Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphl View Post
I want to thank everybody for their responses. I really appreciate that so many people responded.
Just a little update on what I have tried. After installing the new controller and found things reversed, I cut the red and yellow wires from the controller to the motor and soldered "red to yellow" and "yellow to red" thinking this would reverse the step extending and retracting. It did NOT. Everything remained reversed. Next I changed the door switch from black (normally closed) to white (normally open) and left the motor wires reversed. This changed the behavior of the steps with respect to the door switch, just like you would think it would. However, step behavior with regard to "power switch" and the ignition switch were still backwards. When I turned off the ignition and opened the door, the step did not extend.
At this point I again cut the red and yellow wires going from the controller to the motor, and re-soldered them as they were originally: red to red, yellow to yellow. Still no joy.
Talked to Ken Waite about a harness he sold about 10 years ago. Also, sent him an email describing the problem. He said he would look if he still had the harnesses, but he was unsure that they would fix the problem.

Talked to both e-trailer and lippert and all they would say is that I needed to buy the $400 LC379804 conversion kit. Wouldn't tell me what was special in the conversion kit that made things work correctly. Maybe they didn't know.

Right now I am studying Kwikee Service Training Manual the Ray, IN sent me. Thank you, Ray. If that doesn't work I will shell out the $400+ for the conversion kit.
On mine, like yours, I have a switch that I change for the steps to follow the door and change to have the steps stay out. Everyone has this function. Everyone also has the function that if you turn the ignition key to "ON" an extended set of steps is retracted. Most of the newer controllers always follow the door. Where mine is different is if my steps are out and I turn the ignition to on they retract like all others but if I still have the switch where it was to leave the steps out, when I open the door, the steps don't come out.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #16

My old motor stripped the gears and i shelled out the $$$ for the new assembly, its all new design motor and gears, works great and its the same controller. I donít understand why yours is reversed, i bought the new controller with my old motor and it worked fine until the gears stripped.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #17

Amazon sells the step conversion kit for 289 dollars or did when I bought mine about 3 months ago.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:47 PM   #18

I gave up trying to haywire things. I bought the series 25 conversion kit from eTrailer for $437. Will report back after I get it and install it.
ChasL: You got a really good deal. I looked on Amazon and couldn't find my needed part number LC 379804. I did find two listed on ebay, one as low as $343 (tax must be added), but it was open box and somebody had "played" with it. Also, since I previously bought what I think are the correct controller and door switch from eTrailer, I am going to try to return those 2 items, from the kit, to eTrailer. Hence, I paid more to get it from eTrailer. Will see if I am successful in the return.
Ralph
ralphl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:51 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
So why don't you go back to where you started and everything was just working backwards and swap the leads to the motor? Too simple?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #20

Sounds like you have a new motor and a old door switch which makes it backwards.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Did you ever find out what the problem or fix was for your problem?
Old 04-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #22

Just to update everybody who replied and anybody else that has this problem. I have found the failing component, AND IT IS I. Several of you had the right solution, but I didn't understand how things really worked. And in fact, I had the right solution at one point, and didn't understand that I had the right solution.

The thing I didn't understand was that the function of the step switch (that drives the white wire coming into the step controller) was reversed with the new controller. On the old controller setting the step switch to OFF caused the step to stay out, even when the door was closed. Setting it to ON (energizing the white wire) caused the step to retract, when the door was closed and extend when the door was opened. With the new controller setting the step switch to ON causes the step to stay extended, when the door is closed, and setting to OFF causes the step to follow the door.

So the solution was simple as several of you recommended, "Just reverse the leads to the motor, AND remember that the step switch use is also reversed. Kevin Waite has a reversal "jumper" you can buy to do this, but I just cut the wires from the controller to the motor and re-soldered them "red to yellow", "yellow to red". Incidentally my soldering skills using a wood block sitting on the MH steps improved remarkably during all this "reversing" and "un-reversing" of wires.

There was no need for a new white (normally open) door switch. I had to reinstall the old black (normally closed) one. There was no need for the new $400+ Lippert Conversion Kit. I am sending it back. I did have to find a new location for the new step controller, since it physically was different and didn't fit where the old one was. But there is plenty of room under there. I did have to drill a new hole in the plastic flange of the new controller and through the metal step, but this wasn't hard.

So thanks to everybody who replied. I was just too dumb to understand the correct solution, when it was recommended.

Ralph
ralphl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Reaching a satisfactory solution is always Good.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Don't worry, we all have banged our head against the wall after we found a simple solution to a problem.

Now that your wiring and soldering skills are sharpened up, you can install a light in your step well and hook it up to the orange light outside under your steps.

Did that to our rig and it's one of those things you do that you always wonder why you didn't do it before.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #25

Flip the motor cover.

Had the same problem on a Bounder, I didn't change the motor or the door switch. I just cleaned up the brushes on the motor and when I tried to operate it, it was running in reverse. My girlfriend mentioned that the cover to the motor was opposite from how it originally was but I didn't think it could have been the issue. Well, lo and behold that's exactly what it was. The power to operate the motor goes to the magnets on the cover, so when I flipped the cover of the motor it worked like it should. But be careful removing it, because it can pull out the whole mechanism removing the springs and brushes. Believe me I found that out.
JYNM11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYNM11 View Post
Had the same problem on a Bounder, I didn't change the motor or the door switch. I just cleaned up the brushes on the motor and when I tried to operate it, it was running in reverse. My girlfriend mentioned that the cover to the motor was opposite from how it originally was but I didn't think it could have been the issue. Well, lo and behold that's exactly what it was. The power to operate the motor goes to the magnets on the cover, so when I flipped the cover of the motor it worked like it should. But be careful removing it, because it can pull out the whole mechanism removing the springs and brushes. Believe me I found that out.
Yep, same thing. Bought a new motor on mine, no change in switches or wiring. Installed motor and bam, steps going in reverse. I tried all combinations of power on and off to reset controller. No use. I took off motor cover and rotated the motor cover 180 deg (it seems to have magnets) and YEP, worked fine after that. Strange. By the way....gear replacement kit was $27 on ebay (my plastic gear was broken) but entire new motor was only $35 so I bought entire new motor.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps