Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2023, 08:14 AM   #1

Kwikee steps gets power, won't retract

Working fine for 200 mile drive yesterday for some maintenance work, probably ~ 15 times in/out. Perfect.
I park it and they won't retract. I can hear the click when I close the door, so I know it's getting power to them. but doesn't budge.

Note: it's done this intermittently for about a year and just magically starts working. Lubricating hasn't helped, nor the hammer tap solution.

When it stops raining here, only thing I know to do is check the wires and connections, as I assume the solenoid is getting power (the click?), but it's not getting power to the motor.

Am I on track, or should I be looking elsewhere?
Pre-emptive thanks!!!
Kingfish54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish54 View Post
Working fine for 200 mile drive yesterday for some maintenance work, probably ~ 15 times in/out. Perfect.
I park it and they won't retract. I can hear the click when I close the door, so I know it's getting power to them. but doesn't budge.

Note: it's done this intermittently for about a year and just magically starts working. Lubricating hasn't helped, nor the hammer tap solution.

When it stops raining here, only thing I know to do is check the wires and connections, as I assume the solenoid is getting power (the click?), but it's not getting power to the motor.

Am I on track, or should I be looking elsewhere?
Pre-emptive thanks!!!
Kwikee is part of Lippert. Lippert website has lots of tech support info. You can also call or email them for tech support.

I just exchanged emails with them about an issue I was having and was very pleased with the response. They told me what I needed in the way of a part and provided a link to their e-commerce section to order. All very efficient.

Sure, you can buy parts cheaper on Amazon. I prefer to award good customer support so I ordered my part from Lippert.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:25 AM   #3

It’s probably the motor, pull it and check it with battery charger, if runs its good. If not you can get one off Amazon. Reverse polarity and motor runs in reverse.

If the amber light is on when door open the controller is getting power and switch is good. if motor good and light on it’s probably the controller. Can get new one on Amazon also.

And check connections for corrosion especially the 2 ground wires.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:36 PM   #4

I'm having the same issue, perhaps rain-related. Steps were working fine several weeks ago, but since then we've had two weeks of wind and rain here (It's stored in my backyard) and now the steps won't retract. Previously, it happened a couple times, but unplugging and cleaning the motor connector fixed it, but not now.

I redid the main ground. which was a bit rusty, and the small ground wire from the "brain". When I disconnected the motor and main connectors, water was in the plastic sleeves. Let that drain, cleaned the connectors with CRC, and they look clean. Still nothing. I just removed the door switch and magnet, bench tested them, and they work. Reinstalled them with new butt connectors, still nothing.

Steps are free to move, lubed at all points, and the 3 fuses test good as well. Now I'm stumped. Reading the replies to the OP, I guess I should remove the motor and bench test it. I'll do that tomorrow. It's got to be either the motor, or "brain", which may have been soaked. From what I understand, the motor is just a power window assembly, that NAPA carries. I keep the steps down while stored. If they'd been up, there would have been better protection from rain blowing in. Lesson learned.

BTW, are any of the less expensive "random letter" Chinese brand controllers good, or best to stick to Lippert?
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Might check to see if the motor brushes are hanging up and not seating.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
Might check to see if the motor brushes are hanging up and not seating.
I saw a video that mentioned tapping the motor to see if that seats them, but it didn't work. Before I remove it, I'll disconnect the pivot pin, then try again.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:44 AM   #7

The motor is shot. Removed it and tested, and nothing. The rubber gasket inside the connector was also damaged. Just ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FRXN7N1...hk_typ_imgToDp

Took the motor apart, and one brush is stuck (top one). Even after cleaning it, the spring won't push it down. This motor is over 12 years old, so it's LONG overdue to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Brushes.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	389425  
Old 04-02-2023, 12:03 PM   #8

My experience the motors only last 3 -5 years. I've replaced mine 3 times in 15 years.

Last fall I replaced both the controller and motor. Alot cheaper to do it yourself than bring it in to the dealer.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
My experience the motors only last 3 -5 years. I've replaced mine 3 times in 15 years.

Last fall I replaced both the controller and motor. Alot cheaper to do it yourself than bring it in to the dealer.
Our 1999 Kwikee model 32 step still works great, and it's all original. I assume you lubricate your steps monthly per Kwikee recommendation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Our 1999 Kwikee model 32 step still works great, and it's all original. I assume you lubricate your steps monthly per Kwikee recommendation.

They definitely don’t make them like they used too ..
Old 04-02-2023, 07:42 PM   #11

Before I tossed the old unit I opened the gearbox, and it was very crusty. However, the plastic gear cleaned up and is in great shape, so I'll keep it as a spare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gear.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	580.2 KB
ID:	389477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	867.7 KB
ID:	389478  

Old 04-03-2023, 10:45 AM   #12

That $36 motor from Amazon arrived this morning at 6 AM. Looks like a quality product, so I installed it, and it's working! Also is a bit quieter than the original.

It came with bolts about 3/8" longer than the originals, so I used the old ones. They may have worked, but I didn't want to risk cracking the housing.

One more note: I just realized that the red rubber gasket, that was broken and inside the motor receptacle, was originally on the plug. That may have been part of the reason the old motor wasn't working... it may have been impeding the plug from fully contacting the pins. Just something to check for. It should be on the plug, and if not, dig it out of the receptacle. I'll post a pic of it stuffed inside the receptacle.

In any case, problem solved! BTW, make sure not to lose the locator pin that goes in the center of the gear, and the 2 spacer washers that go underneath. I've heard of folks not realizing that pin fell out, and it helps keep the gear in firmly place. It fits into a boss/hole in the housing when you mount the motor. Just watch carefully when you remove the old motor, because if you turn it over, the gear, pin and washers will fall off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Motor.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	389519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Gasket.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	615.7 KB
ID:	389520  

Old 04-03-2023, 01:49 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can't find anything wrong electrically... My steps got stuck in the out position. Removed the pin. Found they were going out too far. Thinner pin and adjusted the 2 stops so it does not go out too far.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Lubricate what monthly?

Looked at my SCS/Frigette Coach Step Owners Manual and the only lubrication mentioned is silicone spray on the step bushings under extreme conditions otherwise it requires no lubrication according to the manual.

I occasionally spray the pivot teeth with dry silicon with Teflon and this coats the motor gears. Not in the manual but it can't hurt.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, power, steps