Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
It looks like Viking actually has a shorter version aimed toward this type of use. I didn't see a product weight listed on their site, but the Rack Jack 4x4 is listed at 84" lifting height when the receiver is 18" off the ground. I believe that makes it about 30" shorter than the RACK JACK II. Still has 300# rated lifting capacity and 600# rated winch. I assume it could still be used with the separately available ground stand instead of the hitch receiver, but I didn't see that explicitly stated. The 4x4 is listed at Vikings website at $149.99, but they list the II at $159.99. I think I've seen it advertised as low as ~$120.

https://www.vikingsl.com/rack-jack-4x4/

Reading some of the reviews for the RACK JACK 4x4 made me reconsider moving it closer to the truck bed even though the multi-function tailgate swings out of the way, I hadn't considered the hitch dividing the opening in half. That might still be OK for the generator, but would be limiting for other potential uses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl241 View Post
We just bought a Honda Eu3000is and are headed out to Montana with our 24 ft pull behind camper. I knew it was heavy but didn't think about the logistics of getting in and out of the truck.

I found the portable lifting tool, which is about $100 and thought about ramps. But both of those will take up precious cargo space.

Just wondering if anyone has and DIY lifters or any other ideas for us.
Just how heavy is it? I understand one person lifting 100# in and out of a truck, but how about a couple straps, with handles on it, so 2 people can lift it.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
25ft 30 amp cord just reaches the electric port. Gen set stays on the rack and I add the cord. Yours in the truck maybe even closer, leave it locked in the truck and power up. BTW wife made a vinyl cover for the weather.

I probably will leave it in place either in the truck bed or on a Stromberg Carlson tongue rack while traveling. However, I see times where we may need to remove it whichever way we carry it. Actually, I see a multitude of potential uses for the hoist unrelated to this specific activity, just not enough to permanently install one in the truck bed. I've had my eye on the tongue rack for a while, but we haven't traveled enough to justify it so far. Hoping to change that soon.

This is the tray: https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...-model-cc-255/
Old 06-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
The other option is, depending on your trucks setup, is a DC-DC charger. I have a 40A Renogy DC-DC and when my truck is running it will dump 26-29A into my batteries just idling.

Then no lifting a genset and you just need to be able to park your truck near the trailer to plug it in
The OP is not going to run air conditioners with his truck alternator.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The OP is not going to run air conditioners with his truck alternator.
I know. I goofed and thought this was another person with a big 12V upgrade that could run their ac like I can.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear Local View Post
Does it vibrate the trailer?
No it does not. You can see it's chained to the rack so it doesn't get feet. Yes a thief wants it he can get it with a multitude of portable cutting tools. Generators been on the rack almost 4 years setting on a foam pad and covered by a home made cover, 100LBS can be lifted by one but two handles makes double lifting easy. Lifted once in all those years. I got this before they had electric start and if buying again would buy that. With the pull start it's go out no matter the weather.

Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #21

Lifting a heavy generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
get an extension cord for the RV and leave it in the truck bed?

Leave the generator in the truck and run a cord does seem like the most obvious solution to me too.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:29 PM   #22

I put a set of Wheels from amazon on my generator to be able to move it around. I made a ramp the length of the bed of my pick up truck using some 2x10 lumber. And i bought an extra extension power cord. When I can I leave the gene in the bed of the truck and if I have to I use the ramp and lower it up.
Two pieces of 2x10 don't take that much space.
el pibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
Leave the generator in the truck and run a cord does seem like the most obvious solution to me too.

I understand now, the OP was frustrated with getting it in and out of the truck. I was walking by a man, in the Costco parking lot, trying to lift his new generator into his truck. My B wife said “help him”. OMG! I about ripped my arm off. So heavy! A ramp would be my first thought.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:01 AM   #24

I use a Stromberg Carlson cargo carrier that mounts over the front trailer frame. My generator is right at 100 lbs. I don't move it.

Here is a pic from eTrailer's website:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 10.59.11 PM.png
Views:	14
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	334163  
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Here's the rack I have on my 5W. https://store.lci1.com/flip-down-sto...-strg-sys.html
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl241 View Post
We just bought a Honda Eu3000is and are headed out to Montana with our 24 ft pull behind camper. I knew it was heavy but didn't think about the logistics of getting in and out of the truck.

I found the portable lifting tool, which is about $100 and thought about ramps. But both of those will take up precious cargo space.

Just wondering if anyone has and DIY lifters or any other ideas for us.
Have similar problem, plus back limits.
So we run our 2 synced units from the PU bed. Rain etc may be an issue some day.

As an alternative, I use 2 2x4's 36" long each with an i-bolt as a connection & pivot point.

We stand the 2x4's in the tailgate (TG) gap & run a rope from front of the bed to the 2x4 cross point.

@ the cross point we hang a rope. The rope goes down thru a pully connected to the genny, then up to another pully @ the cross point, then down & thru the genny pully, back up thru the x point pully & out.

We pull on the upper rope till the genny is @ TG height & push it onto the TG.

You might use longer 2x4's but these we have to use as wind-outriggers on the rig.

We put a tie from 1 TG side around the left foot of the rigging, to the right foot, to the other TG side for safety & to keep everything in place.
Mot W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
I use a 'hideaway' truck crane for things like heavy generators. The stand tucks behind the fender well and the arm stows above the fenderwell, really minimizing space.

Also fits below tonnau covers... but double check the that the latches don't interfere.

Harbor Freight and Northern Tool have them for about $120. Note, you likely won't be able to lift the Max rating of 1,000 lbs unless you add some reinforcements that connect the base plate to the truck frame.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pickup...ity-60732.html

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...2540_200672540Attachment 333467
I used one of those both to handle the 5er hitch and load other heavy objects.
Underneath I had a 1" steel plate welded to the frame against the dually truck-bed, another on top between lift and truck-bed. It worked quite well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I used one of those both to handle the 5er hitch and load other heavy objects.
Underneath I had a 1" steel plate welded to the frame against the dually truck-bed, another on top between lift and truck-bed. It worked quite well.
1" steel plate on top and bottom! You ain't messing around! I wouldn't want to pay the shipping charges on those. haha.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator