Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

Leak around toilet base

I put in a new Dometic 310 about a year ago. This last trip it started leaking around the base (very small leak). I can't believe the seal has actually gone bad. I hit a huge bump on the way to park and I'm wondering if I just need to pull up the toilet, clean the seal/toilet/flange, and re-seat? If a new seal was cheap and available, I'd just buy one. But at $30, it's a little hard to justify when the one I have is only a year old...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #2

You have to pull the toilet though. 30.00 in one year is better than a wet floor. Itís 30 bucks.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

Bet it isn't the floor flange seal leaking...they are foam rubber
Did you check that the hold down bolts were SNUG?

Bet the leak is from the bowl to base connection

Dometic 300 series have that issue
Call Dometic and talk to them...they have been known to replace for FREE
800-544-4881
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Bet it isn't the floor flange seal leaking...they are foam rubber
Did you check that the hold down bolts were SNUG?

Bet the leak is from the bowl to base connection

Dometic 300 series have that issue
Call Dometic and talk to them...they have been known to replace for FREE
800-544-4881
I will check the hold down bolts. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2021, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
I put in a new Dometic 310 about a year ago. This last trip it started leaking around the base (very small leak). I can't believe the seal has actually gone bad. I hit a huge bump on the way to park and I'm wondering if I just need to pull up the toilet, clean the seal/toilet/flange, and re-seat? If a new seal was cheap and available, I'd just buy one. But at $30, it's a little hard to justify when the one I have is only a year old...
I also have a 310 that I put in our TT to replace the original Model 300. It's likely not the floor seal, since material drops straight down - the only way you'd get anything there is if the black tank overflows and backs up.

I did experience a failed valve. That causes small amounts of water to appear around the base. There's also a fixture up at the back of the toilet that can leak, can't remember what it's called. These 2 leak 'clean' water.

Third and least likely as I understand it is the seal between the bowl and the base. Problems there would be giving you odor issues - leaks here are used "material" you've put in the bowl.

IMHO a lot of valve failures are the result of poor winterizing. If you don't get "pink" in there, or blow your water lines out thoroughly, remaining water can freeze in the valve over winter, and crack it. Dometic says they won't warrant the valve if it fails due to poor winterizing.

Good luck!!

Roger
Old 03-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I also have a 310 that I put in our TT to replace the original Model 300. It's likely not the floor seal, since material drops straight down - the only way you'd get anything there is if the black tank overflows and backs up.

I did experience a failed valve. That causes small amounts of water to appear around the base. There's also a fixture up at the back of the toilet that can leak, can't remember what it's called. These 2 leak 'clean' water.

Third and least likely as I understand it is the seal between the bowl and the base. Problems there would be giving you odor issues - leaks here are used "material" you've put in the bowl.

IMHO a lot of valve failures are the result of poor winterizing. If you don't get "pink" in there, or blow your water lines out thoroughly, remaining water can freeze in the valve over winter, and crack it. Dometic says they won't warrant the valve if it fails due to poor winterizing.

Good luck!!

Roger
That would be the Vacuum Breaker
Water flows from inlet/supply valve up into the Vacuum Breaker and then into toilet bowl when flushing

Small opening at top closes or a flapper covers the opening when water pressure comes in...then opens/drains when water pressure stops
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #7

Ok, so probably the water valve or the bowl/base interface....

I'm not understanding where the vacuum breaker is or how to test it.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Ok, so probably the water valve or the bowl/base interface....

I'm not understanding where the vacuum breaker is or how to test it.
See the part #2 on this drawing:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-e5df...ilet-smart.gif

Also, here's the manual on that toilet. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=11#manual
Old 03-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #9

If you are going to replace the bowl to base seal, make sure you get the newer one piece seal. It is much better than the old two piece seals.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #10

Ok, checked the hold down bolts and they're tight. No idea how to check the valve and other part...just pull them out and turn on the water and see if they leak?
Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok, checked the hold down bolts and they're tight. No idea how to check the valve and other part...just pull them out and turn on the water and see if they leak?
I haven't dealt with the vacuum breaker yet, but the flush valve is pretty obvious - you'll get some drips of water at the bottom of the valve when you flush. Operate the pedal several times, and run your fingers under the valve. If it's wet, you'll know that's your problem.

Based on the position of the vacuum breaker at the top of the toilet, at the rear, I would *expect* you to find some water running down the back of the toilet if the vacuum breaker is bad. But have not experienced this myself. Old-Biscuit will be more help on this.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 03-25-2021, 09:30 AM   #12

Like said above vacuum break valve and it can be changed without removing toilet $20. fix.
Wrapped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Dometic 300 series toilet leak (repair video)

Watch this YouTube video on how to repair a Dometic toilet leak around the base. This video helped me to repair my Dometic 300 series toilet: Good luck!

https://youtu.be/71squwXaGNU
Mjw2347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, toilet