Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #57

Four 6V golf cart batteries have thicker plates giving you more power! A 12V requires twice the plates and therefore twice the insulators. In addition they make the plates thinner giving you less power and making the battery more prone to failure!
josephf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I switched from group 31 agm batteries as my go to on RVs and boats to lithiums a few years ago. The breakeven I calculate is about 5 years. The battleborn batteries are warranted for 10 years. I've already removed the two lithiums from a prior RV and am installing them in my new RV and bought a third as I have room. I'll do the same if the perfect RV I just bought turns out to not be as perfect as it felt when I bought it. You have to cut the cost differential in half as the lithiums give their full rated capacity vs. 50% of flooded lead acid. Particularly with the extended storage RVs often get, the lack of maintenance of flooded lead acid batteries significantly cut they lifespan.
aaurbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:37 PM   #59

Being a Scotsman and German by heritage I am not driven to look for the latest and greatest things on which to spend money, but I am always researching products and technology for better, or less expensive, ways of doing things. Since their first appearance, I have (several times) compared Lithium with lead acid batteries from every approach I can imagine.

I have been RVing for over 35 years and driving class A's for nineteen. Counting RV's, boats, UTV, jet skis, boat lifts, cars, golf carts, trucks and other vehicles I currently have 36 batteries. All are lead acid. I have push button watering systems on 18 of them. I usually get about 5-6 years out of each battery but some are close to ten years old. How do I do that? By watching the water level never goes below the places, never fully discharging them, keeping the corrosion cleaned off the terminals / cables and by keeping them on cheap Harbor Freight trickle chargers when they are not in use.

When combined with the use of shore power, the vehicle's generator or two solar panels, the lead acid batteries do everything I need, including power the 2000W inverter for our all electrical Class A's needs.

Until Lithium batteries come down "considerably" in price I see neither the need nor justification for their purchase.
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #60

Could be for a rig with a big generator

For those that don’t have a big generator lithium rules. Lead Acid to me is that guy in storage ruining the concrete floor with his acid drips

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg99 View Post
Lithium batteries cost 5 times+ more than golf cart batteries from Costco. I get 5 years from golf cart batteries with minimum maintenance. No special charging required - just plug in, generator, drive and solar panels. All my requirements are covered.

To break even (not counting the fact that the extra lithium $$ can be invested) I'd have to have the same motorhome for 25 years.That will not happen. I will not even alive in 25 years.

So why buy lithium? Is it just the latest "big deal"?
hforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #61

Absolutely not worth it
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #62

Since this thread has veered away from facts, and is really just an opinion joust, let’s just say if you’re happy with what you have, keep it. My opinion is, If someone offered me a lifetime supply of FLA, golf cart, or AGM batteries for free, I would graciously decline their offer because those battery technologies can’t give me what I want no matter how cheap they are. If you offered me a free tent to camp in instead of an RV, which would I choose…now let me think about it. Ok, I’ll spend more money on my RV.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntina View Post
Horsemanure! Been using golf cart batteries forever. Easy to take care of and cheap. I usually get six to seven years. The only bad thing is weight. When lithium batteries become reasonable I will probably convert. Until then each to their own.
Horse manure! I have been using FLA for over 30 years, and the best thing I ever did with my RV was getting rid of those antiques. I only regret not switching sooner.

“My thought is that they are not worth it for those that are happy with their current lead acid batteries.”

Of course they are not worth it to people who are happy with lead acid batteries. There are, however, a lot of people who are NOT happy with lead acid batteries.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #64

See Peurkert’s Law

The rated amp hour is based on a 5amp pull, that’s not much. If you use your battery for anything other than a few LED lights you are going over 5 amps. This mean you will not get even close to the rated amp hours. Not even 50% of the rated amp hours. What this means is you can buy half to a quarter of the rated amp hours in lithium. So the cost comparison should not be based on rated amp hours.

Also this is 30 year old technology.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law
Tskadberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
400 ah of lifepo4 for 1200.00 - 1400.00 I paid 1350.00 you need 800ah of lead for the same power so you need 8 225 ah 6 volts at what 99 a pop that’s 800.00

5x the cost is not true look get your facts straight before posting things that are not true.

Even if you go with the most expensive lifepo4 at 900 for 100ah that’s only 3600.00 a far cry from 5 TIMES the cost.

I call FAKE NEWS!

LiFePo batteries are proven superior is so many ways and really no longer need to be defended against FLA batteries. It was not until I converted that I found the many other ways that they pay for themselves maybe in just generator runtime and generator fuel over a year or 2. I was not going to post any response to the OP due to the fact he/she does not know what they are talking about and is obvious but more so because I think it is someone sitting at home with nothing to do but poke a hornet nest and see what kind outrage can be wrought with a stupid post.
rfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post

“My thought is that they are not worth it for those that are happy with their current lead acid batteries.”

Of course they are not worth it to people who are happy with lead acid batteries. There are, however, a lot of people who are NOT happy with lead acid batteries.

Well said! Lithium are certainly less maintenance.
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:25 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Lithium batteries cost 5 times+ more than golf cart batteries from Costco. I get 5 years from golf cart batteries with minimum maintenance. No special charging required - just plug in, generator, drive and solar panels. All my requirements are covered.

To break even (not counting the fact that the extra lithium $$ can be invested) I'd have to have the same motorhome for 25 years.That will not happen. I will not even alive in 25 years.

We purchased a 2006 Monaco Executive , and it has a home refer. The unit came with 8 batteries ,, would it be worth changing to four Lithium batteries
we live full time in the Motorhome, and have property in AZ and in ID. we belong to CC and RPI and a lifetime member of Passport America. so don't do any Boondocking at all. Any Ideas here ? thanks
Mike Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My opinion, FWIW, is that if you don't boondock or even if only a few days a year, lithium is not worth the expense. When my 2 FLA's die, I'm going to replace them with a big honking AGM. Living in the midwest, we seldom get a chance to boondock and almost always have an electrical hookup. (State or COE park). Can't justify the expense of lithium.
YMMV.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #69

Quote:

I turned to lifepo4
Why : I can use 90% of the capacity. Will last over 10 years , and NO maintenance , no corrosion , no smell 😊
1996 E350 based Triple E C-21 with 460 ,A4OD ;4:10 gears , 400hp/500ft torque ,it hauls good !!
1986 Jeep CJ7 , quite modded , on 35" both lockers, 4:10 gears tera lo T/Case .
BigDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:19 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Hal View Post
Until Lithium batteries come down "considerably" in price I see neither the need nor justification for their purchase.
The Chinese are flooding the market with Lithium batteries right now. I can get 5000Wh for $1300, it weighs 1/3 of lead acid and needs no maintenance.
Nomadist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium