Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Leak discovered 2005 Monaco Knight 4 door Norcold

When my wife first noticed it the water was coming out in very steady drips.. We checked level and checked the icemaker compartment--frost seen at rear and bale down. Only a few chunks of ice, frost seen at back of compartment. Took the lower wooden vent off and found the leak was coming through gaps in the wood framing at the bottom left side. I turned off the icemaker and will check it soon. Ideas are welcome
Rickndebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Turned off water supply to ice maker and lifted bale.. Seems the drip has stopped. What now?
Old 12-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
paz

It sounds like the water line from the solenoid up to the ice maker has a leak in it. Age has probably caused the water line to crack. You will have to pull the fridge out from the wall to gain access.

Before you pull the fridge out, however, check the water tray under the cooling coils in the refrigerator section. It could be full to overflowing. If it's full, the drain tube that runs down the back of the fridge is clogged. Pull off the cover outside. The end of the drain tube should be in a little tray under the boiler. There is a one-way drain plug in the end of the tube that is supposed to let water out but keep air and bugs from getting in. Remove the plug (point the tube away from your self when you do that or you WILL get wet), carefully clean and replace the plug.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickndebw View Post
Turned off water supply to ice maker and lifted bale.. Seems the drip has stopped. What now?
I went through the same thing year back. When new, they use a cheap 1/4" plastic tubing for the ice maker run........the heat from the fridge over the years makes it brittle and then it starts to leak. I had to pull the fridge out onto a stand I made to get to it and do a proper job. Bought pex tubing for the replacement, and insulated it good to protect it from the coils heat.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you everyone. The bleak has dried up with the ice maker line valve turned off. A few more questions please?
1) if I want to do without an icemaker for awhile until I can get it professionally fixed, can I just leave the ice maker bale up thus turning it off or should I unplug it?
2) how hard is it to remove the fridge to fix the line? I have replaced circuit boards and various other parts on our home fridge so I think I can do the repair if I can get to it.
3) When its light out I'll check the drain plug.

I didn't mention that we've had a cold weather storm with temps into the high 20s for a few days. We've kept the coach at 60 inside and have a heated water hose to the. Shore water. Our basement isn't heated though. I bought a tiny 250 watts heater to put in there but it hasn't seemed to be necessary. Also, the water bay is supposed to have asnap disc heater to protect it.
Could the icemaker line have frozen?
Old 12-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #6

Pulling out is not too hard. Pop the black trim off the edges and you will see phillips head screws. Pull them all out. Go to outside of the MH and pull the cover off the acess area. You will need to disconnect propane line ( obviously make sure propane is off), disconnect water line and unplug fridge and ice maker from electricity. Also, the 12V will need to most likely be disconnected.

I would also remove all the doors, but you don't have to. They weigh a ton so it makes it easier to remove the fridge. Once you are ready, start from the outside and push on the fridge from side to side working it about a 1/8th to 1/2 inch at a time. As it moves out, you can go inside and get a good hold of the sides. Continue the side to side progress. As more of the fridge comes out, it gets easier. I used a towel on the floor and two milk crates as a base for the fridge to rest on. Once out the towel allows for easy manuvering.

I would suggest that you have some aluminum duct tape handy. There will probably be some rubbing of the side insullation and you will want to cover the insullation back up so it it easier to install the fridge.

I honestly don't remember exactly how i fixed my leak, but it was simple enough. The ice maker hose should have a wire taped to it acting at a heater.

I am sure there are other ways to remove the fridge, but this has worked for me flying solo and I have had it out 3 times including installing an Amish unit solo.

Jake
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Almost forgot. There should also be some screws on the base of the fridge on the rear.

Jake
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Got it fixed by mobile RV tech. I don't know why I didn't see it when I looked, but he said the water line to the icemaker had come loose. Easy fix. I'm grateful,

Tags
door, leak, monaco, norcold