers. So, you may already be using the best available tech.

One of the Techs called it an "updated step switch".

Tags
kwikee, switch