Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #15

In my last paragraph I posted a 7805 regulator! Should have been 7812 regulator! Sorry about that.
lburson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:54 AM   #16

I'm pretty sure the OP's light is 12 volt no need for regulator / transformer. LEDs are wired straight up to 12 volt and cheap on amazon.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #17

Most LED's require some form of current limiting or they will fry. There are some that have a current limiter included in the LED package. Make sure of what you are buying.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #18

As was noted earlier the LED light string is spliced in to the original wiring for the florescent fixture and the old burn out ballast was left in place for some reason. I am not sure why. There are 2 switches for this bathroom fixture, one is an on/off switch on the ceiling fixture itself and the other is an on/off wall switch. Somehow the switch on the fixture had been turned off so when I tried to turn on the light at the wall switch as I always do it would not come one. That is when I found the scorching on the old ballast. With the switch on the fixture set to on I can now turn the light on and off as before at the wall switch.

But would like to clean this up and remove the old ballast and do away with the splice that is there now.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:04 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Most LED's require some form of current limiting or they will fry. There are some that have a current limiter included in the LED package. Make sure of what you are buying.
Usually the strips of LED lights have built in resistance, but a further current limiter will make it last longer. adonh, if you wished to brighten the fixture,you could add additional LED strips like these:

Cool White 5M Waterproof 300 LED 3528 SMD Flexible LED Light Lamp Strip DC 12V | eBay

I'd suggest buying some of these too, it makes wiring much quicker.

20 x Connector Wire Cable for LED Strip 3528 Single Color 8mm PCB No Welding | eBay

For $22 bucks you could do that fixture and still have most of the coil still left to add LEDs in other spots.

The ballast was probably left in place because they are usually riveted into the metal backing and have to be drilled out. If you take it off the ceiling you can also remove the porcelain fluorescent tube holders at either end and leave more room for LEDs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Usually the strips of LED lights have built in resistance, but a further current limiter will make it last longer. adonh, if you wished to brighten the fixture,you could add additional LED strips like these:

Cool White 5M Waterproof 300 LED 3528 SMD Flexible LED Light Lamp Strip DC 12V | eBay

I'd suggest buying some of these too, it makes wiring much quicker.

20 x Connector Wire Cable for LED Strip 3528 Single Color 8mm PCB No Welding | eBay

For $22 bucks you could do that fixture and still have most of the coil still left to add LEDs in other spots.

The ballast was probably left in place because they are usually riveted into the metal backing and have to be drilled out. If you take it off the ceiling you can also remove the porcelain fluorescent tube holders at either end and leave more room for LEDs.
Thanks, I will check on that. The light strip roll and connectors would work great. You are correct the old ballast is riveted in place. Thanks again.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They converted a Florcesent fixture to LED after the Florcesent inverter/ballast failed and scorched the fixture, the scorching (And the circuit board) have nothing to do with the LED, The conversion was also done improperly as the power leads to the board should have been cut. They are not needed.

Suggestion: If you want more light.. A set of BACK UP LAMPS (led type) will likely fit inside that fixture (if you are careful) and give you all the light you want.. I have a set of RACING lamps (look a lot like the strip you have) they are good night lights but I want more light for general lighting, Thus will get back up lights (I use one of the pair I have over the entrance steps Just right there and the other is rigged as a portable for assorted uses).