Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Okay. Where? I won't believe it until I see it.
Price just went up by $200. Still a good deal, though:

https://shop.signaturesolar.us/produ...battery-by-eg4

They are having trouble keeping them in stock.
Nomadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #114

My Motorhome has a Generator for power and that is what I use it for. Crank it and let run , donít worry about solar or lithium. And how much fuel can you buy for the price of a solar & lithium system set up ? My calculations say you can buy many gallons of fuel , this is just my opinion and it is just an armpit everybody has one ÖÖ..
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:26 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
My Motorhome has a Generator for power and that is what I use it for. Crank it and let run , donít worry about solar or lithium. And how much fuel can you buy for the price of a solar & lithium system set up ? My calculations say you can buy many gallons of fuel , this is just my opinion and it is just an armpit everybody has one ÖÖ..
Well, sure, generators are great, but lots of places have pretty severe restrictions on when you can use them, if at all. Not a problem for some but everybody camps differently.

Jmho.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:31 AM   #116

Quote:
One of the reasons I went 100% boondocking/dry camping ...... I can avoid neighbors running generators over long hours.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:33 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
You forgot "no weightlifting required".
X2 and no more back operations (or weeks on pain killers trying to avoid an operation).
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:59 AM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I easily get 8-12 years from flooded cell batteries. The secret is using 2 oz of mineral oil per cell. And then my lackadaisical service routine isn't so important to battery life since the water stays in the cells. Doesn't hurt to have a 'smart' converter so they're not overcharged like in the old days.
Now that's what I wanted to hear. I'm using 2 Oz mineral oil to prevent out gassing to stop all the corrosion. My batteries are 7 years old.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:42 AM   #119

Quote:
My Motorhome has a Generator for power and that is what I use it for. Crank it and let run , donít worry about solar or lithium. And how much fuel can you buy for the price of a solar & lithium system set up ? My calculations say you can buy many gallons of fuel
It's not all about $'s though. I've been in some beautiful locations since going fulltime in April and it bugs me that I have to run my (loud) generator in these pristine locations. Enjoying nature is one of the primary reasons I'm trying this lifestyle.

I just bought a new Generac that is the quietest I've heard at the 3000W power level and at least that helps for the two hours a day I run it to fill up my battery on cool days. But it needs to run 6+ hours on the hot daysóthat's what I want to get away from especially.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg99 View Post
I guess that those who seemed to take offence at my thread did not notice that there was a question mark in the title. In other words, it was a question, NOT an absolute statement.
Here is an eye roll for you:

You added a question mark to the end of a statement as a title. Then, your first sentence in the thread was another statement of fact that was not accurate. "Lithium batteries cost 5 times+ more than golf cart batteries from Costco. "

Folks pointed these things out, expanded on other factors, and answered the questions at the end of your post with their experiences. Then you walked back your position just a bit, and admitted you are slow to adopt new technology, and that maybe the cost is 3x more and not 5x more. Then you sent a "Fake News" shot across the bow.

It's okay to have different opinions, especially as it relates to addressing different needs. SLA are fine for some. LifePO are right for others. The OP wasn't positioned in that way, and people noticed. I actually think the "offence" taken was exactly what you were looking for, but I can't be sure of course.

Anyway, it happens, and the good news is some folks reading probably learned a few things.

Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Interesting to hear. We are ordering a trailer in the next 8 to 16 weeks. The manufacture has an option for LFP. Seriously thinking about going that way although weíll probably only have it for 6 or 7 years. Thanks for the input.
When you say the manufacturer is offering a lithium option, are the components their option, or your option. IMHO, it does little good to pay a manufacturer 150-200% more than the cost DIY for an install using inferior components. Doing a install of LiFePo4/inverter charger/batt monitor/mppt/solar is not very complicated, and you donít have to do it all at the same time. Even if you have to hire somebody to get into the tight spaces or under the rig in the dead of winter, itís way cheaper to buy your own stuff, install as much as you can, and draw wire diagrams of your design for paid help. Some level of DIY will also afford you the advantage choosing your preferred components, and of planning and designing for future upgrades.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
When you say the manufacturer is offering a lithium option, are the components their option, or your option. IMHO, it does little good to pay a manufacturer 150-200% more than the cost DIY for an install using inferior components. Doing a install of LiFePo4/inverter charger/batt monitor/mppt/solar is not very complicated, and you donít have to do it all at the same time. Even if you have to hire somebody to get into the tight spaces or under the rig in the dead of winter, itís way cheaper to buy your own stuff, install as much as you can, and draw wire diagrams of your design for paid help. Some level of DIY will also afford you the advantage choosing your preferred components, and of planning and designing for future upgrades.
Yah itís a good point and before we order weíll check out the components. I have the skill set to do it as well. But I believe the converter they now install as stock is specifically lithium compatible. Unfortunately I donít know what that is...yet. Iíll look into it.

The good thing about the model we are looking at is the batteries are installed inside under the bed almost over the axle. So no temperature issues.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Yah itís a good point and before we order weíll check out the components. I have the skill set to do it as well. But I believe the converter they now install as stock is specifically lithium compatible. Unfortunately I donít know what that is...yet. Iíll look into it.

The good thing about the model we are looking at is the batteries are installed inside under the bed almost over the axle. So no temperature issues.

Thanks for the tip.
You can do that install for half the price of mfr or dlr install. With the money you save you can buy top notch components and skip the charger swap-out in favor of a 2000w or larger inverter/charger. Youíll be glad you did, and youíll get lots of other advantages. Only issue you might have is the under-coach portion in winter. PM me if you want a cost breakdown. If others want it, Iíll post here. Also likely someone who has the TT model you want has already done it, and can offer better advice than me.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
You can do that install for half the price of mfr or dlr install. With the money you save you can buy top notch components and skip the charger swap-out in favor of a 2000w or larger inverter/charger. Youíll be glad you did, and youíll get lots of other advantages. Only issue you might have is the under-coach portion in winter. PM me if you want a cost breakdown. If others want it, Iíll post here. Also likely someone who has the TT model you want has already done it, and can offer better advice than me.
Thanks for the offer. When it comes time Iíll keep it in mind.

Cheers.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #125

Reworking w/48V

== The 12VDC / 24VDC / 48VDC Choice ==
Another thing to consider is going 48V instead of 12V. When I first stumbled across the idea I said to myself, "I don't need that, it's too much for what I'm doing!" and quickly pushed through specing a 12VDC system.

Well, here I am, 11 months later specing a 48V system.

The primary reason is so that I can install a 38-SEER mini-split heat pump. Once a unit goes above 25 SEER or so they run at 240V.

I want that efficient of a unit so that I can run all night off battery in cooling mode and run at high during the day in 110 įF heat with about 1300W of solar (rated; actual likely will be no more than 1100W since they will lie flat).

The current 23-year old Coleman/Dometic ac unit uses ~1400W to produce 13500 BTU of cooling. No way I can run it only off solar without dipping into the batteries. But then how do the batteries charge if I'm using all the juice for cooling? (I understand the newer units are not much more efficientóa major failing of the manufacturers, in my view.)

And it's so loud I want to throw it in the lake in front of me right now because I work fulltime in the rig. The mini-splits are whisper-quiet once they've reached the set temperature.

This 38-SEER model should use about 900W to produce 9000 BTU of cooling. That will be needed only during the day and only on the hottest days. At night, its lowest power draw is about 250W. That can easily be handled by the 5kWh battery I'm looking at with plenty left over to brew my morning coffee.

10 hours x 0.25 kWh x 10% inverter loss = 2.75kWh

All the above means buying:
ē a 240V 5000W inverter with 48V input and a built-in MPPT solar charger (looking at the Growatt 5000 ES at the suspiciously low price of $899)
ē a 48V 5kWh battery ($1500)
ē a 240V to 120V transformer ($400)
ē a 120V to 48VDC 25amp lithium charger ($259)
ē 4 residential solar panels ($200 each)

It's possible to do the above with 12VDC but then the cables have to carry more amps making them more expensive and the equipment is more expensive (also because they need to handle more amps). One bonus is that I get a much larger inverter out of this; my microwave causes my current 120V 2000W inverter to pop making it usable only when I'm running the generator or connected to shore power.

Prices have really come down. I paid $1200 for my 12VDC 2.5kWh battery last November. Now, 11 months later, I'm getting double the storage for just 25% more cost.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used 12VDC 2.5kWh LiPo battery? ;-)

This fellow did it with a 120V system but he would redo it with a 48V system if he were to re-do it.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #126

Quote:

Noise, is the first reason I got rid of my gen
Silence is golden
1996 E350 based Triple E C-21 with 460 ,A4OD ;4:10 gears , 400hp/500ft torque ,it hauls good !!
1986 Jeep CJ7 , quite modded , on 35" both lockers, 4:10 gears tera lo T/Case .
BigDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium