Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Leaking hydraulic leveler help needed

Our 2008 FR Georgetown 373 has Lippert Hydraulic leveling 4 jack system. I do not have the model number at this time as it is still in the shop and we pick it up tomorrow. We have a leak in the pump valve that controls the right rear jack. Took it to our local independent RV service shop that we have used several times in the past for service. They say that the individual valve or repair parts are not available from Lippert as it is too old and no parts available. Only option from them is to replace with a current unit for total parts and labor near $4K. Of course they said 10-14 business days to get the parts so a 2-3 week wait for parts then 2 days to install.

To make matters worse we are scheduled to leave on a 5 week trip we have had planned for months next Monday (4 days away).

They tested and they say it leaks down about 1/2" during an 8 hour day. I plan to test further tomorrow when I get it home.

My questions to those with more experience are:

1. are there parts available to fix the older Lippert hydraulics? if so who/where?

2. Tech suggested that we could do our vacation and just use a jack stand or bottle jack under the frame near the leaking jack to keep the rig level as a stop gap to get us through the trip. Any negatives to this as I thought this might be a good temporary fix.

3. I also thought about tying some stop leak in the hydraulic pump to see if that would stop the leak or at least slow it down some.

Any other thoughts or advice would also be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Not so sure about your Lippert system, but I had a leaking control solenoid on my HWH system (2008) and called La Messa RV in Tucson. They had parts, no problem. Also very knowledgeable parts woman! She knew right away what I was in need of, even listed off the part numbers and prices! And mine was the cheaper one! Score!

Popped in the new solenoid, topped up the oil, and we were off to the races again.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:39 AM   #3

You should be able to get parts. Several RV places sell parts, or you could get parts directly from LCI.

Good Luck...

Sent from my SM-G935V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the replies so far. Picking up MH at 1pm today and can then have model number for the system. I will give Mesa a call when I have the model number.

I will also check with some local hydraulic repair places to see if they also do motorhome systems.

Still interested in where to check for parts and info on whether the jack stand / bottle jack will get us through our vacation and whether or not anyone has tried to use some type of stop leak in their hydraulic system.

I appreciate the help and feedback.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #5

I dont trust companies that say the only way to fix a problem is to replace it.
My experience with LCI on leaking system is the problem seems to be in the jack unit, not the valves. LCI should be able to help you with the problem and help find an authorized dealer.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmck1737 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Picking up MH at 1pm today and can then have model number for the system. I will give Mesa a call when I have the model number.

I will also check with some local hydraulic repair places to see if they also do motorhome systems.

Still interested in where to check for parts and info on whether the jack stand / bottle jack will get us through our vacation and whether or not anyone has tried to use some type of stop leak in their hydraulic system.

I appreciate the help and feedback.
Any joy with getting parts?
I would be cautious about adding any additive to the oil. Maybe a small amount of Seafoam hydraulic additive.
Do you have any external leaks? Or is it just slowly dropping down?
Good luck with it and Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:11 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
it is definitely leaking at the solenoid for the right rear on the pump itself not the leveler ram. It appears stuck now and will not go down but I can manually level and then use a bottle jack, 20 ton, to use to stabilize that particular jack. That is the plan to make it through our planned month long trip which starts Monday.

Unplanned, I agree and decided not to use any type of stop leak as it may plug something I do not want to have plugged! Did not get the MH back until late yesterday so I did some internet searching last night and I will do more today. Was thinking RV parts and salvage parts places. I agree Fulltimer but Lippert said it was not still in production as it is 10 years old. Someone may have parts.

Also wondering if anyone has ever had one rebuilt or fixed by other than RV shop?

Thanks again for the help and advice.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff, have you called La Messa in Tucson? Ask for the parts dept. and hopefully they will have some good news for you.
Happy Glamping.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Jeff, have you called La Messa in Tucson? Ask for the parts dept. and hopefully they will have some good news for you.
Happy Glamping.
Thanks. They are on the list. Temporary fix with a bottle jack and manual leveling seems to work to get us through the next 4 1/2 weeks we had planned. Will start making parts calls and hope to find parts available. If not then the big decision on installing new system.

I will update next week after making the calls to parts places just in case someone else has the same issue.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Final Update

Just wanted to check back and provide info just in case someone else has similar problem and how I was able to fix it.

I was right, no need to replace entire hydraulic system like the shop wanted to do. However, finding parts was a challenge but I did have some good luck and help.

Basically, I needed 2 parts that failed on the system; the electromagnet coil and the cartridge valve.

The coil was a Deltrol and searching the part number I found them online. Ordered and it came in 3 days.

Searching for the cartridge valve was more of a challenge. It did have a number but web search come up empty. Went to a couple of local hydraulic shops with no luck. As a last resort went to local huge RV dealer that is now a CW and got a parts person willing to help. They called Lippert who were not much help but finally someone at Lippert said they thought the part was a Deltrol. Called Deltrol and confirmed the part was made for Lippert and they were able to look it up and find that they still make that valve with their part number. CW was not able to order it as they were not a dealer but I did find a local dealer to order it for me and have it drop shipped. Arrived last friday afternoon just after we left for a long weekend with the motorhome.

Got home yesterday and checked and the valves looked identical so I installed and..........it works perfectly. No leaks.

So instead of paying the service center 4K to install an entire new hydraulic system I spent 10-15 hours on internet, phone and driving around to find the $125 in parts and 20 minutes changing them out.

I would guess that most of the hydraulic parts on our units are Deltrol products so they or one of their dealers would be the best place to start a search for parts.

I know it was a long boring post but I hope it may help someone in the future.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #11

Really sad to see that Lippert was so useless in helping you with their own product.

Not sure of this is the same cartridge valve for your system, but here is one right off their web site

https://store.lci1.com/bi-directiona...-valve-deltrol
Old 09-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Really sad to see that Lippert was so useless in helping you with their own product.

Not sure of this is the same cartridge valve for your system, but here is one right off their web site

https://store.lci1.com/bi-directiona...-valve-deltrol
Yep, they apparently told the RV service center no parts available and when CW called I was standing there and helping explain to the lippert rep exactly what part I needed. They at least did point me to Deltrol.

The part shown looks similar but has a different number. That is the big issue with these cartridge valves from what I learned. There are a huge number of them made all with slight differences in thread, pitch, seal type, and what is inside the cartridge.

I do consider myself lucky and that Deltrol was able to find the correct part from the OEM number. Also cheaper than the one on the Lippert page

I think for anyone having issues with their hydraulic systems a call to Deltrol or a Deltrol dealer would be quickest way to a solution. I will keep a spare cartridge valve and coil available now just in case.

Tags
hydraulic, leak