Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I used one of those both to handle the 5er hitch and load other heavy objects.
Underneath I had a 1" steel plate welded to the frame against the dually truck-bed, another on top between lift and truck-bed. It worked quite well.
Exactly what I installed only I used a 1/4" 12x12 piece under the crane. Lifts the Honda 3000i just fine.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #30

If a thief wants something bad enough they will steal it. Regardless of what you have done. If you are having a hard time lifting the generator, so will the thief. Put it at the front of your bed and use a good quality cable or chain lock to attach it to the bed. Add a roll-up tonneau and keep all the things in your bed covered when not in use. To use the generator, clear the exhaust of any obstacles and run an extension cord to your trailer. No need to move anything. My generator goes into the truck before I reinstall the fifth wheel hitch. Stays there until it's time to remove the hitch to clear the bed. I either get a helper to lend a hand or I use the tractor bucket. The goal is not to make the generator theft proof, it is to make the other guys easer to steal.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #31

I have one of these. I lift it into my truck by myself. What's with you wussies?

Bob aka "in traction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
25ft 30 amp cord just reaches the electric port. Gen set stays on the rack and I add the cord. Yours in the truck maybe even closer, leave it locked in the truck and power up. BTW wife made a vinyl cover for the weather.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #32

I like this. looks like it is pretty compact to keep in the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
The Viking Solutions Rack Jack II is the best option I've found so far:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hunting-and...10-VRJ001.html

They offer a ground stand to use it without connecting it to the hitch:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...10-VRJ002.html

Some of the reviewers of the Viking on etrailer mentioned shortening it. Since it's built for dressing wild game, it's quite tall. I might consider shortening the upper section and the draw bar that goes into the hitch. My new RAM My new RAM will have the multi-function tailgate, so I don't need to extend as far out to load.

Still watching for better alternatives and thinking about how to build something.

OP might comment on their criteria, but here is mine:
  • Solution needs to be portable. Not looking just to get it in the back of the truck at home and leave it. Although I might use it in the back of the truck, I see occasions when that would be a problem.
  • Solution should not be permanently attached to the vehicle. I only use the generator occasionally and I think a truck crane would get in the way for most other truck use. Especially with rambox truck bed.
  • Ideally solution should not require drilling or other permanent modifications to the truck.
  • Solution should be transferable to other vehicles with minimal effort.
  • Ideally solution should support loading the generator into the truck bed or a tongue mounted rack on the trailer.
  • Solution should be compact, easy to store, and fit within the closed bed with tonneau cover.
    • Ramps might be a good option, but take a lot of space and with 4x4 short bed, ramps that fit in bed might be a steep climb.
  • Shouldn't be more than half the weight of the generator. The lighter the better.
  • Ideally wouldn't have to remove the weight distributing hitch from the truck in order to use the receiver.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I have one of these. I lift it into my truck by myself. What's with you wussies?

Bob aka "in traction"
LMAO
rlilly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #34

I had a similar problem maneuvering our 5th wheel hitch during the install.

My solution was a block & tackle and oak tree limb. B & Ts are light, compact, & easy to stow.

Drawback is that you must camp amongst the trees.....
rlilly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #35

One of our members has a 5er, he fabricated a mount above his pin box that holds his genset. He said it's easy to work on, just back his truck tailgate under the pin box and the genset is waist-high.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator