Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I didn't say you were wrong, did I?
Nope you didn't. My bad, I was wrong to quote you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #16

I'm just curious but it seems to me that using plastic fittings may also leach bad chemi's into the water especially if they are sold in garden departments of hardware stores. Garden plastic fittings may be as bad as brass.

How about hose fittings (wyes or connectors, etc) fittings that are marked for potable water? Of course those in plumbing supply stores may also be brass. Home faucets may have brass and I know that there are brass connectors used to connect galv pipe to copper to prevent electrolysis.

My original thought was that since the brass wye (or other brass fitting) was such a small length of exposure for the water to pass thru that any lead in the brass would not really leach that much into the water passing thru (or standing there for hours when water in not running). But then I thought about the use of lead solder to connect copper pipe - it is a small amount for each connection that is exposed to water but by the time there are several connections in the path of the pipe to the point of using that it all adds up. I think that I am on the verge of being accused of comparing apples to oranges.

Lee
Old 01-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #17

Methinks the OP is overly concerned with the danger of lead in a brass hose fitting.

For the first 18 years of my life I lived in my parent's house... where every drop of water used in the house flowed through a lead pipe from the city water main into the house.

BTW...today, (57 years later), that same house still gets all of its water through that same 100+ foot long 3/4 inch ID lead pipe.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps66 View Post
Attachment 116039Attachment 116039. I found at ACE. Plastic and brass. Have had for about 2 years. Works great. I like the BIG LEAVERS.

I like those! I'll stop by an Ace Hardware and check them out! Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Methinks the OP is overly concerned with the danger of lead in a brass hose fitting.

For the first 18 years of my life I lived in my parent's house... where every drop of water used in the house flowed through a lead pipe from the city water main into the house.

BTW...today, (57 years later), that same house still gets all of its water through that same 100+ foot long 3/4 inch ID lead pipe.

Mel
'96 Safari

Mel, now we know what's wrong with you!

BTW, I grew up with those lead pipes too!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #20

FWIW Methinks he has lost perspective over the problem. Brass needs some lead to be reasonably machinable. The net result is that the water system is full of brass fittings and instrumentation often with more brass is currently in use. I would watch for Chinese brass only because they worry less than we do.

The lawyers and the plastic business get a field day. The plastic leaches out other chemicals with as great or greater problems (BPA as an example). As the Kingston Trio pointed out years ago, don't drink the water and don't breathe the air. Then we will be fine. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps66 View Post
Attachment 116039Attachment 116039. I found at ACE. Plastic and brass. Have had for about 2 years. Works great. I like the BIG LEAVERS.

I checked the Ace website and don't find those. The one below is the closest thing to it. Are you sure you got it at Ace?

Ace 2 way Poly Y-Hose Connector with Shut Offs (336A-N) - Couplings / Repair Parts - Ace Hardware
Old 01-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gents,
For some years now, I have a Watts Brass Lead Free Adjustable Regulator in my hard line set up. I need to change out a few of my Y’s, so I was looking for replacements using material that is safe from harmful elements.

Does anyone know or where to go to possibly get some stainless steel Y’s since lead free brass is hard to find?

Thanks Again to all who sent feedback and ideas……….
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
I found this one on Amazon and it says it is made from a Zinc allot lead free material. Amazon.com : ****Improved Design****Lifetime Warranty! Comfort Grip 2 Way Hose Connector. New Improved Design for August 2015 to Ensure No Breaking or Leaking! Exclusive New and Improved Design is on Leaf HD Products Only. |Bonus: Free Add-on: 3 Rubb There were a couple of others that look almost identical but this one is the only one that said lead free.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #24

Need to read the warning labels on plastic stuff too.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I found this one on Amazon and it says it is made from a Zinc allot lead free material. Amazon.com : ****Improved Design****Lifetime Warranty! Comfort Grip 2 Way Hose Connector. New Improved Design for August 2015 to Ensure No Breaking or Leaking! Exclusive New and Improved Design is on Leaf HD Products Only. |Bonus: Free Add-on: 3 Rubb There were a couple of others that look almost identical but this one is the only one that said lead free.
Thanks dabrooks, just what I was looking for........
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Need to read the warning labels on plastic stuff too.
Yup, most of these products are made off-shore. I wonder how many put plastic containers in their microwave oven without any concerns, yet have a valid concern about their water hose and fittings?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
I find it amusing that people are so concerned about a simple brass or plastic Y hose connection. If you only knew the makeup of all the underground water supply piping you would think twice about using domestic water supply sources at all.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:46 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I find it amusing that people are so concerned about a simple brass or plastic Y hose connection. If you only knew the makeup of all the underground water supply piping you would think twice about using domestic water supply sources at all.

Sammie
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water