Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2021, 08:09 PM   #1

Kwikee Steps Intermittent Operation - Boy This is frustrating

My steps seem to work intermittently. I changed the controller...no help. Changed the motor...sounded much smoother, but no help. All grounds are good as I ensured this when I replaced the controller. The steps move in and out freely with the motor disconnected so there is no binding. Not sure where to go next. I plan on splicing in a connector to measure for the 12V at the motor when I catch it doing this (failing to extend or retract). Seems to fail once I let it sit overnight or for a few hours on the road....it always starts working after a delay of 1 - 5 minutes!? I did repalce the coach batteries a few months ago...they are fully charged....I am thinking I have a voltage or some other peculiar issue. I have yet to test the door switch thoroughly...I am a teckeee so I can do just about anything....retire engineer etc....
swonuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

Check the ground on the engine battery. Step control is tied to the ignition.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:45 AM   #3

If it were the engine ground then it would show up elsewhere too. No problems with any chassis loads.
swonuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #4

Maybe pull the step switch by the door and by-pass to check. Mine was good-bad-good bad, just plain BAD. Cured my issues, after chasing it around. Was hard to find being intermittent.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #5

When we purchased our old coach the steps worked and then all of a sudden they didn't anymore. Long story short I was in the Electrical bay and was poking around in the big group of wiring leaving/entering the bay and found a big green wire that had pulled out of a butt connector. I pushed the wire back in and the step retracted. I replaced the butt connector with a butt connector that had glue and heat shrink and the steps have been trouble free since that day back in 2016. I looked in my owners guide
to the wiring color guide and none of the green wiring in the legend made sense, so who know....

IMO, I will say that there are 3 common trouble questions in this forum Kwikee steps, HWH (and other brands) jacks and water heaters. So a search using the google search box up top will provide you a lot of answers.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #6

I had issues with intermittent function of steps
I realized that the prior owner had driven with steps open which slightly bent the mount
the steps were binding against a metal piece
I bent it all back straight and it seemed to work normally
Recently it has functioned intermittently
I read that the motor brushes get caked with carbon as the brushes wear and the motor has less power
I replaced the motor this weekend
When I replaced the motor, I removed the pin/cotter pin - the mechanism was excessively tight
it seemed to work normally after replacing the motor but I want to go back & relieve some of the tension on the mechanism ... I assume it was again related to driving it with the steps down
I also noticed the door magnet lower screw was loose. I assume if the magnet isn't aligned properly it might not operate reliably ... so I remounted.
I plan to add a limit switch & a light at the dash to ensure i don't drive with the steps down.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
I plan to add a limit switch & a light at the dash to ensure i don't drive with the steps down.
If out, your steps should retract when you turn the key to ON - you should hear them retract if/when they do, from the drivers seat. I have a mid entry door and can hear the steps close.
Do you really need a lamp?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #8

I can sympathize for sure! I bumped along with our steps until I thought I’d go nuts. Kwikee has a troubleshooting chart that you can use along with a “test” cable that you connect to a separate battery and thereby determine if what’s bad is in the step assembly or in your chassis. I found it helpful. Last time I had an intermittent issue (sounds similar to your issue), the problem turned out to be one of the wires going to the magnetic door switch had a raw spot where the insulation was damaged by one of the screws that holds the inside door trim. I’m sure I caused that somewhere in the past! You might try wiggling the door trim and see if steps do anything that they shouldn’t .
pbpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, rust, steps