Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kwikee Steps don't Fully Retract

My Kwikee Steps do not fully retract on their own. If I "help" them as they are retracting, they fully close so I don't think anything is binding up. Looking for suggestions on what to look for and a possible fix.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My Kwikee Steps do not fully retract on their own. If I "help" them as they are retracting, they fully close so I don't think anything is binding up. Looking for suggestions on what to look for and a possible fix.
Hi UFO Pilot,

I have had the same problems with mine. I removed the pin that connects the mechanism, lubed all pivit points, worked back and forth by hand and replaced the connecting pin. No more problems. I have tried to contact Kwikee about their poorly enginered system, but unable to make contact. Any 10 year old kid should be able to see that the step needs some plastic or teflon bushings. We spend thewinter in south Tex, steps tend to rust at the pivot points. If all else fails I have a new (still in the box) electrical control system, but sounds like yours is working. good wishes, old trucker.
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Brake Problems' Has anybody had an Alpine problem with the brake pedal going straight to the floor with no resistance, and not be able tor pump up with a full master cylinder..Mine has done this twice on a 99 Alpine. old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is for sure just a lubrication problem. Kwikee makes a product for lubricating the steps - Kwikee Kwik Lube. Here is a Kwikee Steps Service Tips that shows what points to lubricate.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #5

Commercial Member

The real secret to Kwikee Steps is clearly printed in all their manuals and serviced tips:

"lubricate every 30 days"

and they mean it, too!

Because the electric steps are usually very close behind the right front tire, everything you drive through - water, sand, dirt, gravel, mud, etc, - is kicked up against the step pivot points, causing immediate corrosive action. And the corrosion problem is just as bad when the RV sits for long periods of time with the steps out, too.

Other important equipments needing regular lubricating: Leveling Jacks (monthly), Wingard antenna gears (semi-annually), and exposed roller bearings on slides (semi-annually).

Nothing on an RV is maintenance free!!!!!!!
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
in the past if my batteries were low the steps wouldn't retract all the way, make sure your batteries are charged, then lube anyway.
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

I had defective Kwikee power steps on my Winnebago Access 31c a few years ago. The steps didn't operate properly and constantly drew power off the chassis battery, destroying it within 2 years. Even General RV couldn't contact Kwikee tech support for assistance. If your Kwikee steps are defective, it may be a great opportunity to buy a higher quality product.
RustyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have lubed and lubed and everything seems to be free. The batteries appear to be full charged but I will check when the rain stops.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee