RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Kwikee steps magnet issue

I believe my steps need a new magnet setup. Since it is 2001 MH, is the door magnetic switch normally open or normally closed?

Kwikee has been owned by Power Gear and then Lippert I believe since my MH was made so there is a lot of confusion regarding Kwikee parts and part numbers. The magnets are about 3/8" round.

The steps are pre IMGL version. If there is no magnet (door open) and the ign is on, the step is extended. Is that NO or NC? Any sources for this item?

Thanks.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #2

Perhaps the Kwikee service training manual will be useful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:58 PM   #3

The IMGL switch is normally open. Steps manufactured before 2/99 might require a nomally closed switch. Depending on the build date of your coach, and when the manufacturer ordered the step, you might be OK...or not. They're not expensive, but you will need the right one.

Kwikee says the NO ones are black and the NC ones are white, but our NO one is white. Perhaps someone bought a window switch for a burglar alarm (maybe even Tiffin!).
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:34 PM   #4

When the ignition is turned on, I think there is an override that pulls the step in if the door is closed even if the rocker switch is set to leave them out. I have forgotten the exact operating sequences but you can find them online. If the magnetic switch fails to open them, the rocker switch will open them.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBr View Post
When the ignition is turned on, I think there is an override that pulls the step in if the door is closed even if the rocker switch is set to leave them out. I have forgotten the exact operating sequences but you can find them online. If the magnetic switch fails to open them, the rocker switch will open them.
The operating mode changed with IMGL. Kwikee says:

----
With the new IMGL and Control Unit logic:

WHEN THE OVERRIDE SWITCH IS ‘ON’
THE STEP IS LOCKED IN THE
EXTENDED POSITION

IF THE IGNITION
IS TURNED ‘ON’
(WHETHER THE
OVERRIDE SWITCH
IS ‘ON’ OR ‘OFF)
THE STEP WILL FOLLOW THE DOOR
Door Open = Step Extended
Door Closed = Step Retracted
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:30 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update

I am ordering part no. 905327000 from Amazon. The IMGL manual noted in above reply says it is NO and can be used with pre IMGL 909506000 controls which I have. So we will see if it works. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Just as an FYI. I recently bought a 2004 Triple-E and the steps worked fine when I bought it but stopped retracting after I cleaned it.

Turned out I had inadvertently pushed the magnet in the door flush when cleaning and when I pulled it out a bit, all was well again.

I tested the magnetic switch itself by using the magnetic butt of a flashlight I had. That's how I figured out it had to be a magnet related issue since the steps retracted instantly when I held the flashlights magnet to the frame.

Just a thought...
RDuval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are some other good resources from a similar post on this forum:

https://support.lci1.com/kwikee-steps
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exteri...svc_manual.pdf
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDuval View Post
Just as an FYI. I recently bought a 2004 Triple-E and the steps worked fine when I bought it but stopped retracting after I cleaned it.

Turned out I had inadvertently pushed the magnet in the door flush when cleaning and when I pulled it out a bit, all was well again.

I tested the magnetic switch itself by using the magnetic butt of a flashlight I had. That's how I figured out it had to be a magnet related issue since the steps retracted instantly when I held the flashlights magnet to the frame.

Just a thought...
The magnet seems to work but the reed switch I think is the problem.

Tags
kwikee, steps