Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leveler jack leaking and won't fully retract (500384)

Power Gear (PG) leveler jack 500384 was leaking when it was fully extended, and wouldn't fully retract, it stuck down about an inch.

PG says jack 500384 is obsolete and must be replaced with 500384HR. Lets see if we can fix it instead of spending hundreds of dollars to replace it.

On disassembly, found the piston/guide had broken away from the top of the shaft. This allowed the shaft to over extend, and run out past the sealing o-ring. This is why it would squirt fluid out the grease fitting hole.

Then when retracting, the shaft would hit the piston that was jammed at the top of the cylinder, thus not fully retracting.

Since PG doesn't support this jack and no parts are available., I'll visit my local machine shop next week and see how much they'll charge me to make a couple new piston / guides..

If you'd be interested in a replacement piston for your 500384, send me a PM. I plan on making a couple extras. Stay tuned.

I added a lot more text and photos on my web site:

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack teardown – 1999 Southwind 35S

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack_500384_10_600.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	157708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack_500384_6_600.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	157709  

Name:	Jack_500384_9_600.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	157710  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 04:47 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Repair $35 or replace $1500

I made a new piston , installed new o-rings, seals, and shaft scraper.

Power Gear doesn't support this jack, says its obsolete, and to upgrade to the 500384HR jack at a cost of about $1600. Total cost to repair my old jack, $35

The new piston was machined out of PTFE, took about 30 minutes to make it.

Instead of using the small washer on the piston bolt, I used a larger washer so it would transfer the loads out to the edges of the piston, rather than the middle. This loading happens if the jack is extended full length and the piston is sitting on the bottom seal with the pump running.

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack re-assembly – 1999 Southwind 35S

PHOTOS

You can see the new piston I made next to the old piston. The only difference, I made the two small bleed holes a little smaller.

I replaced the washer. Note the original washer is small, you can see by looking at the photos that pressure pushed the bolt and washer right through the piston when the piston bottomed out in the cylinder. I used a larger washer. if the piston bottoms out, the large washer will transfer forces out to the edges of the piston, not the middle. Note the washer doesn't block the two small bleed holes.

Last photo - Shaft reassembled. I used Blue locktite on the bolt and let it sit all night to harden before inserting it in the cylinder
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PistonTop_12_800.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	158431   Click image for larger version

Name:	PistonTop_34_800.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	158432  

Name:	PistonTop_6_800.jpg