Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 273
Leak around toilet base

I put in a new Dometic 310 about a year ago. This last trip it started leaking around the base (very small leak). I can't believe the seal has actually gone bad. I hit a huge bump on the way to park and I'm wondering if I just need to pull up the toilet, clean the seal/toilet/flange, and re-seat? If a new seal was cheap and available, I'd just buy one. But at $30, it's a little hard to justify when the one I have is only a year old...
__________________
2019 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6.6L Duramax CC SB
2016 Palomino Solaire 267BHSE
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 253
You have to pull the toilet though. 30.00 in one year is better than a wet floor. Itís 30 bucks.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 19,493
Bet it isn't the floor flange seal leaking...they are foam rubber
Did you check that the hold down bolts were SNUG?

Bet the leak is from the bowl to base connection

Dometic 300 series have that issue
Call Dometic and talk to them...they have been known to replace for FREE
800-544-4881
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Bet it isn't the floor flange seal leaking...they are foam rubber
Did you check that the hold down bolts were SNUG?

Bet the leak is from the bowl to base connection

Dometic 300 series have that issue
Call Dometic and talk to them...they have been known to replace for FREE
800-544-4881
I will check the hold down bolts. Thank you!
__________________
2019 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6.6L Duramax CC SB
2016 Palomino Solaire 267BHSE
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
I put in a new Dometic 310 about a year ago. This last trip it started leaking around the base (very small leak). I can't believe the seal has actually gone bad. I hit a huge bump on the way to park and I'm wondering if I just need to pull up the toilet, clean the seal/toilet/flange, and re-seat? If a new seal was cheap and available, I'd just buy one. But at $30, it's a little hard to justify when the one I have is only a year old...
I also have a 310 that I put in our TT to replace the original Model 300. It's likely not the floor seal, since material drops straight down - the only way you'd get anything there is if the black tank overflows and backs up.

I did experience a failed valve. That causes small amounts of water to appear around the base. There's also a fixture up at the back of the toilet that can leak, can't remember what it's called. These 2 leak 'clean' water.

Third and least likely as I understand it is the seal between the bowl and the base. Problems there would be giving you odor issues - leaks here are used "material" you've put in the bowl.

IMHO a lot of valve failures are the result of poor winterizing. If you don't get "pink" in there, or blow your water lines out thoroughly, remaining water can freeze in the valve over winter, and crack it. Dometic says they won't warrant the valve if it fails due to poor winterizing.

Good luck!!

Roger
__________________
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 19,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I also have a 310 that I put in our TT to replace the original Model 300. It's likely not the floor seal, since material drops straight down - the only way you'd get anything there is if the black tank overflows and backs up.

I did experience a failed valve. That causes small amounts of water to appear around the base. There's also a fixture up at the back of the toilet that can leak, can't remember what it's called. These 2 leak 'clean' water.

Third and least likely as I understand it is the seal between the bowl and the base. Problems there would be giving you odor issues - leaks here are used "material" you've put in the bowl.

IMHO a lot of valve failures are the result of poor winterizing. If you don't get "pink" in there, or blow your water lines out thoroughly, remaining water can freeze in the valve over winter, and crack it. Dometic says they won't warrant the valve if it fails due to poor winterizing.

Good luck!!

Roger
That would be the Vacuum Breaker
Water flows from inlet/supply valve up into the Vacuum Breaker and then into toilet bowl when flushing

Small opening at top closes or a flapper covers the opening when water pressure comes in...then opens/drains when water pressure stops
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 273
Ok, so probably the water valve or the bowl/base interface....

I'm not understanding where the vacuum breaker is or how to test it.
__________________
2019 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6.6L Duramax CC SB
2016 Palomino Solaire 267BHSE
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:26 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
Ok, so probably the water valve or the bowl/base interface....

I'm not understanding where the vacuum breaker is or how to test it.
See the part #2 on this drawing:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-e5df...ilet-smart.gif

Also, here's the manual on that toilet. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=11#manual
__________________
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
F4Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 4,141
If you are going to replace the bowl to base seal, make sure you get the newer one piece seal. It is much better than the old two piece seals.
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing a 2017 Ford Edge Sport
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 273
Ok, checked the hold down bolts and they're tight. No idea how to check the valve and other part...just pull them out and turn on the water and see if they leak?
__________________
2019 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6.6L Duramax CC SB
2016 Palomino Solaire 267BHSE
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
Ok, checked the hold down bolts and they're tight. No idea how to check the valve and other part...just pull them out and turn on the water and see if they leak?
I haven't dealt with the vacuum breaker yet, but the flush valve is pretty obvious - you'll get some drips of water at the bottom of the valve when you flush. Operate the pedal several times, and run your fingers under the valve. If it's wet, you'll know that's your problem.

Based on the position of the vacuum breaker at the top of the toilet, at the rear, I would *expect* you to find some water running down the back of the toilet if the vacuum breaker is bad. But have not experienced this myself. Old-Biscuit will be more help on this.

Good luck!

Roger
__________________
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: De
Posts: 307
Like said above vacuum break valve and it can be changed without removing toilet $20. fix.
Wrapped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #13
Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 95
Dometic 300 series toilet leak (repair video)

Watch this YouTube video on how to repair a Dometic toilet leak around the base. This video helped me to repair my Dometic 300 series toilet: Good luck!

https://youtu.be/71squwXaGNU
Mjw2347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak, toilet



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caulk around base of toilet? Bug Juice RV Systems & Appliances 9 05-09-2020 10:59 PM
2016 Ford E450 Four Winds- Converting factory base seat to Swivel base roboleto Class C Motorhome Discussions 6 07-01-2018 09:58 PM
Recommendations for Gravel Base on existing stone base. mikeannetta Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 04-18-2017 10:20 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.